TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheBlurricane

A Pleasant Surprise

Guest TheBlurricane

Since I decided to go on my "I'm not letting TSM dictate my music tastes" trip I went to FYE and utilized their listening stations for a couple of hours.

I had heard Maroon 5 on the radio and thought "Harder to Breathe" was a catchy tune, but thought they would be just some crappy band.........to tell you the truth I thought they were a boy band at first. But then I checked out their album and whoa....nice change from all the current stuff.

Nowdays new music seems to be either pop, pop punk, or nu-metal. This however was more of a easy rock sound. No distorted mush of guitar parts like most nu-metal, no manufactured sound like pop. Just an easy rock sound of guitars, drums, bass, and.........keyboard!! Yeah I marked for the keyboard usage.

Now I don't think this is a break out band or anything like that. They probably won't even be that big, but I was pleasantly surprised by a new band for the first time in quite awhile.

I'm sure I'll probably get a few groans from this board for this one, but damnit..........I liked it!

Well I guess you could still consider them "pop rock", but I meant they're not pop as in bubblegum pop/boy bands.

They were just a group I thought had a nice little sound going.

Guest El Satanico

Well of course they're "pop rock", but that doesn't automatically make a band bad.

Of course I've never even heard of these young lads.

After listening to the whole CD I'd have to say Maroon 5 sounds a little like Chicago without the horns and with just a little light funk mixed in.

Don't let "Harder to Breathe" fool you. The rest of the CD sounds like what I described above.