TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Favorite comic book movie?

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

What is your favorite/best comic book movie?

I liked the Crow the best...but also thought highly of X-Men, and the first Superman & first Batman.

What are yours?

Guest gthureson

I enjoyed X-Men.  Though I think it could have been a bit better if they had blended the expository origins in with action a bit better.  Hopefully a sequel can capture more superhero action because they have already explained who everybody is.

The Crow was enjoyable, though I consider it based loosely on the comic.

Guest areacode212

X-Men was OK, but I thought they tried to cram in too many characters (Batman & Robin-style) resulting in little screen time for most except for Wolverine and maybe Rogue. I would have been happier if they had focused on Magneto and perhaps Mystique (cause you gotta have a sexy villainess) and saved Toad and Sen. Kelly for another movie.

You're right, hopefully the sequel will be better now that we've established who everyone is.

The Crow didn't have that certain quiet & lonely feel (which I liked) that the comic had, but other than that, it was a decent adaptation. I still don't think it's as great as everyone says it is, though.

Batman (1989) is probably my favorite comic book movie.

Guest Sassquatch

I swear...

Listen, I love Batman as much as the next person. But it committed the ULTIMATE sin in a movie adaptation:

It completely changed the origin of the character in order to satisfy the mainstream audiences.

If Burton would have just left the origin alone and left Joe Chill as the killer, the Batman movie would be without hesitation my pick as the best comic related movie.

A bunch of my friends who know about Bats but don't read the comics think that the Joker was the one who killed Bruce's parents when in fact that's not even the case.  And luckily, DC DID NOT go ahead and make that as Bats real origin.

Except for that DUMBASS move, I liked the movie but it only gets *** from me.

Nicholson played a great Joker and Keaton rocked the boat as Bats IMO.  And Kim Basinger...yummy.

The ONLY comic related movie that was REALLY good with few Hollywood "edits" was the first Superman movie.  I swear, if you left Clarke's parents alive, kept Luthor out of the sewers, and got rid of Beatty, you could not tell if this movie was made during the Pre-Crisis or Post-Crisis Superman era.

**** out of **** all the way.

Guest MaskedDanger

I fell asleep while watching X Men. At the theater, mind you. I thought it was just because I never followed the series that closely, but I think it was that parts of it were just really, really boring. I mean, we KNOW that Wolverine is a badass. Do we really need another segment of him acting surly to nail that home? Other parts of the movie (the fights mainly) were okay, though.  

The first two Batman movies were pretty good; the Joker thing in the first one REALLY pissed me off, though. Something else that's bothered me about the whole franchise, though, is how Batman tears through his rogues' gallery mercilessly, leaving the corpses of his enemies in his wake. I mean, sure, Catwoman survived, but up until the last movie every villain either died or was rendered a vegetable. Not too Batman-esque, if you ask me. It seems similar to what Sass was saying about changing aspects of the hero to suit the mainstream. But a more functional issue is that now all the good villains are gone! We're left with Arh-nald's retarded Mr. Freeze (cryogenics expert my ass!) and Uma's over-acted to an inch of her life Poison Ivey, second string villains portrayed by second string actors/actress. Raw deal.

I thought the Crow was good (the fights were great) but the scenes of "Eric Draven" playing guitar on the roof of his home were so hokey and overblown that they almost made me laugh. Everything else was good, though, even though the comic was better, much, much trippier (the Crow quoting Jesus while blowing some guy's head off) and much more moving.

The first Superman was great. I might get it on DVD soon.

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

Based solely on camp value, Batman: The Movie.  

And no one's really mentioned Blade yet.  The first ten minutes alone are worth the rental.

Guest gthureson

The key change they made to 'The Crow' for the movie was adding the entire 'Goth' supernatural element.

The way I always understood the comic was Draven *wasn't* dead, and come back to life.   He just *refused* to die until he got his revenge.

Which, if you ask me for my opinion, is far more bad-ass.

That, and they totally skipped over most of the parts where it was hinted that Eric isn't functioning on neural cylinders anymore.   He is talking to a crow, for crissakes.  

But, you have to look at the goals in writing the graphic novel and making the movie though.

The graphic novel was written as a cathartic release of repressed anger, violence and sorrow.

The movie was made to be a money-making star vehicle for Brandon Lee.

Probably why I enjoyed the graphic novel far more.

Guest Dark Lotus

The first Superman movie is pure greatness.  Well done from beginning to end.

Batman and Robin was an abomination however.

Guest Kagato Otaku

If we're including animated films,  Batman: Mask of the Phantasm gets my vote.

Guest pochorenella

I agree with you, Kagato. Mask of the Phantasm is a great flick.

The Crow has always been a favorite of mine, as well as Blade and I liked the X-Men movie too, believe it or not.

Heck, I kinda liked the Punisher movie even!

But I'm having wet dreams in anticipation por the Spider-Man movie. I've got a feeling it's gonna ROCK!

Peace.

Guest Sassquatch

Well it's about fucking time you show up Mask...

And you too gthureson.

All we need now is AustinHHH4Life and we're set!

Guest J*ingus

"The way I always understood the comic was Draven *wasn't* dead, and come back to life.   He just *refused* to die until he got his revenge."

There was something supernatural going on in the comic books.  Draven took repeated gunshot wounds to the head, had a magical ability to instantly locate anyone he'd already found previously, plus the crow talked to him.  That ain't normal.  

Speaking of masks, The Mask completely ignored the comic book, but was a good little movie on its own.  Plus it introduced the world to Cameron Diaz.

Guest areacode212

My old Speech teacher was in The Punisher!

Yeah, The Mask was pretty good. I didn't read the comic book, though, so I can't really compare the two.

And yes, the whole "Batman is a killer, just like every other action movie character" thing didn't sit too well with me. It's really out of character for him to have the Batmobile crash into a building, armor up and blow thugs to bits.

Guest Sassquatch

I can deal with Batman smoking thugs, but killing the Joker, Penguin, Two Face, and Bane was SO wrong.  This is another one of the reasons why I hate Burton as a director who feels he has to add his own little bullshit ideas in the movie adaptation's that he directs.

Fuck Burton.

And Danny DeVito, sans the killer Penguin pets, was AWESOME as the Penguin.

Tommy Lee Jones sucked as Two Face for various reasons (Joker-lite anyone?) and Carey as the Riddler was "eh" for me.

And Michelle Pheiffer as Catwoman was 'O SO DOABLE in that outfit she wore.  And being blonde didn't bother me too much either.  In fact, I just completely ignored that little mistake, considering how good of a job she did as Catwoman.

Guest areacode212

Yeah, what the fuck was Tommy Lee Jones thinking? He could have been a good creepy Two-Face, but instead he was trying to out-ham Carrey, which is obviously a lost cause.

Guest Kagato Otaku

Why is Poison Ivy dancing in a gorilla suit? Why is Bruce carrying a Bat-Card (don't leave the cave wthout it)? Why are those two movies so dang goofy? Why all the close-ups of Bat-ass? Wither the Bat-nipples? Why....why, why, why, why, why?

A schmuck. A blind, stupid, simple, doo-dah, clueless schmuck. Who goes by the name of Joel Schumacher.

Guest areacode212

The bat-card and the bat-rollerskates (or were they ice skates? who cares?) were probably the most ridiculous things I've ever seen in my life. They weren't even funny in a campy way. The day after I saw it, when I went to work, I managed to convince everyone to not see that horrible movie just by mentioning those two things.

Guest gthureson

Hey, I've been around since this board opened.   I just don't tend to post much unless I have an opinion.

And Jingus, there was *something* supernatural going on in the Crow, but it was fairly low-key.   It wasn't the out-and-out Goth mindset of the movie.

And I am still not sure whether the crow was actually talking to him or he just thought it was.