TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fazzle

.hack//Infection

Guest fazzle

Just got the game yesterday, and..damn, it kicks ass. It can get annoying having to level up your party members who aren't as powerful as you, but overall, the game's just a whole lot of fun. I'm not that far into though, so this is all just based on first impressions. Anyone else have the game?

Guest Mad Dog

It was between that and XenoSaga.

I'll probably be getting this in another couple of weeks. I heard that it's extremely short. Like in the 20 hrs. range.

Guest Lightning Flik
Just got the game yesterday, and..damn, it kicks ass.  It can get annoying having to level up your party members who aren't as powerful as you, but overall, the game's just a whole lot of fun.  I'm not that far into though, so this is all just based on first impressions.  Anyone else have the game?

Non-spoiler Pro, Cons, and Uglies I had.

Pros (for what it's worth):

- Vast amounts of character detail (meaning background and characteristics of your party) given to the "players" of "The World" (the game you play in .hack).

- Most characters are well balanced with your main character (mine are about 5 lvls behind though), and for the most part are very worth you while.

- Really does bring the MMORPG feel to this RPG.

- Gameplay, while first, unaccostumed to, I must say really adds a certain depth of strategy.

- The actual story gets downright intriguing as hell when the ball gets rolling. Heck, you don't really get much to know, and really FEEL like you are Kite and really going through all he is, about being clueless. It's not like certain other series where it's just dropped on you like a bombshell. Very well brought out.

- Considering you can actually pick up about 42 members (not including Kite) if I'm not mistaken, they are so far played out very well (I've got seven so far, not including Kite). This is, if I read Book of 1000 Ryu 4 or 5 (which one, I can't remember) correctly.

Cons (meaning things that might detour from getting):

- Although many of the party members were given much to do, a lot of the background people are kinda, eh in terms of speaking. Then again, I'm not expecting Dragon Warrior 7 townspeople, that's insane to ask. (Off to the Side: oh, if you find someone who seems unusual or seems to be in an FMV all by themselves, you just found another party member)

- Graphics in surroundings are really, bleh. Expected more out of it, but then again, when a game is meant to be in 2007, you kinda get that. They are alright, but really detract from the game.

- Until 10 hours into the game, NOTHING is reveled to you. Heck with it, I'm about 30 hours in (on lvl 23) and I still don't know who the bad guy IS. Well, you know whom you are trying to save and whom she's running from but that really doesn't mean the person is the REAL bad dude does it?

- At some points in the game, you'll end up finding that trading with other "users" (even your own party members, which I suggest you do) is better than using your Data Drain to gain items. And at other times, it is the reverse. I really wish it could've been a little more balanced.

Uglies:

- Not being able to use the guy who got you stuck in all this mess: Orca of the Azure Sky and Descendant of Fianna.

- Game time is in the early 20s if you know how to play "The World". If not, you might rack up more time. I'm at 30, and I should be done.

That's about it. If ANYONE needs ANY help at all, I'm willing to give it. Heck, depending on how much I like Xenosaga (which I rented yesterday, and only managed to get in 2 hours of game time), I might get .hack over it. Hard to say right now.

Guest fazzle
- Until 10 hours into the game, NOTHING is reveled to you. Heck with it, I'm about 30 hours in (on lvl 23) and I still don't know who the bad guy IS. Well, you know whom you are trying to save and whom she's running from but that really doesn't mean the person is the REAL bad dude does it?

Well, since the game is supposed to be a 4-parter, with the parts all supposed to come out this year, I've accepted limited plot advancement, as long as there's enough to keep me interested.

Guest Lightning Flik

Well, since the game is supposed to be a 4-parter, with the parts all supposed to come out this year, I've accepted limited plot advancement, as long as there's enough to keep me interested.

There is limited plot advancement. It's just you've gotta wait 10 hours before anything gets revealed to anything close to a semblence.

Guest chirs3

Took me a whopping 14 hours to beat.

Pretty good, and it's got one doozy of a cliffhanger. I'll definitely be picking up the next one.

Guest fazzle

So, umm....if The World has sold 20 million copies, why is that that I always see the same 15-20 people running around town? :)

Guest chirs3

Excellent question.

The biggest flaw this game has is it does almost nothing to mimic a real MMORPG.

-- You get a game over when you die, instead of respawning.

-- You get the same 15 people in every town.

-- You only get 2 towns.

-- You get no wilderness between towns.

-- You get no chance to customize Kite's class or appearance - I have yet to see why he absolutely MUST be a twin blade...

Etceteraaaa.

Guest fazzle

as for the last question..remember, you're not supposed to be playing a character in a MMORPG, you're playing the guy who plays him, and the game doesn't start until after the character is created. I just he just really wanted to be a Twin Blade :)

Another big problem with it not seeming like a MMORPG, all of the NPCs seem more like regular RPG characters than just other people screwing around in a game.

Guest El Psycho Diablo

I'll be picking it (and a PS2) up this week, so I'll deliver my thoughts on it later this week.

I'm hooked on the anime, though..*eyes newsgroups*, so that may bias my review a little.

Guest Mad Dog

I got this yesterday. I decided since I could probably beat this in a few days I decided to play it before Xenosaga.

I'm about 4 hrs. into the game right now. I like the trading but the town really needs an armor shop. It catches the feel of an online RPG fairly well. It's very similar to Phantasy Star Online.

The only bitch so far is how many of the mosters poison.

Guest fazzle

Yeah, at first I didn't like all the poison, but then you realize you don't spend your money on ANYTHING, so you can afford to buy those extra 30 antidotes.

Guest Mad Dog

Well I'm about 6 hours into the game now and just moved to the second server.

How far into the game is that?

Guest The Mighty Damaramu

So is it an online game or is it just an offline game that's supposed to be an online game? I might try it out.......as long as it's not an online game......