TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest AndrewTS

Xenosaga: don't buy it.

Guest AndrewTS

I know this isn't the videogame folder, but this is relevant.

If you've seen any WWE program lately, you'll see plugs and commercials for Xenosaga--the sequel to Square's Xenogears. Both of them suck.

Actually, that's being too nice.

In addition to being bad and brain-rotting--review here: http://www.toastyfrog.com/2d/games/xenosaga.shtml

...It also throws in Nietzche's philosophical ideas for the hell of it. The guy whose ideas formed the basis for Nazism, you know?

Of course, that's not so bad if it is handled intelligently, but it isn't.

We also have pedophilia, voyeurism, and other depravity running rampant: http://www.caltrops.com/review0012.html

I just found it oddly appropriate that WWE endorses this sick crap, and vice-versa. Although at least the Miller catfight girls are of legal age.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Xenosaga is awesome.

EDIT: Also Xenogears is one of the best RPGs ever made.

Guest wwF1587

first off... Xenosaga does rule all

next.. this should go to the games folder

no offense

Guest AndrewTS

I pity you fools. :P

Although if there is justice this game will rule--the bargain bin.

Guest Pop Culture God

All RPG's that do not involve Mario SUCK.

If a James Bond RPG were made, perhpas I would reconsider that viewpoint.

Guest Lightning Flik

Yes, Andy. Everything you mentioned is in the game. Yet, the game still is wonderful.

Unlike the state of the WWE right now.

Edited by Lightning Flik

Guest AndrewTS
Yes, Andy. Everything you mentioned is in the game. Yet, the game still is wonderful.

I heard what little game there is is actually pretty good.

Pardon me if I like to play my games.

If by "best" you mean "irritating, fucking boring, and crammed with religious symbolism in a vain pretentious attempt to be 'edgy' then yet, it is one of the "best."

If not, you have low standards.

Guest Lightning Flik

I heard what little game is is actually pretty good.

Pardon me if I like to play my games.

lol actually i was meaning just that. yet i must admit that there is a sufficiant lack of "play". Not that I minded, between the long FMV scenes.

But I'd rather suggest you rent Dragon Quarter if you are so adamant against Xenosaga.

Guest Lightning Flik

If by "best" you mean "irritating, fucking boring, and crammed with religious symbolism in a vain pretentious attempt to be 'edgy' then yet, it is one of the "best."

Actually, considering that Xenogears was cut and hacked to bits (it was supposed to be longer, and have more to do, but due to time constrants lots of shit got dumped from disk 2), I'm still waiting for the true Xenogears.

Guest AndrewTS

Never heard of it. Although action RPGs like Zelda are fine with me--although the text speed is too slow in OOT.

I seem to detect a theme of people throwing around adjectives with no basis for the game deserving them.

And did anyone bother to read the reviews? Or they just afraid?

Guest Lightning Flik
Never heard of it. Although action RPGs like Zelda are fine with me--although the text speed is too slow in OOT.

I seem to detect a theme of people throwing around adjectives with no basis for the game deserving them.

And did anyone bother to read the reviews? Or they just afraid?

You've never heard of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter? Weird. Still, a good RPG with some difficult (meat) attached to it.

Andy, I played Xenosaga. Xenosaga is a good game. Sure it's got it's grief (I can't say without spoiling, and I ain't going to do that), but meh. I can live with that. I ain't letting some grief bring down a game's promises. Which this game supports very well.

Guest AndrewTS

Actually, considering that Xenogears was cut and hacked to bits (it was supposed to be longer, and have more to do, but due to time constrants lots of shit got dumped from disk 2), I'm still waiting for the true Xenogears.

"Time constraints?" Didn't they have about an extra year to get it the way they wanted?

And considering how much Disk 1 sucked, it wouldn't have made much difference.

Guest AndrewTS
You've never heard of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter? Weird. Still, a good RPG with some difficult (meat) attached to it.

I've heard of the BoF series, but since Gamefan went under I haven't been as much in the loop about the stuff.

Guest Lightning Flik
"Time constraints?" Didn't they have about an extra year to get it the way they wanted?

And considering how much Disk 1 sucked, it wouldn't have made much difference.

No. The concept of Xenogears Perfect Works (the "bible" of Xenosaga/gears) had been created a year prior. The extra year was for Monolift's crew to pick an Episode and work with it.

And I'm talking about the whole game. Most of the stuff was on Disk 2, but a lot of everything got hacked and slashed.

Guest chirs3

I'm only about four hours in to Xenogears, but so far, I'm leaning towards Andrew's opinion. This game is so goddamned slow. Absolutely nothing has made me continue playing past the next save point, just five more minutes, just one more fight, just one more cutscene. NOTHING. I can barely move myself to play this over, say, Frequency, a game that I have beaten and mastered and would own you all at.

I hope I didn't waste my $35...

Guest Lightning Flik

I've heard of the BoF series, but since Gamefan went under I haven't been as much in the loop about the stuff.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/22623.asp

Should be a place to find reviews from different sites on the game. Dragon Quarter is, as I have to say, the best incarnation of BoF.

BTW, ignore Gamer Web. They just have a high expectations for any RPG lately.

Guest Lightning Flik
I'm only about four hours in to Xenogears, but so far, I'm leaning towards Andrew's opinion. This game is so goddamned slow. Absolutely nothing has made me continue playing past the next save point, just five more minutes, just one more fight, just one more cutscene. NOTHING. I can barely move myself to play this over, say, Frequency, a game that I have beaten and mastered and would own you all at.

Meh. I liked 'gears. Sure, the religious stuff is a little over the top, but the whole society is built on that foundation. Lots to intake, but that's what's needed to enjoy the game.

I'm not picky when it comes to RPGs. Yet, this one doesn't even come close to my Top 5.

Guest chirs3

Hey, I'm not complaining about the religious stuff, mainly because I haven't found it yet. I'm four hours in and the story has gone just about NOWHERE, that's my problem. Fei levels his town by accident, goes to the desert, AAAAAAAND?

Still waiting to clear this up. I've spent so much time here, and not one interesting thing has happened (Bal just opened the big underground door thing in the cave, in case you're wondering).

Maybe the story is the greatest thing ever, but when the hell does this game start telling it to me?

Guest Lightning Flik
Hey, I'm not complaining about the religious stuff, mainly because I haven't found it yet. I'm four hours in and the story has gone just about NOWHERE, that's my problem. Fei levels his town by accident, goes to the desert, AAAAAAAND?

Still waiting to clear this up. I've spent so much time here, and not one interesting thing has happened (Bal just opened the big underground door thing in the cave, in case you're wondering).

Maybe the story is the greatest thing ever, but when the hell does this game start telling it to me?

It'll get somewhere later with the MAIN plot.

You'll be getting yourself into a sub plot here soon.

Guest AndrewTS

Yes, I played a bit of Disk 2 thanks to a Dexdrive save. Not because I can't get through Disk 1, but because it is sheer fucking torture to try to do so.

And the religious symbolism/stupidity comes to a climax with one of the most asinine thing in any game ever:

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

The pink puffball being crucified.

Now, I am a Christian, but I don't mind my religion being poked fun at. Hell, I have Dogma on DVD. It just seemed stuff like that was put there for the hell of it, and you got to play a bit of game before enduring the lengthy cinema sequences. Too bad, because I loved the battle system, particularly the chain combinations you could do.

The the "story" surrounding the game was too much of an endurance test of my patience. If you can get through it, you can liken yourself to Job. However, the game's existence itself--as Parish put it, makes a pretty good case for there being no God. :P

Luckily, I was able to sell it for a 5 dollar profit, after selling the game online.

35 is what I sold it for, so you might be able to sell yours and only lose out on approximately a rental cost after commission.

Guest chirs3

Unfortunately, if and when I do sell it, it'll be at a huge loss. I could only find pre-owned copies, no new ones, so I ordered pre-owned from Gamestop and there's no goddamned case or manual. The disks came in a freaking ziplock bag.

Not many people wanna buy a third-hand game in a ziplock bag.

Sigh.

Guest Lightning Flik
Yes, I played a bit of Disk 2 thanks to a Dexdrive save. Not because I can't get through Disk 1, but because it is sheer fucking torture to try to do so.

And the religious symbolism/stupidity comes to a climax with one of the most asinine thing in any game ever:

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

The pink puffball being crucified.

Now, I am a Christian, but I don't mind my religion being poked fun at. Hell, I have Dogma on DVD. It just seemed stuff like that was put there for the hell of it, and you got to play a bit of game before enduring the lengthy cinema sequences. Too bad, because I loved the battle system, particularly the chain combinations you could do.

Disk 1 was a pain? Disk 2 is a heart cancer. Heck, even though I like 'gears, I hated going through Disk 2.

That spoiler part was probably the biggest ugly of the game. Actually the thing you mention (not what happens to it, but the thing) was probably the worst of the entire game.

...well considering the game isn't even a third of what it was supposed to be, I conceed that point you make Andy.

Guest Lightning Flik
Unfortunately, if and when I do sell it, it'll be at a huge loss. I could only find pre-owned copies, no new ones, so I ordered pre-owned from Gamestop and there's no goddamned case or manual. The disks came in a freaking ziplock bag.

Sigh.

Sorry dude. You ain't getting rid of it then. Not like that at least.

Guest AndrewTS

Sigh.

I buy and sell used games all the time: either for personal enjoyment and/or profit. So I keep a constant supply of new jewel cases to replace busted up old ones so I can charge a little bit more when I sell stuff.

So, I suggest buying a double-CD jewel case, and selling it online if you are dissatified with the game. However, take a look at what they are selling online:

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid...=1794&meta_id=4

You can try to sell it at half.com (fixed price) or a site like ebay (auction). However, it looks like even with just the CDs, you should be able to break even or pretty close. Depending on what condition the discs are in...if they are pretty good condition you might be in luck.

Guest AndrewTS
That spoiler part was probably the biggest ugly of the game. Actually the thing you mention (not what happens to it, but the thing) was probably the worst of the entire game.

Well, I think either one is pretty bad.

I would have mentioned the game including child-molesting priests if the effect wasn't lessened so much by comedy shows beating it like a dead horse for their bad jokes.

Plus, the game didn't graphically depict any such acts like Xenosaga does.

Guest creativename

LMAO...that's quite the absurd statement there. Xenogears is one of the few games (along with FF VI, VII, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest III and maybe a handful of others--though VII has more outspoken detractors than the others) that is universally heralded by hardcore RPG gamers and tough gaming critics as one of the greatest RPGs ever made for any system.

While I myself have never played it (though I'll get around to it eventually), and thus I have no clue as to whether I'd find it boring or not, you can't say that the opinion of the vast majority of hardcare gamers on the planet is somehow wrong or constitutues "low standards". That's just bullshit. Hate the game all you want, but you sound a little silly belittling the opinion of virtually everybody else that's ever played the damn game. It is, relatively speaking, quite rare to find negative opinions on Xenogears.

Guest AndrewTS

Sigh.

Sorry dude. You ain't getting rid of it then. Not like that at least.

If they're in good condition and in some sort of jewel case, then he could get rid of 'em. It may be tripe, but it is tripe in high demand.

And with Xenosaga getting so much exposure it might be worth more.

Hell, if I could get a Suikoden II for less than 40 I wouldn't mind if it lacked a case or manual.

Guest Lightning Flik

Well, I think either one is pretty bad.

I would have mentioned the game including child-molesting priests if the effect wasn't lessened so much by comedy shows beating it like a dead horse for their bad jokes.

Plus, the game didn't graphically depict any such acts like Xenosaga does.

Yay... That thing was evil. Pure evil. Just full of evil.

'saga was really kinda blatant about the whole thingy. I'm guessing it wasn't really meant to be as such in 'saga. Yet, still considering... *shrugs*

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Chris, just keep going. The beginning is slow, but it will start to pick up. Once you're out of that underground cave, you're in like Flint. Then, by the time you hit 15 or 20 hours things really start to click, and you understand what you've been doing.

It's probably my favorite RPG of all time, and you know how much I love the other games you love. Xenogears is mind-blowingly great.