TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DrTom

Duke loses

Guest DrTom

Woo-hoo!  Indiana makes the big-time comeback and knocks fucking Duke out of the tourney.  That was a hella good game, made 5000x better by its outcome.  

With Jason Williams and Carlos Boozer going into the NBA after this season, what's Duke's future look like?  Dunleavy, Duhon, and ... ?

Guest El Satanico

ahahahaha...

I love it. Duke losing is one of my two most enjoyable events to behold in sports. The other is the Yankees losing.

Guest cabbageboy

From the college hoops thread, my predictions:

"Duke/Indiana...I am torn here.  The mark in me says Indiana pulls a big upset.  I think Duke will be upset at Rupp but not sure which round.  Duke will be getting Rocky type negative heat at Rupp (as in past two WMs).  Duke wins here but Kent St. pulls it off next game in a huge shocker."

I fucking said it baby...mind you I didn't actually say Indiana would beat them, actually I had Kent St. doing it.  But I did say that they would get serious Rocky heel heat at Rupp and that there was no fucking way they were going into Rupp Arena and winning two games.  The ghost of Adolph Rupp struck them down, I'm telling you.  I watched most of the game and Duke kicked the crap outta Indiana the whole game, but yet somehow Indiana was willed to the win.  Something very weird and supernatural was going down tonight.

Guest Cerebus The Aardvark

Duke losing in Rupp Arena is a great, great thing.

Oh, glorious day!

Hey Tom, why are you never online (ICQ) anymore, my brother?

Guest DrTom

I haven't installed ICQ yet since I upgraded to WinXP.  I'm still on AIM pretty regularly, though, if you have that.

Guest cabbageboy

You know, also on the Hoops thread I said that Duke had two choices:  they could either job at Rupp or be lynched.  We know which decision they made.  I am shocked that the pundits didn't realize the significance of Rupp Arena here.  I don't think people like Vitale quite understand how LOATHED Duke is in the state of Ky.

Kent St. vs. Indiana....payback for the Hoosiers from last year's humiliating 1st round defeat?  We shall see.

Guest imajackoff?

I feel asleep just after halftime of this game and didnt wake up until 10:15.  I thought to myself "let me check the score and see how much Duke won by".  ####...I was SHOCKED.  Part of me is happy that Duke is gone, but being a Maryland fan, I kind of wanted the chance to face them in the Championship game.

Guest El Satanico

I watched the 6 pm Sportscenter before the games and they did talk about the significance of Duke playing at Rupp and that Duke is hated by most of Kentucky. I'm not sure if Vitale said anything about it, but in one of the Sweet 16 segment they did.

Guest Vern Gagne

Jason Williams was the goat. He played poorly, and he missed the free throw at the end. Not a memorable way to end your college career.

Duke has 3 or 4 Top 20 recruits coming in next season.

Oklahoma's chances of making the Championship game just got a whole lot better.

Guest cabbageboy

Well, I have been pimping Oklahoma all year, especially since they beatdown Maryland with ease.  I've been saying that they are the best team I've seen this year, I can't find any glaring weakness they have.  They have insane rebounding, can hit the three BUT do not heavily rely on it (listening Duke?), have a go to guy if they need him (Price), and they don't seem to have a bad night.  Also they can win scoring 60 or they can run and gun and score 90 on you.  

I hope UK and Indiana both get to the final 4....that is fucking basketball!  Kent St. and Oregon in the final 4 = HHH and Jericho.  Indiana and Kentucky in final 4 = Hogan and Flair.  It just seems right when those teams do well.

Guest Ripper

Not a Duke fan or anything, and I am happy that Indiana won and all, BUT, when boozer got the rebound off the free throw miss and had the EASy putback, they fouled the SHIOT out of him.  It almost looked intentional.  But hey, after the massive screwjob they got in their favor to win it all last year in the finals, its all Karma.

Guest cabbageboy

Oh definitely, I know Indiana fouled Boozer during that last second scramble.  I'll let you all figure out how much I give a shit.  It was bad enough to call the foul on the 3 pointer, but if they had called it at the end and Boozer sank two free throws to win it, there might have been a riot at Rupp.

Guest DrTom

"Jason Williams was the goat."

That's really easy to say, but remember that Williams is the one who hit that *very* clutch three to set up the foul shot.  He may not have played his best game, but he gave his team a chance to tie late.  There's no way he's the goat.

As for Boozer's missed putback, he brought the ball down too far.  Anyone dumb enough to do that isn't going to get a foul called most of the time, even if they do play for Duke.

Guest cabbageboy

See, the tourney commitee tried to give Duke a jobber bracket to come out of, but sometimes you just can't predict this stuff.  Conversely, the west was stacked big time and yet it hasn't been all that amazing.  If you told Oklahoma they had to play IL Chicago, Xavier, Arizona, and then Missouri to get to the GA Dome, they'd take it.

It is difficult to predict what 2nd round struggles will do for a team.  Duke jobbed, but I recall in 1997 UK had a big struggle with Iowa the 2nd round (won by 6) and then got to the final game.

Well, one overrated ACC team is down....one to go.  ;-)

Guest Vern Gagne

Williams hit a big 3 but when he had to make the FT he didn't come through. That's the third time this year that Jason William's poor FT shooting cost Duke at least OT.

I can't believe I'd ever say this but Duke was robbed by the refs. Towards the end of the game Duhon made a clean strip of the ball, but the refs called it a reach-in foul. Duke gets more calls than anyone but that was a clean steal. The announcers even pointed it out.

Guest DrTom

"I can't believe I'd ever say this but Duke was robbed by the refs."

Good.  As many goddamn questionable calls they get to go their way, it's about time they were on the other end.  It's a shame most NCAA referees have to fight Dick Vitale for the lead spot in the Coach K Fellatio Line.

Guest Cerebus The Aardvark

I don't care what happens in the Final Four. Maryland is my pick, but I am fairly indifferent, since I don't care about any of the 4 teams. Duke lost, so I'm happy.

What's your AIM name, Tom?

I don't follow college basketball much so can I ask a question? Why does everyone hate Duke?

I hate duke because they are alwaysd overrated and they take national tv time from teams that I want to watch.  Also the players taking coaster classes to get their graduation rate up kind of pisses me off too.

--Rob

Seeing Duke and Kansas (even though they made the final 4 they didn't get the title) not get the job done made for a satisfying tourney for me, Indiana used to be on my hated list but it was only b/c of Knight, so I can let them slide now.  Go Terps!

I hate duke because they are alwaysd overrated and they take national tv time from teams that I want to watch.  Also the players taking coaster classes to get their graduation rate up kind of pisses me off too.

--Rob

A lot of schools do that dude.