TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MooreMark

What was Waylon Mercy's Gimmick?

Guest areacode212

Basically, he was a guy who cut promos as a gentlemanly babyface, but there was just something a bit "off" about him. When the match started, he would snap and go into psycho heel mode. Then after squashing his opponent (almost always a jobber, since he didn't hang around long enough to have a real opponent, other than Savio Vega & Diesel), he would be a nice guy again.

His gimmick was way before its time. I remember when he would be introduced and walking down the aisle he would shake the fans hands and be like "Thank you for coming out tonight" "how are you". Then he would shake the refs and opponents hand and a few minutes into his match would snap. Great gimmick. It's straight out of the movie "CAPE FEAR" with Robert Deniro. His music was very haunting too.

Guest evilhomer

Lives are gonna be... In Waylon Mercy's hands... you know what I mean?

The absolute classic, "What I slipped" to the ref after DDTing some poor jobber on the floor.

Guest MillenniumMan831

Man, that grin on his face was sinister.

Plus, during his entrance, the roof would go dark and the moon would come out. Eerie stuff.

I also remember marking out when he got a CO win over Champion Diesel on SuperStars. Unfortunately, that led to nothing.

I think Doink was the only guy he beat that was a name - and even then, I think that was Doink's last match. Could have sworn he was going to beat Savio at IYH III.

Guest Askewniverse

I remember the crazed look in his eyes that Mercy would get when applying his sleeperhold finisher. The look in his eyes, combined with the dagger tattoo on his forehead made for a somewhat creepy visual.

Guest nl5xsk1

Thanks, guys. I didn't realize it was THAT blatant of a take off of Cape Fear.

Guest cynicalprofit
I think Doink was the only guy he beat that was a name - and even then, I think that was Doink's last match. Could have sworn he was going to beat Savio at IYH III.

Doink came back at WM17. And I hear he's all over the indy circuit.

Guest BAR

I didn't see Cape Fear til after Mercy had come and gone. The pieces all fell into place.