TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Undertaker's wrestlemania streak

I've been thinking about Undertaker's WM 10-0 streak. In another thread I saw people stating that it would be a good idea to let a young future star like Brock Lesnar kill (well...) him at WM19. It certainly would be good for whoever gets that rub.

On the other, for Taker, what's in it for him? Credit from us smarks? Well, he would probably compare that with having a clean and probably unbeatable WM record. Respect from his peers? I'm under the impression that he already enjoys that respect.

I'm just guessing here, but perhaps this streak is the reward for not making cases and causing trouble about not getting any credible championship runs.

The Undertaker is unique and I kinda like the idea of him going out one day with a clean WM record. Especially since he never got that run on top. He could give the "he destroyed the Undertaker" rub without jobbing at WM. I would prefer that.

Guest converge241

I dont like Undertaker but I think the record is a good thing.

I expanded on it a little in theWMX8 thread but the gist of it:

its something special, like a real sports record to add some lustre to the character and wrestling in general.

Flair's my all time favorite but i didnt want to see it end against him. A lot of people might agree on the idea that the defeat should go to someone who "needs" it (not like an austin or Rock or whatever). It should either be really hyped up for a wrestler beating him at a WM or he keeps it and comes back every year as an official or something along those lines, like a ref or an "official mascot" for Wrestlemania.

Guest Kinetic

It'd mean so much more if it happened at WM, though.  I really like the Brock Lesnar idea for WM 19, if he's over enough to warrant it.  For Undertaker, there's the knowledge that he helped make a new star.  Passing the torch is such bullshit in wrestling because it rarely, if ever, happens.  But that could be a genuine example of someone actually passing the torch.

Guest converge241

Yes the Lesnar idea sounds great if he beats him at WM19, but only if they play it up right. videos , interviews, the announcers always stressing that Take has not lost.

The best pasrt about that is you still give Lesnar a big match , continue his elevation, but it doesnt put him in position for the title yet.

If he catches on they need to milk that for all hes worth and not give him the title on a Raw (a la the Goldberg win).

Guest mastermind

I agree UT should only have his win streak broken if there is a wrestler as hot as Austin or Goldberg(more a Goldberg type wrestler) was in 1998. Then have that guy have a storyline that he tries to match the record decade undefeated streak. If there isn't anyone of that level it would kind of be good for Mania lore for him to retire undefeated at the event. I did like what I saw in Lesnar so far. He has the LOOK.

Guest mastermind

I also think it should be someone who hasn't performed at a WrestleMania before. It would have much more impact. Not anyone who has already performed at Mania. The wrestler with the guidance or approval of Taker tries to continue his legacy of dominance at the event.

Guest buffybeast

If/when Taker loses at a WM, that should be his last match ever in the WWF, with him passing the proverbial torch to someone else.

Guest notJames

Most guys want to ride off into the sunset as a face (it would seem so, anyway). For UT to do it right, he'd have to know and acknowledge  that WM would be his last match EVER. Maybe a career ending injury, admitting his shelf-life is near, whatever. Pick a guy to put over, not necessarily lose against, but someone he can make look good. Depending if it's a face everyone loves or a heel everyone hates, that would decide the outcome. But either way, he should go out with some kind of respect.

And yes, there is something to be said about not too many things being special anymore in wrestling. Most if not all the dream matchups have either been done (Hogan/Rock) or are way past their prime (Austin/Flair - my opinion). The two big belts are now ostensibly one. So having Taker go out undefeated in WM would signify a remarkable anomaly in a time when there are too few left.

I haven't been too crazy about Taker as of late, but he's put his time in with Vince and stayed loyal while others took the big Turner bucks or completely snubbed him (deservedly or not), so he warrants some kind of recognition. Yeah, he's been played up as an überMainEventer most of his career, but that's more a testament to how successful his character has endeared itself to the fans. So sure, give him the gold watch with the engraving "WM 11-0", as long as everyone comes out gold too.

Guest dreamer420

I think his record should remain intact.  Going undefeated for 10 straight wrestlemania's is a great legacy to leave behind once retired.

Guest goodhelmet

I've stated before that if the Undertaker truly 'loves' the business as much as he says he does then he should have no problem putting over younger talent. What better way for someone to be elevated then to end the streak? Someone beating Taker at Mania would be huge and would certainly give a young wrestler a much needed rub.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

As a present to Anglesault...I've been thinking...

Technically Kurt Angle has never been beat at WrestleMania.

Yes he lost both titles at Mania 2000...but he's never been beat at WrestleMania.

So...next year Angle will be going on about his undefeated streak...and then be served up to the Undertaker at WrestleMania 19.

Guest Some Guy

If Lesner gets over (which he probably will) and can actually work a good match then I'm all for it.  Lesner should get Goldbergian style squash matches on TV and then longer more competitive matches on PPV to prove himself IMO.  A clean win over Taker to break his streak, assuming he isn't retired by then would be huge for him, similar to Goldberg over Hogan.  

A new guy would benifit far more from it than someone like Angle (sorry Anglesault) because Angle is already way over and has beaten Austin, Rock, HHH, etc...

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Oh...I didn't say that Angle would win.

He'll be #11...

it's just that they have the storyline built in.

Guest JHawk

I actually like bps21's idea.  Shocking, huh?   :)

Seriously though.  Everything they've done with Angle is based on something like that.  "It's my first Royal Rumble and I always win firsts." So saying he's "undefeated" at WrestleMania and facing Taker could be a h-e-l-l of an angle provided both are healthy.  I'd also agree that Angle should probably lose that match, but I'd have the near fall after the Angle Slam be so close that Angle thinks he's won and gets pinned shortly thereafter.

Kind of a moot point now though, when you figure this is a year away again.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

My points are always good.

They just get blasted because people hate me.

Guest Austin3164life

I think Undertaker should retire with his 11-0 streak because like life has taught us, you are remembered by what you do at the end of your career.  If Undertaker retires by being beaten at a WM, he'll be remembered as the guy who lost going out.......

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Foley lost going out...and people respect him more for it

Guest dreamer420
Foley lost going out...and people respect him more for it

I wanted Foley to win the title at Wrestlemania 2000.  That would have been my all time favorite wrestling moment.