TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JC Marxxx

Can someone tell me...

Guest JC Marxxx

Anyone have info on the Dark Knight Strikes Back books?

I bought the first one and thought it was at least interesting to say the least, but due to my lack of funds (also known as not wanting to shell out the $8 an issue) I haven't checked out the next issue.

Anyone read it? Can someone give me some insight whether it's worth the bucks?

Thanks

- JC

Guest starvenger

I've heard that it wasn't, but then imo it's pretty hard to top the original.

Haven't bought that, or Origin (budget issues, same as you), but I'll probably pick up the TPBs when they come out.

Speaking of TPBs, is the Crisis softcover worth it?  It's fricking $50CDN before PST & GST, so I wanna be #### sure that it's worth the read before I get further in debt with Visa... ???

Guest pochorenella

Starvenger, I believe there's a Softcover TPB for Crisis, I bought one for a cousin of mine and it was $25 at the most. I didn't like it much, but then I'm not a big DC fan, I hate Superman, for example, but there were some interesting things. A bit confusing at times, so it really depends on your taste.

Peace.

Guest Judas14
Anyone have info on the Dark Knight Strikes Back books?

I bought the first one and thought it was at least interesting to say the least, but due to my lack of funds (also known as not wanting to shell out the $8 an issue) I haven't checked out the next issue.

Anyone read it? Can someone give me some insight whether it's worth the bucks?

Thanks

- JC

They are bad. Very bad and not worth the $8 a book DC is charging for them......

Wait for the trade paperback if you really want to read it....

Guest JC Marxxx

Thanks, I guess I'll just wait as it is, especially with some other negative feedback I've been hearing about it as well.

Alas, I guess I was just so into the original that I hoped the sequel would have the same.

Starvenger,

I had looked for the Origin books but couldn't find any near the comic shops in my area, must be a big seller.

- JC

Guest areacode212

The Crisis softcover is $50 Canadian? That's insane. It's a really good story, possibly the best company-wide crossover I've read, and it's worth having, but only at a lower price than freaking $50.

Check eBay. The original set is going for $12.58 right now, and the TPB is $10. Don't pay full price for that.

By the way, there's a thread about Crisis over at the WDI Comic Book board with a bit of extra info from Sassquatch and me if you're interested.

Guest areacode212
Thanks, I guess I'll just wait as it is, especially with some other negative feedback I've been hearing about it as well.

Alas, I guess I was just so into the original that I hoped the sequel would have the same.

Starvenger,

I had looked for the Origin books but couldn't find any near the comic shops in my area, must be a big seller.

- JC

For whatever reason, I really wasn't as taken with the original Dark Knight as most people, so I'm not disappointed with the new series. It's basically a fun "hey, look at what the rest of the DC Universe looks like following The Dark Knight Returns" kind of romp, and I'm entertained by it, so I don't have a huge problem with it, though the $8/issue kinda sucks.

As for Origin, yeah, it's a big seller. When issue #1 came out, my comic shop had a 3 copy per customer limit, and it was going for big bucks on eBay. I even bought some extra issues to unload there, but I was too lazy to get around to it. Looks like issue #3 is still pretty hot ($51.69 as of now)

I say wait for the TPB.

Guest Ozymandias

I'm in the minority in thinking Part 1 kicked all kinds of ass, and rules everyone on this forum.

Part 2 sucked so hard that it left a mark.

Wait for TPB.

Guest converge241

I was severly disapointed with DK2, especially for 8 bucks.

I tried the first issue of Origin and hated that as well.

Crisis is worth it at retail price from Ebay or someone else on line. I bought the Hardcover (but then again I have a 40% discount so it was only 60 bucks). Favorite story ever.

Guest areacode212

I remember seriously considering picking up that $100 hardcover for the recoloring job alone, but it was just a bit TOO steep for something that I already owned (the original issues).

Origin seems like a nice enough series (it helps that I love Jenkins' other work and am a sucker for anything Kubert) but it's really not adding much to the Wolverine character. At least from what I hear. I haven't been able to get the dotcomics player to work on my computer and don't want to shell out the money to read half of a series (missed 2 and 3, saw 4 awhile back). I might pick up the trade, but it will have to be in soft cover format, as I don't want to shell out 35 bucks for a series that delves into "Wolverine's past before he was Wolverine."

Spoiler space...

As for Crisis, I got it for 40 cents through the Sci-Fi Book Club and have been enjoying it, but not as much as I thought I would. Perhaps because I've heard so much about it and none of the deaths have caught me by surprise. Although Supergirl's sacrifice was moving, it was spoiled for me about a decade ago. Even though I love Barry Allen, I have a feeling that his death will have a similar impact, since I knew about it before I even discovered the character. Then again, maybe it's just where my head's at right now.

Guest Judas14
I remember seriously considering picking up that $100 hardcover for the recoloring job alone, but it was just a bit TOO steep for something that I already owned (the original issues).

If you are buying it for the recoloring job, I suggest you should save your money and  keep the single issues instead. They ruined the art with the recoloring, which removed the dark grittiness that the original George Perez artwork had....

Weighing in on DKSA for a minute. I liked issue one just fine, but I just haven't had the desire to see what happened in issue 2 enough to shell out the money for it when I had two seperate chances, oddly enough. Of course, the Long Halloween had something to do with that the last time.

I may just wait for the trade, but the shop in my area that I visit quarterly does seem to have an abnormally large stock of #2 laying about, so I'll probably still be able to pick it up when #3 finally straggles in. The point is, I don't think it's horrible, but I would reccomend waiting on the trade as well. Although, with the originals coming out to around nine dollars a pop, how much do you think they'll charge for a collection?

Guest areacode212
As for Crisis, I got it for 40 cents through the Sci-Fi Book Club and have been enjoying it, but not as much as I thought I would. Perhaps because I've heard so much about it and none of the deaths have caught me by surprise. Although Supergirl's sacrifice was moving, it was spoiled for me about a decade ago. Even though I love Barry Allen, I have a feeling that his death will have a similar impact, since I knew about it before I even discovered the character. Then again, maybe it's just where my head's at right now.

Crisis is kind of a "you had to be there" series. Though it's still an extremely good read, you can't really appreciate it as much if you're reading it now for the first time, 16 years into the "new" DC Universe. It was unbelievable at the time, when everything you knew about the DCU was being destroyed left and right, starting with the Crime Syndicate (I had a big crush on Superwoman when I was 6), to Supergirl, to Flash, to Earths 1 & 2, etc. The Supergirl & Flash issues were pretty traumatic to read as a 10-year-old. So was issue #11, especially when Huntress told her little story.

But now that a lot of time has passed, and relaunched versions of these characters have debuted, seeing all that carnage isn't as effective.

BTW, have you caught Peter Parker's mini cameo yet?

Makes sense, Area Code. Seems to explain why it didn't shake me as much as I expected it would. Supergirl's death was moving (especially considering it illustrated her courage and love for Kal) but it just didn't reverberate with me like I thought it would. I guess being so many years late doesn't help.

I haven't caught Pete's appearance yet, by the way, but I will look for it now. Thanks for the head's up.

Guest areacode212

Speaking of Supergirl, anyone know if "Kara" from the Superman vs. Aliens crossover (which read like it was in continuity) ever reappeared, or were there just too many existing variations of the character already (Power Girl, the new Supergirl)? I liked that character (and that miniseries) a lot, and would've preferred to read about her, rather than the existing Supergirl.

And as a footnote to this whole discussion, in case anyone was interested, Kara Zor-El *has* made one final appearance in the post-Crisis DCU in a nice little story in Christmas with the Super-Heroes (1989). Since I happen to know for a fact that my recently-bagged copy is at the bottom of a pile, I searched the web for a recap of the appearance, and here it is.