TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Batman after "Hush"

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

From Newsarama/Alex Sagura Jr.:

People scoffed. "Jim Lee on a monthly book again? Never gonna happen." But after the first few issues of Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee's run on Batman tore apart the sales charts, people were singing a different tune.

And with momentum going strong, the duo have decided to keep the train running a little bit longer, announcing that their run will continue for six more issues after the initial 12-part "Hush" storyline is completed.

To get some more details on the extension, Newsarama caught up with Loeb and Lee for a quick update on how the creative team is progressing.

According to the writer, Lee had a desire to go beyond the 12-issue story arc early on. "Jim had said from the very beginning that he wanted to do more," Loeb said. "I'm more of a 'yeah, well, when I see it, I'll believe it,' sort of guy. DC was great about it – Dan Didio, in particular – about seeing what we'd need in terms of time and creatively. It was very soon after the first issue came out and sold out."

According to Lee, the idea of taking it past the original framework came a bit later. "I think it was when I had pulled out all the stops to make my deadline of 8 issues before the first one shipped," Lee said. "Even after the grind of making that first milestone, I still felt amazingly fresh and ready for more. In addition, I was very happy with how the story was building up.

"There were little things which Jeph had put into the first 8 issues which were all coming together and I knew we had a good thing going. When you draw issue by issue, sometimes you don't see the big picture until you get well into the run and so it was becoming increasingly apparent to me that this was going to be a lot of fun to wrap up. And after talking to Jeph about his plans for the second arc after ‘Hush’ - well, it was really a no-brainer. Great stuff.

"Right now, I'm just ecstatic that we have a killer lineup on this book from editor Bob Schreck to Jeph to inker supreme Scott Williams to colorist extraordinaire Alex Sinclair to lettering maestro Richard Starkings."

Both creators note that the six issue arc after “Hush” will be another story arc, rather than six stand-alone issues. After that, details are scarce. "My understanding is that it is another fairly stand alone arc with a separate storyline which takes elements set up in ‘Hush’ and develops them in different directions," Lee said. "There are more details but I leave that to Jeph to divulge. Or not."

Loeb took the relatively quiet road. "Very generally, it's another arc, this time 6 issues. All that we'll say right now is that it features Batman and Robin and will focus on a major character in the rogue's gallery. Mostly, the results of the ‘Hush’ storyline will play greatly into this storyline -- although you won't have to have read ‘Hush’ to understand it. Yes, those three of you. And we know who you are."

It is still unclear whether the team will be taking a break between arcs. "That hasn't been decided," Loeb said. "We may plow right on through to #625."

If there's one person shooting for a break, it's inker Scott Williams, Lee said. "The funny thing is that both Jeph and I were looking to go right into the next arc, but Scott came up to me and asked that we take a break," Lee said. "When we started ‘Hush,’ Scott was inking both my work and Whilce Portacio on StormWatch: Team Achilles and he was always under the deadline gun getting Batman inked right under the wire. So, while I am comfortably ahead on the run, Scott is right there on the edge and any professional can vouch for how very tough that place can be. So Scott wanted us to take a break so he could get caught up and take a breather to recharge his batteries because he's been inking 24/7. Every penciller who has worked with a regular inker for a long time knows that they are worth their weight in gold so again, it was not a difficult choice.

"And I know Bob Schreck will be happier not having issues come in right under the wire. There is no definitive decision that I know of – I'm actually in Italy for a convention right now – of how many issues the break it will be, but I don't expect it to be lengthy."

As for future collaborations, both creators say nothing definite is in the works, but a desire to reunite after Batman is done exists. "I know both Jeph and I have separate plans for lots of other projects in the works," Lee said. "Those commitments make working on any other projects in the very near future unlikely. That being said, I would love to work with him again in the future, and we certainly have talked about characters we have mutual affection for. It's all in the timing really. Jeph is one of the busiest writers in comics I know and I'm just happy we are doing another six issues of the Bat."

"Every day Jim has some new character he has a jones for," Loeb said. "I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Jim's on board, I'll be there. It's been a great partnership -- not just with Jim, but the entire team with Scott, Alex and Richard. Put us in a box, wrap it, and we're ready to go."

Guest Respect The 'Taker

Sounds WICKED...

I'd make a better Batman than Zsasz!!!

*runs from folder never to return*

Guest raptor

No one with Post-"Bad" MJ in their sig can be a good Batman. Sorry, but it's true.

I just tracked down Batman #612, and I have to say I was a little dissapointed, but only because of all the hype and sell out. Still an awesome issue, and I'm incredibly excited about more Loeb/Lee.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Here's a topic for discussion:

Who is the mystery man? Is it Tommy Elliot? Is it an existing member of the Rogue's Gallery? Is it a new villain?

I'm betting it's Hugo Strange.

Guest areacode212

It seemed like they were trying to hint at Jason Todd a few issues back. There was a scene where he was standing on a roof next to a huge "Robinson" (I think) sign, and the panel was framed in such a way that only the "Robin" part was visible. Still, it makes no sense, and I think it was a red herring.

Tommy Elliot being Hush would be completely anvilicious, which leads me to believe it isn't him either.

I'm not really loving the storyline so far. Why is Batman acting like a 13-year-old with regard to "the kiss"? It's not like they've never kissed before, and it seems so un-Batmanlike for him to keep thinking about it. But I'll withhold judgement until the full year is up.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
It seemed like they were trying to hint at Jason Todd a few issues back. There was a scene where he was standing on a roof next to a huge "Robinson"  (I think) sign, and the panel was framed in such a way that only the "Robin" part was visible. Still, it makes no sense, and I think it was a red herring.

Tommy Elliot being Hush would be completely anvilicious, which leads me to believe it isn't him either.

I'm not really loving the storyline so far. Why is Batman acting like a 13-year-old with regard to "the kiss"? It's not like they've never kissed before, and it seems so un-Batmanlike for him to keep thinking about it. But I'll withhold judgement until the full year is up.

1. Yes, I did notice that, but I'm done with suspecting Jason Todd as some mystery man. Everyone was saying Jason Todd killed Vesper last year, and I didn't buy it then. Denny O'Neil has always said that he will NEVER be brought back, and I have to trust that DC will respect his wishes.

So far, Hugo Strange fits the profile: He knows Wayne's duel identity, he's as smart/smarter than Wayne, he's the kind of sick bastard who would play with Wayne a long time before revealing his plan, and his character has been in limbo for a LONG time.

2. maybe it's because he has deep feelings for her, and he's finally able to express them. maybe it's bad writing. Maybe, for the first time, he can have a relationship and still keep his current statis as Gotham's protector.

Guest T®ITEC
2. maybe it's because he has deep feelings for her, and he's finally able to express them. maybe it's bad writing. Maybe, for the first time, he can have a relationship and still keep his current statis as Gotham's protector.

I don't think it'll ever happen. He'll probably get sloppy and break his leg or something. Well, not really, but still.. To me, it was logical somehow.

Guest areacode212

I don't want Jason to come back, either. Anything they come up with to explain how he returned from the dead would be beyond lame. Plus, his death has come to be a part of Batman's character, adding to his guilt and his wariness of sending kids out to fight crime.

At the risk of bringing this into "'shipper" territory, if they were to give Batman a love interest, I'd prefer it if someone like Silver St. Cloud returned to the Bat-mythos, especially if Hugo Strange turned up. I always thought she was a fun girlfriend for Bruce, and since Loeb is bringing in the entire rogues' gallery (or so it seems), he might as well bring Silver back.

Also, whatever happened with that Batman/Wonder Woman thing from JLA that people were talking about? That would be interesting to see, since we haven't seen it before, and the dynamic between those two characters could use some fleshing out.

As for Catwoman, I think the relationship in her solo title is good enough for now. They're friends in their civilian identities, and he helps fund her little projects. I suppose I could deal with it if Bruce reached out to Selina, since she's gone through hell in the latest story arc (her community center blown up, her sister a basket case after seeing her husband get tortured to death and being forced to eat his eyeball, Holly depressed over killing Sylvia). But barring the occassional encounter, Batman & Catwoman should steer clear of each other. No more hanging out in Metropolis to take down Ivy, or rooftop kissing scenes. She has her own Scooby gang now.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Well, Hush has to be somebody who...

1. Can keep up with Batman and Catwoman in the air, or at least knows enough about them to cut the Bat-Line.

2. Be smart enough to set up Croc, Ivy, and Catwoman.

3. Know Batman's true identity.

4. Know Superman's weakness

5. Talented enough to hit the Batmobile at 200 MPH

6. Be injured in some way as to make facial bandages necessary.

7. Hate Batman enough to devote this much time and effort to killing him.

8. Be crazy enough to not just kill him after he cut the Bat-Line.

9. Know a lot of quotations.

Who could it be?

Guest HellSpawn

2 topics...

The Catwoman issue. You guys are right.

Whats up with that , I dunno..."Teenage angst" attitude ?

Oh my, why I did that? Oh I kissed her! I dont know how I suppose (sp? sorry) to react to this new feelings for her?

What the F'n Hell ? Is this a Dawson's Creek episode? No , wait, even Joey isnt that naive anymore, I mean, umm, not that Im watching Dawson, its just... oh well, you know what I mean.

Bats never act that way in Loeb's previous tales, and Bats was in a semi relationship with Selina.

Now 'bout who is the masked guy...

I got it, The Grifter... Long coat (check), Hidden face (check), sharpshooting skill (check). The villain is a revamped Grifter. J/K

Here we go again with the old trick...

Tommy Elliot.

Everything could be pointing at him, but is that a trick or he actually is the heel? or Loeb want us to think that Elliot is the villian and then we got someone new (or an old revamped).

Wizard pointed Two Face and 2nd place for Elliot. Of course last time Loeb wrote Bats (Dark Victory), Wizard pointed Mario as #1.

Strange was used in a story on Gotham Knights, in its early issues.

I didnt saw the Jason thing, maybe because Im not takin my 100% on this story. But, I do hope DC dont ever think about that... last time someone did that, we got a Still Alive and Kicking Norman Osborn.

My guess...

A new guy, not Elliot.

Guest Crucifixio Jones

I thought that Lee had already said that it was a new villian.

So far I'm disappointed in the whole storyline...what little of it exists. So far I've just seen a bunch of stand alone issues that hardly tie together, that exist soley to trot every Bats rogue (I mean, come on! Next Issue: HARLEY QUINN! Who cares? How does she even tie in to what's been going down so far?) to give Lee something pretty to draw and sell tons of comics because Loeb & Lee's names are attached. I'm especially disappointed in Loeb; he usually writes so much better than this. If I read it, I'd swear Lee wrote it alone.

I think my opinion will remain the same when in a YEAR this crap is over. And that's coming from a HUGE Batman fan.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Well, I don't know about the "new guy" thing, Jones but I had a talk with a very good friend (of this entire folder) and he said that as of right now it will be someone who's been inactive for a while. He gave me the name, and I promised to keep my mouth shut, so if you REALLY want to know what this good friend told me, PM me.

That offer stands to everyone else.

Guest HellSpawn

Thanx MrZsasz.

But, I guess we already have a (IMO) barely good story, nothing spectacular.

And getting the spoiler will definetly turn Batman into a boring monthly "business as usual" book.

Thanx.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

I'm a bit dissapointed with #613...

For the first time, clues to the possible identity of Hush, are analyzed, albeit briefly, by Batman. We have a great bit of characterization on the Waynes. We have a moment that teases Elliot as Hush. But the issue itself doesn't seem as epic or cool as the last few have been. The ending redeems it a bit, but I must say: There's no way in hell Elliot is dead. To kill him off, just when he's becoming a good supporting character, would be retarded.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Can you guys bring me up to speed on what has been happening here?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Can you guys bring me up to speed on what has been happening here?

Of course.

Part One: "The Hostage"

Batman thwarts a kidnapping attempt by Killer Croc. He saves the hostage; a young heir, but Selina Kyle steals the ransom in the fighting. Batman chases her across the rooftops, but his Bat-Rope is cut by a mystery man, (Who is known as "Hush" from now on) and he falls in Crime Alley: The site of his parents murder. At issue's end, we learn that Catwoman was in reality working for Poison Ivy, who can now control women too.

Part Two: "The Friend"

Batman's safety countermeasures manage to protect him from the homeless hoods who try to attack him until help comes. In this case, from Batman's estranged daughter: The Huntress. Huntress saves Batman and the Batmobile delievers him to the cave.

Meanwhile, Ivy delievers the ransom money to Hush, who seems to appear and disappear at will.

Back at the Batcave, Alfred discovers Bruce has a fracutured skull, and Bruce uses morese code to tell him to call his childhood best-friend: Tommy Elliot. Elliot is a Philadelphia neuro-surgeon, and he patches Bruce up.

In the climatctic scene, Hush tears up a picture of Wayne, signaling that he knows Wayne's identity.

Part Three: "The Beast"

Batman visits Croc's cell in Arkham to discover who helped him plan the complex kidnapping. Batman intentionally allows him to escape so he can force him to talk before the DEO haul him to Belle Reve.

Meanwhile, Tommy Elliot visits Wayne Manor and warns Alfred that Bruce is overexerting himself by being out such long hours. This triggers a flashback in Alfred to when Elliot's parents were involved in a car crash. Thomas Wayne is the surgeon, and Bruce promises Tommy that his parents will be fine. Tommy's mother survives, but his father dies; causing Elliot to strike Wayne.

Meanwhile, Batman is tracking Croc via a homing beacon, but Hush shoots one of the Batmobile's tires, tying up Batman till he can get to Croc's position on foot.

Meanwhile, in a greenhouse in Downtown Gotham, Croc meets Catwoman. Catwoman and Croc were both told to meet Ivy there, and it appears she set catwoman up to die. Batman manages to save Catwoman, and subdue Croc. Croc is about to tell Batman the ransom money's purpose, when DEO helicopters swoop in capture him. Hush is revealed watching, and is nearly spotted by Batman, but when batman turns he sees nothing but shadow.

In the final scene, Batman and Catwoman share a kiss and Batman does some pondering about life and the universe.

Part Four: "The City"

Bruce Wayne flies into Metropolis to bring in Ivy, once and for all. He finds himselfdistracted by memories of the kiss he shared with catwoman, and the trip he took to Metropolis as a boy with Tommy Elliot where they saw Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern in action. Oddly enough, Tommy Eliot meets him at the airport, and they share a ride downtown. While in the car Tommy shows concern for Bruce's behavior, objecting to his lack of recuperation time. Bruce however, can't get his mind off Catwoman, and remembers the homing beacon he gave her. They come to the Daily Planet, and Tommy schedules an appointment with Bruce.

Meanwhile, in the Daily Planet, things are wacky with Lois and Clark. Bruces contacts Oracle on Lois' PC to finally establish the link that brought him here: Ivy was growing a rare flower called Aztec Gilia. The flower requires a compound called ethelyne and LexCorp makes a variation that is designed to withstand temperature changes, perfect for travel. Bruce goes off to talk to Perry, while Lois and Clark talk about how "dark" Bruce can get as Batman.

Later that night, Bruce meets up with Talia: Ra's Al Ghul's daughter and Batman's former lover. Talia promises to find information on the compound, as the beacon Batman gave to Catwoman goes off.

He meets Catwoman on an L train (literally!) and she tells him that she gets first crack at Ivy.

Catwoman and Ivy fight, Ivy's plants try to kill Catwoman, Batman saves her ass. At issue's end, we learn that Superman is under Ivy's control and it looks like the MEGA POWERS WILL EXPLODE next issue!

Part Five: "The Battle"

Ivy uses lipstick laced with Kryptonite to control Superman, but Batman knows she doesn't have full control. He evades the Heat Vision because he knew that would be Clark's first move. Batman and Catwoman swim underground and break into the lead-lined sewer system. (Constructed by LexCorp for maximum anti-Superman efficiency) batman pulls out the Kryptonite and tells Catwoman to go after "the girl." They kiss and she exits stage right, as he places charges in the tunnel.

The fight begins, Superman is holding back, because deep-down he doesn't want to kill batman. Batman wails on him with the Kryptonite ring. He hits him with hypersonics, and tells him if he lets loose with the heat vision it'll erupt a gas main right under the Daily Planet. Superman comes back and freezes the Kryptonite. Batman informs Superman that the gas main bit was a lie, and he tricks Superman into punching the power circuts for the city. Superman is finally sick of it and decides he's not holding back, but Catwoman shows up with Lois, and Superman breaks Ivy's control to save her. The heroes track down Ivy and capture her, with the help of KRYPTO THE MOTHERFUCKING SUPER-DOG. Krypto rules.

Part Six: "The Opera"

With the immeadiate threats out of the way, Batman begins to concentrate on Hush's identity, and his penchant for teaching Batman's enemies new tricks. He, Selina, Tommy, and Leslie Thompkins attend an opera, which turns into a bloodbath when Harley Quinn robs the place. Quinn steals a family heirloom from Elliot, and while Catwoman and batman try to stop Quinn's thugs, he chases after her. She roughs him up a bit, but he continues the chase out the back door.

Meanwhile, Batman finishes up everything out front, and makes his way out back. He's just in time to hear a gunshot...and to see The Joker standing over the apparantly dead body of Tommy Elliot.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Thanks alot for the summary. I like Batman as much as the next guy, but I honestly have trouble seeing Batman and Superman fistfighting. Can't Superman move fast as hell? Doesn't he have super strength? How can Batman engage in a fist fight with Superman?

Guest Mattdotcom

Superman did give Batman a Kryptonite ring in case anything like that ever happened, and Batman used it. Ring being the keyword, as Batman basically punched Superman with Kryptonite.

Batman's estranged daughter: The Huntress.

I thought that wasn't in continuity, unless you're going by Birds of Prey: The TV Series...

Guest Crucifixio Jones

The last episode summary by Zsasz about sums up the whole thing...

Out of the blue Harley Quinn arrives and at the end we get a shot of The Joker. This is the classic "all-flash, no substance" shit we got from the early days of Image. People just popping up out of nowhere, no rhyme or reason, just to give the artist a chance to get busy and draw his rendition of a certain character.

I would've much preferred an actual story from Jeph Loeb rather than a lame excuse to trot out all of Batman's rogues for Lee to draw pinups. I mean honestly....is this what the fan reaction was supposed to be:

Part I: OMG it's Killer Croc...looking all like a Daemonite from WildC.A.T.S. ! That is so different and cool looking! Jim Lee is the bestest, his Croc looks good..he is cutting edge and trendy! And OMG Poison Ivy and Catwoman! B00bi3z!

Part II: Huntress! m0r3 bi6 b00bi3z!

Part III: Bats and Cats kiss. DRAWMUH~!

Part IV: Girlfight, TALIA~! and Superman and Bats get it on cuz they don't get along....NEXT ISH STAY TUNED~!

Part V: Supes and Bats r0xx0r my b0xx0rz and KRYPTO shows up! Leob iz Genius! Harley Quinn...NEXT ISH STAY TUNED~! Same Bat-time, Same Bat-channel!

Part VI: OMG Joker...me am gonna have heart attack!

Gimme a break.

You know before all this over there's a better than good chance we'll see people like The Riddler and Scarecrow. Why? Cuz it's a good story? No, cuz it's predictable as fuck and since they've dragged everyone else out, I'm sure they're on their way. The only reason anyone even gives a damn about this book is because it's Batman, Lee and Loeb are working on it and the only thing halfway interesting in the story is the whole "Who is Hush?" mystery, but since they haven't given me any reason to give a damn, surprise, I DON'T. I think I'll be less than enthused when I finally DO find out.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Jones, we tend to agree on a lot of things (besides rap) but I'm gonna have to disagree with you here.

This storyline is about someone hunting Batman. He's manipulating the villains into doing crimes they wouldn't normally so as to throw Batman off his game. He's studied Batman and Batman's methods. The use of Harley Quinn isn't just appropriate; it's logical in the context of the story.

Now, teasing Tommy Elliot's death when we all know he isn't really dead- THAT'S illogical.