TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhillyDogg

2002= Worst WWE/WWF Year Ever?

Guest CanadianChick

No, we had some great matches this year. Sure, the storylines sucked, but there was some good quality wrestling.

Guest Austin3164life

Can we say 1995? Yeah there a few (if that) quality matches, but the storylines were terrible and the whole "hoss" focus was killing the WWF that year. 2002 is in the top 5 of worst years though, IMO.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

I think 1995 & 1996 were both worse than this year. Smackdown post-Summerslam was great, and there were good matches.

1995 was just terrible aside from a pretty good Survivor Series, and had the worst WWF PPV ever (KOTR 95). Like it or not, the Brock Lesnar mega-push was a success. King Mabel was not.

1996 had a better main event thanks to the exploits of Shawn Michaels & Bret Hart. Steve Austin was always entertaining, but EVERYTHING else was terrible. Warrior returns. Ahmed Johnson mega-push. Fake Diesel & Razor. It was a terrible year.

1999 was also worse than 2002, although not financially. There were some great moments, but nothing that occurred in the ring where it counts. The worst Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania & Survivor Series all come from this year, as well as the second worst King of the Ring. Vince wins the Rumble and is the higher power? IC Champs Val Venis, Road Dogg, Goldust, Chyna & Godfather? Jericho has a huge entrance only to job clean to Chyna in two months? One of the biggest bait and switches of all time at Survivor Series? King Ass? It was a terrible year, I would even place it worse than 1995, simply because some good managed to come out of it.

Guest razazteca

No just a very bad year for RAW

Smackdown makes it just an average year barely

Guest The Notorious CRD

2002 was nothing compared to 1994, so no last year was not even close to being the worst IMO.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Why does everybody hate 1994 so much? Aside from the Undertaker (his worst year), it wasn't too bad. 1995 was the year in which the bad stuff from 1994 was intensified and the good stuff held back.

2002 wasn't too bad of a year if I was able to create about 10 and a half videos out of the entire year, starting with the Rumble. And that's even with clipped matches and never taping a full show (only taping what I want).

Guest papacita
IC Champs Val Venis, Road Dogg, Goldust, Chyna & Godfather? Jericho has a huge entrance only to job clean to Chyna in two months?

SHE WAS A GOOD CHAMPION, DAMN IT!!! SHE WAS A GOOD CHAMPION!!!!!!!! :firedevil:

95-97 was the height of my mark period so I liked most of the stuff the WWF was putting out.

99 did go downhill after WMXV, but I'd say 2002 was definitely the worst since I've been watching. I love good wrestling as much as anyone else, but it's lost on me when there aren't good storylines to back it up.

Guest wwF1587

Definetly in the top five worst years. My vote goes to 95 though.... even if i was a dumb mark then... KING MABEL MY ASS!

Guest DerangedHermit

1995, hands down. 2002 was made passable by the Smackdown side of things, while 1995 had Big Daddy Stool, King Piece of Crap, and the increase of "wrestler has another job" gimmicks.

Guest EternallyLazy

2002 was nowhere near as bad as 1999... we just tend to ignore it because 99 was an extremely successful year financially as opposed to 1995

Guest Kid Kablam

Personally I feel that 2002 is the worst because it involves a wasting of the abundance of talent.

Guest bob_barron
I think so, also 1994 was pretty piss poor. Your thoughts

How is 1994 one of the worst years ever?

Guest Eagan469
I think so, also 1994 was pretty piss poor. Your thoughts

what the hell was wrong with 94?

Guest Angle-plex

I don't care what everyone else says. 1994, '95', and '99 may not have had great matches or ring work, but I was MUCH more entertained watching then compared to now. I can barely even turn on RAW anymore.

Guest Kahran Ramsus
I don't care what everyone else says. 1994, '95', and '99 may not have had great matches or ring work, but I was MUCH more entertained watching then compared to now. I can barely even turn on RAW anymore.

RAW is worse than 1995 or 1999, but Smackdown brings it up. PPVs are at least watchable now, and Smackdown shows, even Velocity, entertain me more than say 2001 even.

2002 was a bad year, but there was more than enough good to prevent it from being the worst. I haven't seen anything before the Hogan era, so given that I would place it fifth worst.

Guest HorsemenGlory

In my mind 1995 was the worst year simply because the main event for Wrestlemania was made because Bam Bam and LT had an interaction after the Tag Team title match. Not too mention the second biggest match of the year was Mabel/Diesel. 1995 was the worst year ever, period.

Guest snuffbox

Considering the unbelievable amount of fuckups last year, fuckups that have seriously wounded the company, I would say that 2002 was at least one of the few worst years in wwe/f history.

Guest T®ITEC

I never got to see '94 & '95, but '99 made me start watching WCW again. WWF was putting on the most lame stuff that year.

2002 was the year that pretty much made up my mind for me, as far as WWE. 2002 was the year that I actually stopped watching, so... I'd say 2002 would be in the top three worst years.

Guest the pinjockey

How about this question: Was 2002 the worst year for blowing potential? With the greatest roster ever they managed to produce 8 months of awful TV save for a few matches before the SD6 came together.

Although I do not think 2002 was the worst year, I can see the potential for it as the one live event I went to was KOTR in Columbus. That crowd was so hot and was begging to pop for something, but the matches were so dull. It may not have been the worst, but I've never considered stop watching wrestling until October with as crappy as Raw was, if we could break it down to months and "brands", Raw this past October wins hands down.

Guest ISportsFan

Why is there so much 1994 hate? Bret had the most dominating run on top of the card in his career, bringing out ***1/2+ matches on every PPV (even with DIESEL at KOTR 1994!). Bret v. Owen occured twice, in the greatest opening match ever at WMX and the greatest WWE-style cage match in history at SummerSlam, and they had one of the best angles in the history of the company. Bret v. Backlund was an excellent lesson in psychology, and ****.

Owen Hart won the King of the Ring. This was the year he was closest to a main eventer in his WWE career. Also, he had more great matches in this year than any other he had in his WWE tenure.

There was a minor thing in there, too, that changed the landscape of WWE (and wrestling itself)... the first PPV ladder match (which was ***** with Michaels and Ramon) at WrestleMania X.

1995 has about 1/5 the goodness that 1994 had. And worse, Mabel v. Diesel as a SummerSlam main event (which has to be negative points). Yet, there seems to be so much 1994 hate.

Jason

Guest Eagan469

my personal classifications of the last 10 years of WWE/F:

1993 - transition (Hogan to mid-carders)

1994 - rebirth (New Generation)

1995 - overkill (New Generation...again)

1996 - unsurity (stale gimmicks)

1997 - death to the gimmicks

1998 - renaissance (Austin, DX)

1999 - back in the mainstream

2000 - prosperity (great writing, great morale)

2001 - too much of a good thing (booking goes downhill starting at X-7)

2002 - year of the quick-fixes (nWo, Steiner, Rock's stint)

2003 - it hits the fan (?)

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't think people really realize how awful 93 was. Raw was full of jobber squashes and terrible gimmicks, with the only bright points being a few fun matches out of the Kliq, before they meant anything. Hogan was still an asshole, WM 9 was EASILY the worst WM ever, the 93 Rumble was the second worst, KOTR had an excellent Bret/Perfect match, and nothing else of note, other than Hogan being jobbed out, 93 Summerslam was absolutely horrendous, with a disappointing HBK/Perfect match, and the best match on the card being Tatanka/Smoking Gunns vs. Bigelow/Headshrinkers. Fun match, I swear to god. Survivor series was pretty brutal as well.

Even then, it was STILL better than what WCW was putting out, and THAT's saying something.

95 was indeed wretched, and certainly the worst year since 93, but at least it had Michaels' rise to fame, as well as the beginnings of Bret's second run on top.

99's third worst, IMO, if only because it was so damn forgettable.

2002 was indeed bad, but there were still a few bright matches here and there. Kind of like 2001 on a much lesser scale.

Nothing touches 93, in my book.

Guest The Hamburglar

From what I've seen, '99 looks like the most horrible shit imaginable. I can see no matches that came out of '99 that I'd actually want to see. Fuck finance, there was no wrestling.

Guest Angle-plex
I don't think people really realize how awful 93 was. Raw was full of jobber squashes and terrible gimmicks, with the only bright points being a few fun matches out of the Kliq, before they meant anything. Hogan was still an asshole, WM 9 was EASILY the worst WM ever, the 93 Rumble was the second worst, KOTR had an excellent Bret/Perfect match, and nothing else of note, other than Hogan being jobbed out, 93 Summerslam was absolutely horrendous, with a disappointing HBK/Perfect match, and the best match on the card being Tatanka/Smoking Gunns vs. Bigelow/Headshrinkers. Fun match, I swear to god. Survivor series was pretty brutal as well.

Even then, it was STILL better than what WCW was putting out, and THAT's saying something.

At least Sting and Vader would producing **** matches that year though.