1. 1. Microsoft thoughts

• just misunderstood.
    • evil.
    • evil.
    • evil.
    • evil.

Guest pacguy

Trust me they are EVIL.

They want to control everybody's appliances, last thing i want is to see a blue light inside the  fridge with an error.

Guest pacguy
Get the Refrigerator XP then, it doesn't have BSOD, hehe.

yes, if you leave it alone. but what aboutwhen i try use it???

besides,the fridge door would remained locked until you registered with microsoft, and reset after power-outs.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Dude, I wish I could say that in 2 months I've had any sort of problem with Windows XP.  Id love to.  But I can't.  No problems even installing it over Windows ME or with any software other than EZ CD Creator which is built into XP.  I like the fact that in 2 months, the system has crashed exactly 2 times.

I like the fact that it doesnt take 20 minutes to boot up (about 8-12 seconds) and 2 years to shut down (about 10-15 seconds)  You can hate it all you want, but if you download the security patches, its the best OS MS has put out. I dont have a problem registering my software and all if it means that they can start cracking down on people who pirate software.  Pirated software= more cost to the consumer.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Well.  When shutting down, it saves your settings.  The more settings you tinker with the longer it takes to save those settings and thus it takes longer.  But, when I haven't experienced what I refer to as shutdown hang, where you'd try to shutdown but it would just hang and you'd have to manual shutdown that would wreck everything..

Guest DrTom

MS is a tough call for me.  They've done a lot of good for software, and computing in general.  At the same time, they've done a lot of harm to software, and computing in general, and their shady business practices have landed them in well-deserved hot water.

They DO make some good products, despite what a lot of people say.  MS has gone for functionality and ease of use, which appeals to most computer users.  In doing that, though, they sacrificed security, and their products are basically Swiss cheese in that respect.  The patches help, except when the patches themselves cause new problems.

I think Bill Gates' recent commitment to security over anything else is a PR move and little more.  They'd have to retrain their entire programming staff, as well as their software consumers, who know what to expect when they buy an MS product.

The "browser wars" were a matter of indifference to me, as I always preferred IE to Netscrape anyway.  Incidentally, Opera is very good, but IE 6 is better than all the others in the field IMODO.  Had the government gone after MS when Office was racking up the market share, nearly bankrupting Corel and forcing Lotus (IBM) to be a bit player, they might have had a better case.  Incidentally, MS gave a bunch of money to Corel to prop them up; draw your own conclusions about that one.

I think their business practices toss them into "Evil" in the final judgment.

Guest Hogan Made Wrestling

I've had some problems with Windows, like any user (I'm currently on ME, which is much better than 98SE and has a bad rap for some reason), but ultimately I get what I need out of it, and I'd much rather be using it than Linux (decent OS but not enough software) or Mac OS X (best Mac OS, but still not even close to as good as Windows, plus you have to overpay for hardware).