TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest areacode212

Cobra clutch vs. the million dollar dream

Guest areacode212

I was watching Austin vs. Angle from SummerSlam 2001 before I went to work this morning, and saw Austin slap a certain move on Kurt. J.R. went nuts and called it a cobra clutch several times, saying that we haven't seen it since the Ringmaster days. But it sure as hell looked like the Million Dollar Dream to me (they even did the pinning spot from Surv. Series 96). And we saw Austin bust it out against the Rock at Wrestlemania X-7, so what was Ross talking about? Is the Million Dollar Dream just another name for the cobra clutch?

Guest Tony149

Yes, it's the same thing. They called it "The Million Dollar Dream" to fit Ted DiBiase's gimmick.

Guest areacode212

So I wonder why Ross didn't just call it that in the Austin/Angle match since Austin called it the Million Dollar Dream, too. Oh, well.

Guest Tony149

A lot of moves have two or three names. Like when Sting used the Scporion Death Lock while Bret Hart used the Sharpshooter. Same thing just called something different.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

They called it a Cobra Clutch at Wrestlemania X-7 too.  I imagine they do it, because its Sgt. Slaughter's finisher.  Slaughter is with the WWF, Dibiase is not.

Guest Kagato Otaku

Makes sense to me. The "Cobra" bit fits in with his snaky persona as well.

But if they start refering to his "python-like right hands" I'm filing protest.

Guest areacode212
They called it a Cobra Clutch at Wrestlemania X-7 too.

Really, I could have sworn they called it a Million Dollar Dream, but that's probably because I was reading IRC at the same time, and everyone was saying shit like:

(from my EFNet #wrestling log, 4/1/01)

[23:38] <mattryan> !

[23:38] <mkart64> !~

[23:38] <mattryan> million dollar dream!

[23:38] <mattryan> ringmaster mentioned

[23:38] <mkart64> ringmaster!\

[23:38] <Factor-1> WHERES TED?!

[23:38] <Factor-1> heheh]

[23:38] <mr_wwil> !!!!!!!

[23:38] *** Joins: Polumbo ([email protected])

[23:38] <mattryan> they're reading my pbp!!!

[23:38] <mkart64> he plugged his old gimmick!

[23:39] <kawada> RINGMASTER MENTION!

Guest Kagato Otaku

I *think* they called it the Cobra Clutch at SumSlam and the Million Dollar Dream at WM X-7. I'm almost sure of it. I think Ross said something about taking a page out of the Ringmaster's playbook.

Guest Tony149

They called it the Cobra Clutch & Million Dollar Dream at WrestleMania. It was called the Cobra clutch during the gimmick battle royal when Sarge was using it and called the Million Dollar Dream during Rock/Austin. JR said something to the effect of "Austin hasn't used that move since his days as the Ringmaster!"

Guest Whatever37

Yeah I'm pretty sure they called it the Million Dollar Dream at WM X-7. Even though they're the same thing, I've always marked out for the Million Dollar Dream like crazy but find the Camel Clutch just so-so.

Guest The Vanilla Midget

on one of the most recent ppv's, vengeance i think, austin did it again, and im sure that jr called it the million dollar dream.  not 100% sure though

Guest Maurizio C... Version 2

btw, that was awesome psychology on the part of Austin. using old wrestling moves to tame the rock...

Guest Big Poppa Popick

wasnt the name cobra clutch some reference to the evil gi joe goons?

Guest Army Eye
They called it a Cobra Clutch at Wrestlemania X-7 too.  I imagine they do it, because its Sgt. Slaughter's finisher.  Slaughter is with the WWF, Dibiase is not.

True enough, but the Million Dollar Dream was also Austin's finisher, and Austin IS in the WWF ;)

Guest Repo Man jr

Jim Neidhart used it in WCW as well!

He called it the "Anviliser"! How clever is that? I guess JR must have forgot that one.

Guest Tony149

I would of though "The Anvil" would of called it "Rhino". Didn't JR use to call Niedhart the "Rhino" of the Hart Foudation?