TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lethargic

The NBA Deadline Trade

Guest Lethargic

Deal gives Grizzlies a shooter, Magic inside help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

Orlando and Memphis pulled off the first big trade before Thursday's NBA deadline, agreeing to a four-player deal that sent Mike Miller and Ryan Humphrey from the Magic to the Grizzlies for rookies Drew Gooden and Gordan Giricek.

A news conference was scheduled for 10 p.m. ET Wednesday night to announce the trade.

"While we are certainly sorry to see Mike move on, we have addressed our needs with the additions of Drew and Gordan," Magic GM John Gabriel said in a statement. "Drew brings size and athleticism to our frontline, while Gordan is an excellent perimeter shooter."

Added head coach Doc Rivers, "This is a tough business and Mike was one of my favorites. He, however, was the only way we could improve our basketball team. Obviously, anytime you can get size, you need to do it. I'm looking forward to coaching Drew and Gordan."

Guest The Electrifyer

I don't expect any big trades by tomorow afternoon. There's talks about Spreewell or Payton being traded, but I think its doubtful.

Guest Lethargic
Is it just me or is this a steal for the Magic.

No. I don't see why the Grizzlies have been so in love with Mike Miller. He's ok, nothing special. Is a good shooter, not a great one. I don't see him as being much better than Giricek. Seemed like they could've gotten more for Gooden and much more for Gooden AND Giricek. But then again, knowing the Magic's roster movement history, Miller will probably become a superstar in Memphis.

Guest Human Fly
Is it just me or is this a steal for the Magic.

I think it could be. Gooden could be a solid 4 and give the Magic some sort of presence inside, and Giricek has shown some promise this year as well.

Humphrey will always be a role player, and Miller hasn't shown me anything to think that he will be any better then Brent Barry.

Orlando also got a future 1st and 2nd round pick

Guest the pinjockey

Are you serious about the Magic getting picks? Did Gooden shoot Jerry West's children or something?

Guest Human Fly
Are you serious about the Magic getting picks? Did Gooden shoot Jerry West's children or something?

Here's what NBA.com wrote in Mike Miller's player profile:

"Traded by the Magic with Ryan Humphrey to the Memphis Grizzlies for Drew Gooden, Gordan Giricek, a future first-round draft pick and a future second-round draft pick on 2/19/03"

Is anybody else surprised that they didn't trade that whiny bust Stromile Swift instead of Gooden?

Guest the pinjockey

The Grizzlies also received a first-round pick owed to Orlando by Sacramento and a second-round selection in 2004, while sending an undisclosed amount of cash to the Magic.

OK so that is a little better since Memphis is the one getting the picks. Of course I doubt that a Sac. 1st rounder will be worth much. ANd 2nd rounders are worthless.

Guest Human Fly
Scott Layden.....Kill Yourself.

He's at it again. Sportscenter just said that the Knicks offered Sprewell and Othella Harrington to Washington for Stackhouse, Kwame Brown, and Christian Laettner. Washington obviously turned that down.

What is Layden smoking? I'm waiting for his next offer: Shandon Anderson to Boston for Paul Pierce.

Guest LaParkaMarka

Ah, the Grizzlies. I figured after leaving lovely Vancouver they might somehow become a decent team, but I see they still enjoy making garbage trades. Wonder when Memphis will get sick of their incompetence.

Guest Lethargic

This Knicks trade rumor from ESPN Insider is interesting...

The Warriors are trying to make a deal (for Danny Fortson), but no one is excited about the five years remaining on his contract. Their biggest hope is to package him and Adonal Foyle to the 76ers for Derrick Coleman. They hate to lose Foyle, but right now, having the cap space to re-sign Gilbert Arenas this summer is more important.

Wednesday, the Chicago Tribune and the New York Post both hinted that an even larger, multi-team deal is in the works. The specifics of that deal, according to the Post, would send Erick Dampier and Austin Croshere to the Knicks; the Pacers would get Charlie Ward, Brian Skinner and Mark Pope; the Magic would get Fortson and Othella Harrington; the Sixers would get Foyle and Bob Sura; and the Warriors would get Andrew DeClercq, Darrell Armstrong, Travis Knight and Derrick Coleman.

Guest starvenger
Wednesday, the Chicago Tribune and the New York Post both hinted that an even larger, multi-team deal is in the works. The specifics of that deal, according to the Post, would send Erick Dampier and Austin Croshere to the Knicks; the Pacers would get Charlie Ward, Brian Skinner and Mark Pope; the Magic would get Fortson and Othella Harrington; the Sixers would get Foyle and Bob Sura; and the Warriors would get Andrew DeClercq, Darrell Armstrong, Travis Knight and Derrick Coleman.

Oy, my head hurts just thinking about that one...

Guest Crazy Dan

Well the Warriors would get rid of some of their cap space, which might help them keep Arenas (One of the steals of last year's draft) But who will play center now? Man, I love being a Warrior's fan, it really test you. That is why I pull for the Kings, at least they are favorites to win the whole thing.

Guest Choken One

I've gone Blind reading that Multi-trade deal...

What happened to the straight up

I trade my guy for Your guy...type trade?

Now they are all 11 player trades and draft picks and money with 5 different team...and the players themselfs never know where they are going...

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20
Scott Layden.....Kill Yourself.

He's at it again. Sportscenter just said that the Knicks offered Sprewell and Othella Harrington to Washington for Stackhouse, Kwame Brown, and Christian Laettner. Washington obviously turned that down.

What is Layden smoking? I'm waiting for his next offer: Shandon Anderson to Boston for Paul Pierce.

I figure he'd offer Mark Pope & Frank Williams for Shaq & Kobe.

Guest Choken One

I'd that trade in a HEARTBEAT...Pope and Williams FUCKING outdo Shaq and Kobe...

Guest Vern Gagne

Nice trade for the Magic. I'm very high on Gooden and he should got a chance to play with Orlando.

Guest Choken One

Correct me if I am wrong since I NEVER see Memphis highlight ANYWHERE...

Is Gooden #0? Cuz I don't reconizge any of them?

Guest Lethargic
I've gone Blind reading that Multi-trade deal...

What happened to the straight up

I trade my guy for Your guy...type trade?

Now they are all 11 player trades and draft picks and money with 5 different team...and the players themselfs never know where they are going...

You can't make trades like that anymore because of a lot of reasons. The amount of money people are getting paid now, the salary cap, the luxury tax, guaranteed contracts, base-year compensation contracts.

Guest Lethargic

ESPN cleared up the draft picks thing. Grizzlies didn't give up ANY picks, they got Orlando's 2 this year. Afterall, Memphis doesn't have a 1st round pick this year anyway unless it's the #1 pick. That makes the trade a lot better to me. Now the Grizzlies have a chance to add some more pieces through the draft instead of being totally ripped off. After all, Jerry West has made a living out of making great lower first round and second round picks every year. Hell, he's probably better down in the draft than he is up at the top.

Guest alfdogg
This Knicks trade rumor from ESPN Insider is interesting...

The Warriors are trying to make a deal (for Danny Fortson), but no one is excited about the five years remaining on his contract. Their biggest hope is to package him and Adonal Foyle to the 76ers for Derrick Coleman. They hate to lose Foyle, but right now, having the cap space to re-sign Gilbert Arenas this summer is more important.

Coming from a Pacer fan...that's fucking retarded.

Sure, it gets rid of Croshere's ridiculously huge contract, but we already have Tinsley, Strickland and Fred Jones (our first round pick who never plays except for garbage time) that can play the point. Mark Pope will NEVER play, and Skinner will likely only be used for garbage time as well. We get screwed hardcore if we take that deal.

Guest Lethargic
Coming from a Pacer fan...that's fucking retarded.

Sure, it gets rid of Croshere's ridiculously huge contract, but we already have Tinsley, Strickland and Fred Jones (our first round pick who never plays except for garbage time) that can play the point. Mark Pope will NEVER play, and Skinner will likely only be used for garbage time as well. We get screwed hardcore if we take that deal.

Pacers are my team too. I really hate to see Croshere get traded at all for anybody but that contract IS a killer if they wanna keep their free agents. I wish they could just keep him and actually play him. But if there's a deal to get made this is the best one I've seen so far. I sure as hell don't want Kenny Anderson on there and I really don't want to see Tinsley get traded for Payton. Payton would ruin that team's chemistry I think. Charlie Ward would be a nice backup I think. I've always liked him but he shouldn't be a starter. Plus he's a veteran and has some experiance being in the playoffs and in the finals. I'd much rather have him as a backup over Strickland. I'm really perplexed at how down the Pacers have become on Tinsley this year. It seemed last year he was Isiah's boy. This year he's been in trade talks all year.

Guest bravesfan

Denver gets: Shammond Williams

Boston gets: Mark Bryant, Mark(?) Blount.

EDIT: That's it for the trades?!?

Guest starvenger
Denver gets: Shammond Williams

Boston gets: Mark Bryant, Mark(?) Blount.

EDIT: That's it for the trades?!?

You shoulda made that a separate thread: "Bryant traded"... :D