TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chunk

Macro Vision leads ...

Im looking into getting a Macro Vision lead, for a legal reason (honestly).

I recently bought some DVDs in the US, but I only have a personal VCR. Therefore, I want to copy the DVDs to Video using a public DVD player, so I can watch them on Video in my own time.

Ive heard about Macro Vision leads allowing you to copy DVDs that have Macro Vision installed, but im not sure how good they are and where to get them from.

Does anyone have any info/experience, and where can I get a good one cheaply from?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

ChUnK!

Guest I'm That Damn Zzzzz

http://www.repairfaq.org/filipg/LINK/F_Mac...croVision1.html

If your computer has a cd burner and several GB of space to spare, you'd might be better off ripping your dvds to vcds and copying them that way. (Go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com/sefy/?id=ClassicalGuide.html and follow the guide but choose De-macrovision as well in Smartripper, get Smartripper at www.doom9.org .)

Thanks very much for the help. Before I buy anything though, a mate of mine just let me know something which could help meout. He says he has just bought a new DVD player that disables macro vision automatically when you copy to VHS?

Id never heard of this before, but he says I can use it to copy to VHS if I like.

Is such a thing possible? Or has he got mixed up with something else?

Cheers,

ChUnK!

Many Apex brand dvd players can be made macrovision (and region) free, but they're built shoddily. If you have a few players in mind, search google to see if there are any hacks for it, usually in the form of a secret menu, bios flash (burned to a cd,) or setting a dip switch (this exists on a few old Sony models.)

Alternatives include getting an older VCR or camcorder (a decade old or older) some aren't affected by Macrovision (you basically just have to try them,) or an 8 MM tape deck (I read most aren't affected by it.) Or if you're really handy, there are ways to mod your current vcr to ignore macrovision as noted in the repairfaq article, but I can't help you there.

If you have more questions, please ask.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

All you need to do is get one of those things that converts the signal from the DVD player to coax output and run that through the VCR. In the conversion it seems to disable the macrovision, although I suppose it could be my fairly old DVD player (6 or 7 years old).

I dont know what they call it, but thats what I have and it works for taping DVDs, although I dont do it much because my VCR is a crappy 2 head and it doesn't transfer that well. I could get a newer VCR..but whats the point?

Guest Lethargic

I have a Sima SCC Color Corrector to copy DVDs to VCR. Never hard a problem with copying anything with it.

I have a Sima SCC Color Corrector to copy DVDs to VCR. Never hard a problem with copying anything with it.

How much did it cost and where did you get it from?

Many Apex brand dvd players can be made macrovision (and region) free, but they're built shoddily. If you have a few players in mind, search google to see if there are any hacks for it, usually in the form of a secret menu, bios flash (burned to a cd,) or setting a dip switch (this exists on a few old Sony models.)

The model name that my mate is getting is : MUSTEK V56L

Do you know anything about that model and/or if it Macro vision disabled like he says it is?

Cheers,

ChUnK!

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php?selec...itsu%20DVD-V56L

Momitsu DVD-V56L

1 user hacks:

Add hack

Region code and Macrovision hack posted by dodgy at March 17 2003:

Turn power on with disc tray empty.

Press "SETUP"

Press "NEXT"

Press "PREV"

Press "NEXT"

Press "PREV"

New menu in upper right corner.

UP and DOWN select function, LEFT and RIGHT to change.

Set to 255 for multizone then press down

Change 3001 and 4001 to 3000 and 4000 to turn off macrovision.Doesnt come with s/vcd enabled. To enable it press down again Change 5001 to 5000

basicly it is the same player as the Mustek V56L-2C

it all works fine happy veiwing

dodgy

Give it a try (discreetly of course...)

Guest Lethargic

Just search for Sima SCC on Google and you'll find it at a million different places. I don't remember what the place was called that I got it from.

I cost around 120 but the price has dropped since I got mine.

It's worth 120 though. I've probably copied about 200-300 DVDs with it for free, so it's worth it.

What is NOT worth it is this Apex shit. I fell for this crap. I looked at how cheap they were and I looked at all these patches and codes that let you do all the illegal stuff and thought it sounded great. I got the damn thing and it was the worse piece of shit ever. Apex is priced cheap because the product is cheap. I compared a DVD playing on the Apex to a EP VHS copy of the same movie and the VCR's picture was better. I took the Apex back the next day.

Thanks for the heads up. I really appreciate it. Ill try the remot hack, and if it doesnt work then ill look into getting something else.

As odd as it sounds, i dont actually need it for anythin gillegal :D

My mate bought the DVD player 2 days ago, so it should be delivered soon.

Out of interest, can you get any of this stuff for VCRs? Sorry if im sounding greedy now lol :D

Cheers,

ChUnK!

Amazon.com has Sima SCC for $104.49 with free shipping.

To mod the VCR, you'd need the service manual to find out what to replace.

Guest Lethargic

Yeah the Macro on VHS and DVD is basically the same thing, DVD is probably stronger I think. So if you get something that works on DVD it'll work on VHS too. I hooked a switch to my Sima so I can just switch to copying from DVD to VCR or VCR to VCR.

Guest DVD Spree

Hey Chunk. SInce I'm in the UK too, I thought I'd chip in.

The Innovations catalogue usually sells a SCART lead for about £37 that disables MacroVision, so that might be worth a try. And Argos did the same lead in last season's catalogue, but not this one. There's a LittleWoods/Index in Cardiff that I can check when I'm back there, and they might have the thing too.

Try the hack first, though. Good luck!

Hey Chunk. SInce I'm in the UK too, I thought I'd chip in.

The Innovations catalogue usually sells a SCART lead for about £37 that disables MacroVision, so that might be worth a try. And Argos did the same lead in last season's catalogue, but not this one. There's a LittleWoods/Index in Cardiff that I can check when I'm back there, and they might have the thing too.

Try the hack first, though. Good luck!

Thanks. Ill check out the DVD player, then the hack, and if all fails Ill have to look for ones of those leads from somewhere. £37 isnt too much if it works, I guess :)

ChUnK!

As an aside, what UK Fed is Nikita from?

She's nice.

lol. She works mainly for the FWA. Find them here.

If you haven't heard of the FWA before, they are the fastest up and coming British promotion around. They've got a habit of putting on killer shows, and are promoting a joint show with ROH in a few weeks time.

Nikita is actually a suprisingly good worker as well as having the looks. (Not trying to be sexist, but I think you know what im getting at).

If you want to check out some of the FWA's latest stuff, you can do that here.

All tapes are in Pal format, but they are very well produce and will soon be carried by rf video I believe.

ChUnK!