TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Urban Warfare

The one and only NHL playoffs thread

Guest Kahran Ramsus

I got 6 winners right in the first round. I missed on Detroit & Edmonton (picked the wrong upset).

I got the number of games right for Ottawa, New Jersey, Philly & Minnesota.

EDIT: I meant Tampa, not Minnesota. I picked the Wild in 6.

Guest MaxPower27

I got 5 series right (Ottawa, Tampa, Philly, Dallas, Anaheim)

I only got the number of games in 2 series (Ottawa and Tampa)

Guest Space_Cowboy

Eastern Conference

Ottawa in 6

New Jersey in 5

Western Conference

Dallas in 6

Vancouver in 7

I say we're headed for a New Jersey-Dallas Finals.

my picks:

dallas over edmonton in 6

detroit over anaheim in 5

colorado sweeps minnesota

vancouver over st louis in 7

ottawa over new york in 5

jersey over boston in 5

washington over tampa in 6

toronto over philidelphia in 7

Cup Champs:Colorado

i got 4 numbers right, and 4 picks right.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Anaheim vs Tampa Bay would mean that one city would have won 2 Major Sports Championships in the same year. Don't know when the last time thats happened, but Im willing to bet it hasn't happened that often.

Tampa - Bucs - Super Bowl

Anaheim - Angels - World Series

Guest Kahran Ramsus
Anaheim vs Tampa Bay would mean that one city would have won 2 Major Sports Championships in the same year. Don't know when the last time thats happened, but Im willing to bet it hasn't happened that often.

Tampa - Bucs - Super Bowl

Anaheim - Angels - World Series

I think Denver came close with the Avs & Broncos in the late 90s, but I can't remember whether it was the same year or not.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

And yeah, I know that the Angels won the World Series Last year but the hockey season started last year so it counts.

Guest Hogan Made Wrestling

I got 6 series right (I picked Detroit and St. Louis) and got the games right for Philly-Toronto, Ottawa-NYI, and Minnesota-Colorado.

Guest bob_barron

No city has ever had NBA and NHL champs in the same year.

Chicago came close in 1992 and NY came close in 1994.

Guest bob_barron
I got 6 series right (I picked Detroit and St. Louis) and got the games right for Philly-Toronto, Ottawa-NYI, and Minnesota-Colorado.

I got right-

New Jersey, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Vancouver

I got- NJD, Ottawa, Dallas and Vancouver in games

Guest bob_barron

As a long suffering Vancouver fan this is great to see them finally doing well. I was getting emotional and tearing up talking to my best friend- another long suffering fan.

I hope this run will continue- I love seening something good finally happen

Guest Vern Gagne

Hockey fans. Will we continue to see upsets and a suprise Stanly Cup winner, or will it end up being a top seed coming out on top.

Guest LaParkaMarka

I was all set to watch the Canucks game, and then my sister decided to go into labour. So I got to spend 6 hours at the maternity ward of Royal Columbia Hospital. Hooray.

Nice to see the Nucks win though...the franchise really needed a series win. Vancouver has perpetually choked when expectations are high (no one expected the run in 94) so it's damn great that they pulled it off.

And the Wild winning is insano. Who would have thought a 2nd round Minnesota/Vancouver matchup? It's craziness.

I love that Detroit and Colorado are out. All I need is Dallas to die, and I'll be a happier man.

Hey congrats Canucks fans, and good luck against the Wild in the next round. I was ready to give my support for Vancouver against the hated Avalanche, but Minnesota did the job thank goodness. Also do you guys think Joel Quenville is on his way out? I like the guy but in the NHL, sometimes winning isn't even enough and I think they've only reached the conference finals once (2001) since he was there.

Guest PencilJobber

I've always wondered what city has held the most championships in 1 year i always thought NY was the best bet with Yankees and Knicks being dominating at certain times does anyone know if any city has held even 3 of the championships(NFL,NBA,NHL,MLB) in the same year?

Guest starvenger
I've always wondered what city has held the most championships in 1 year i always thought NY was the best bet with Yankees and Knicks being dominating at certain times does anyone know if any city has held even 3 of the championships(NFL,NBA,NHL,MLB) in the same year?

I can't even imagine a city gaining a double, let alone a triple.

Dallas probably has the best shot at the double this year. Minny's a longshot, but after the Wild beat the Avs and the Ducks swept the Wings, anything's possible...

Guest MD2020

Back in 1980, Philly had a shot at a sweep. All 4 teams went to the finals, but unfortunately, only the Phillies pulled it out.

Guest bob_barron

Here's one-

Mets in 1969

Jets in 1969

Knicks in 1970

The Yankees and Knicks have never won the title in the same year. The Knicks have only won titles in 1970 and 1973.

Pittsburgh also won MLB and NFL in 1979.

The Mets won in 1986 and the Giants won the 1986 season but the Super Bowl was in 1987.

Guest starvenger
The Mets won in 1986 and the Giants won the 1986 season but the Super Bowl was in 1987.

Does it really count if the Giants play in New Jersey?

Guest treble charged
West

(1) Dallas vs (8) Edmonton

- Dallas in 6. I want Edmonton to win, but I have to be reasonable here. I just hope this is as good as their previous series.

(2) Detroit vs (7) Anaheim

-Detroit in 5. Thomas was a good pick-up, but he's not going to beat Detroit.

(3) Colorado vs (6) Minnesota

-Minnesota in 7. Just a feeling I have. I think they'll take the Avs by surprise like Edmonton did a few years back.

(4) Vancouver vs (5) St. Louis

-Vancouver in 6. St. Louis played like crap today against Colorado. They have a good team, but no proven playoff record in the past few years. The Canucks just need Cloutier to be on top of his game.

East

(1) Ottawa vs (8) NY Islanders

-Ottawa in 6. The Sens may lose a game or two on Long Island, but the Isles have played like crap down the stretch, and if either the Rangers or the Habs had played any better, they'd be here instead.

(2) New Jersey vs (7) Boston

-New Jersey in 5. Boston has Thornton, Murray, and umm... crappy goaltending? Jersey learned their lesson with taking opponents too lightly with Carolina last year.

(3) Tampa Bay vs (6) Washington

-Washington in 5. I like Tampa, but they don't have much experience compared to the Caps. Khabibulin will have to be spectacular for them to win.

(4) Philidelphia vs (5) Toronto

-Toronto in 6. This is essentially the same Philly team that the Sens shut down last year. Yuskeivich should help them a bit in the defence department, but if Belfour plays like he has for most of this season, they won't be scoring many goals, anyway.

In the West I guessed 3 series right (only missing the Anaheim/Detroit series) and got the number of games right in 2 of them.

In the East I got 2 of them right and only got the right number in the Jersey/Boston series.

Guest treble charged
So, we've got:

Eastern Conference

Ottawa (1) vs Philadelphia (4)

New Jersey (2) vs Tampa (3)

Western Conference

Dallas (1) vs Anaheim (7)

Vancouver (4) vs Minnesota (6)

Predictions?

East

Ottawa vs. Philadelphia

-Ottawa in 6. They're the better team and have had a few more days off in between the start of the series. They may lose the first game, but I think eventually, Philly's fatigue will catch up to them.

New Jersey vs. Tampa Bay

-Tampa in 6. This is my upset for this round, don't really know why, just a feeling I have.

West

Dallas vs. Anaheim

-Dallas in 6. The Stars won't take the Ducks as lightly as the Wings probably did in the first round. Giguere will have to keep up his tremendous play if the Ducks are going to win this series.

Vancouver vs. Minnesota

-Vancouver in 7. I see this as a long series that will probably wear down whichever team wins for the next round. Both teams are on hot streaks now, so something's going to have to give.

Guest bob_barron

Keeping up with the double double- Here's the list of years where cities had both teams make it to the finals.

1928- Yankees/NY Rangers

1932-Yankees/Rangers

1933-Giants/Rangers

1934-Red Wings/Tigers

1937-Yankees/Giants/Rangers

1938-Cubs/Blackhawks

1945-Red Wings/Tigers

1946-Bruins/Red Sox

1950-Yankees/Rangers

1951-Yankees/Giants/Knicks

1952-Yankees/Dodgers/Knicks

1953-Yankees/Dodgers/Knicks

1957-Bruins/Celtics

1958-Bruins/Celtics

1968-Blues/Cardinals

1969-Mets/Jets

1971-Bullets/Colts

1973-Knicks/Mets

1974-Bruins/Celtics

1980-Flyers/Phillies/76ers

1981-Islanders/Yankees

1983-Phillies/76ers

1984-Lakers/Raiders

1986-Red Sox/Celtics/Patriots

1988-Lakers/Dodgers

1989-A's/Giants/49ers

1990-A's/49ers

1991-North Stars/Twins

1992-Blackhawks/Bulls

1994-Rangers/Knicks

1999-Yankees/Knicks

2001-Yankees/Giants

Guest bob_barron

Well they're called the New York Giants and have NY on their helmets- so I'll allow it

Guest MD2020

Thank you barron. I think I meant that Philly had a possible sweep back in 1980 because the Super Bowl was in Jan. 1980, although it obviously was for the 1979 season.

Guest Brush with Greatness

Just checked out the schedule for the second round. Not one single Saturday night game. What the fuck is that? Thanks a fucking lot ABC/NHL. Way to fuck with Canadian tradition to draw those huge Saturday afternoon ratings in the States. :rolleyes:

Guest starvenger

Well they're called the New York Giants and have NY on their helmets- so I'll allow it

I suppose so. I'm just being nitpicky.

Nitpicky again, but A's and 49ers? I realize that Oakland and San Francisco are right across the bay from each other, but come on!!