TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Garth

Reading & Leeds festival....

Guest MissMattitude
for those who care:

JAY-Z, LOSTPROPHETS, JUNIOR SENIOR, THE USED and FINCH are the latest additions to the CARLING WEEKEND: READING AND LEEDS festivals.

Personally, i love Jay-Z, so i'm a happy bunny :)

I love Finch and I like The Used and the Lostprophets.

I can't stand Jay-Z and I have never heard of Junior Senior.

The only bands that interest me remotely are Turbonegro, Buck 65, Squarepusher and British Sea Power. The comedy stage looks alright, but altogether it just ain't worth what it'll cost ya. Oh, and in another hilarious move campfires have been banned, just to hammer home how manufactured this really is nowadays. Plus I was lucky enough to get to Glastonbury, and there's no way on earth this will compare.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Scary thing is, after listening to Mudvayne's first album, if they had/used more musical skill, they'd be getting towards some low level form of Prog.

That's actually not an accident. Producer David Bottrill worked for YEARS with progressive supergiants, King Crimson, and then moved on to aggressive progressive geniuses, Tool.

I maintain that Mudvayne has a good bass player, and that no one else in the band is really worth a shit. With a good vocalist, they could pull off being decent, but alas..it's a bad band with a good bassist.

Scary thing is, after listening to Mudvayne's first album, if they had/used more musical skill, they'd be getting towards some low level form of Prog.

That's actually not an accident. Producer David Bottrill worked for YEARS with progressive supergiants, King Crimson, and then moved on to aggressive progressive geniuses, Tool.

I maintain that Mudvayne has a good bass player, and that no one else in the band is really worth a shit. With a good vocalist, they could pull off being decent, but alas..it's a bad band with a good bassist.

I like the drum work as well, but yeah. I actually think the rhythm section used to work on jazz projects or something, so I wouldn't be surprised if they leave mudvayne and pull off something decent down the road.

I just found all these from a link on MSN Today:

Reading - Little Johns Farm, Reading Rd, Berks

Friday, August 22: Linkin Park, Blink 182

Saturday, August 23: Blur, The White Stripes

Sunday, August 24: Metallica, System Of A Down

Leeds - Temple Newsam Park, West Yorkshire

Friday, August 22: Metallica, System Of A Down

Saturday, August 23: Linkin Park, Blink 182

Sunday, August 24: Blur, The White Stripes

Other acts confirmed to play are as follows: Sum 41, Beck, Placebo, Doves, The Streets, Elbow, The Music, Courtney Love, Good Charlotte, The Polyphonic Spree, The Datsuns, AFI, The Mars Volta, Hundred Reasons, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Cooper Temple Clause.

Whats your thoughts on the line up so far?

At the moment i think its pretty good not all to my taste but a nice variety.

Here is your schedule, should you go:

FRIDAY, AUGUST 22nd - Leeds

SATURDAY, AUGUST 23rd - Reading

SUNDAY, AUGUST 24th - Leeds

It'll be interesting to see what Chave and MissMattitude say but here is my take on the weekend...

Friday 22nd August:

-Blink182 were fun.

-Linkin Park are better live than I expected. I also caught one of the drum sticks thrown into the crowd by LP's drummer!

-There was too much Pop-Punk on the Main Stage.

-Adam Hills was hilarious in the Comedy Tent.

-Blackalicious were really good.

Saturday 23rd August:

-Blur played an absolute stinker. They butchered 'Song 2' and not even the appearance of Phil Daniels himself for 'Parklife' and 'Think Tank' could save them.

-Hundred Reasons rocked the Radio 1 stage.

-Me and my roommate (Jimmy Beard) made the big screens for our 'Carling Confession' before Blur. I cannot describe how cool it is to have 40,000+ laugh at your antics.

-Seeing the boys from MTV:UK's 'Dirty Sanchez' physically punish each other was great fun.

Sunday 24th August:

-METALLICA WERE AWESOME. They played only 'Frantic' and 'St.Anger' from the new album and only 'Fuel' from the Load twins, otherwise it was all old-school Metallica. AND THEY FUCKING RULED. Also seeing Daron Malakaian from SOAD scream 'Die' during 'Creeping Death' was amazing.

-System Of A Down were brilliant as well. Despite a dusty mosh pit.

-Sum 41 stunk up the main stage as did Good Charlotte. Sum 41's attempt at 'Master Of Puppets' was not as well recieved as they probably had hoped.

-Being let backstage accidently and meeting Page 3 model Leilani, and then being recognised from the 'Carling Confessions' the previous night by Grandaddy was immensley cool.

Overall:

I had previously been to the Reading Festival in 2000 and 2001, both times thoroughly enjoying myself. But in terms of entertainment and other occurences, this time has become my favourite by some way. Big thumbs up from me!

Day 1: I don't know about the rest of you but i loved Electric six, they were really good live to watch. Also... hold on let me get my poster out so i can give my opinions some more. The circle pit round the middle screen that hardly moved made me laugh. Enjoyed the Darkness had allot of energy, Blink were shit, Linkin park i didn't bother sticking round for went back to my tent and got hammered.

Day 2: 10:00 - Swore i'd never drink again 10:30-Beer in hand. Today i just chilled out and slept as there wasn't a heck of allot i wanted to see today. Watched Turbonegro, they were cool to watch. Slept some more after that until beck came on, he was great loved his set, and his medley of Crazy in love/Rock your body, that had me laughing but that might have something to do with all the fumes from the weed. ;) Watched Blur - nothing to write home about.

I can't be bothered to write up day 3 i'll come back and do it later.

THE CHAVE REPORT!!!!

First up, I would like to say I felt rough as fuck the whole weekend, and so didn't see that many bands, but here are my opinions of what I did see:

Friday

Franz Ferdinand: Good litle indie band. No outstanding songs, but you can see they've got potential. Sound like a mix of The Smiths, The Clash and Pulp.

The Datsuns: I didn't expect much, but they're a damn good live band. Nice metal riffs, got the fans up for it and got a nice little pit going

The Darkness: Amazingly impressive. I thought they'd be pretty crap musically, but they didn't show themselves up of anything. The crowd were crazy for them, they stole the festival and "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" will be a massive hit.

The Polyphonic Spree: Got the fans involved nicely, got a lively bit of pogo-ing going on, and left you with a smile on your face, mainly because they played the ending scenes of Disney's Robin Hood with their last song.

Saturday

The Libertines: I love them. They sounded good without Pete, but lacked that edge of unpredictability. Again, some nice pogo action going on.

Beck: Sucked so much, I walked the 20 minutes back to my tent instead of having to put up with him.

Blur: Screw you guys, I loved them. Played some great stuff off Parklife, played some new stuff to give us a breather and Damon fell of the stage. Plum.

Sunday

Radio 4: Meh. OK, but had no decent songs to work with. Crowd only got interested when Har Mar Superstar got on stage for a bit.

The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster: Again, most would hate them, but I loved them. Got down the front to touch the singer, had some very vocal fans and Psychosis Safari sounds great live.

Har Mar Superstar: Genius. Played an electroclash version of Enter Sandman, worked the crowd with his "arrogance" and got Jack Osbourne on stage to jump around to random disco. Superb.

Grandaddy: I loved The Sophtware Slump, but they aren't great live, so I went to see...

Squarepusher: Who I couldn't handle with a cold. On record good, but there wasn't enough glitch support to make a good atmosphere and make it work.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Again, disappointing. I was willing to give them a shot, but they weren't that engaging live.

Metallica: Saw the first few songs, but I'm not a fan of their repetitve churning riffs, and I wasn't gonna see anything to change my mind that night. I went down with a load of fans, and they were raving so I guess it's a matter of taste.

OVERALL: I didn't come to the festival for the music this year, but because so many of my good mates were going so in that respect the festival rocked. However, the only band of the weekend I truly loved before the festival were The Libertines so music-wise it was nothing special. The comedy tent was probably the best place in the arena for me...

-Me and my roommate (Jimmy Beard) made the big screens for our 'Carling Confession' before Blur. I cannot describe how cool it is to have 40,000+ laugh at your antics.

NICE! Which ones were you? What did you say?

Me and Jimmy were the chubby indian guy (me) and white guy that were giving each other chops across the chest before I headbutted him, chokeslammed him and delivered a Stone Cold elbow drop while shouting 'STONE COLD!'.

Yeah we ripped the sequence from 'Spaced' but it got us on the Carling Confessions so we rule!

Me and Jimmy were the chubby indian guy (me) and white guy that were giving each other chops across the chest before I headbutted him, chokeslammed him and delivered a Stone Cold elbow drop while shouting 'STONE COLD!'.

Yeah we ripped the sequence from 'Spaced' but it got us on the Carling Confessions so we rule!

Heh, I vaguely remember that. You guy's rock! Not that it was ever in doubt ;)

I only went on the friday. Half the reason I went was because my mate is a massive Metallica fan and I ended up really enjoying their set, kept waiting due to the crush during System Of A Down's set but it was worth it. Other highlights were Grandaddy, HOt Hot Heat and Radio 4 in the Radio 1 tent and Tommy Tiernan & Jim Jefferies in the comedy tent. Grandaddy moaned about 'fake' punk rock but played really well and Radio 4 really got everybody moving even though I didn't quite see all of their set. Jim Jeffries had everyone rolling in the comedy tent at his gloriously unsubtle Australian rantings which providing you weren't American, Irish or female woudn't have offended you in the slightest. Only downside was the ridiculously long time it took to get on one of the buses back to Leeds city centre.

Did you guys manage to get campfires? Or did some schoolmastery dude come and stamp them out? I really wanted to see British Sea power actually, did anyone intelligent skip metallica for them?