TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest franchise632

Better Luck Tomorrow

Guest franchise632

Previews looked fairly interesting. Just wondering if anyone had seen this movie and if so what the thoughts are.

Guest the pinjockey

Haven't seen it. But I have seen Better Off Dead if that helps at all.

Guest art_vandelay

I first saw the commercial for this during Velocity and it looked interesting. I wanted to check it out last week when it was open in select theatres but it ended up being too much trouble. I might go this week. The Asian from American Pie and that UPN or WB show is in it. As is the dude who made "The Quest for Length."

Guest red_file

It's well worth seeing. It's a variation of a storyline that you've probably seen before, but some of the subtle changes are nice. I was told that the ending had been changed from the festival version and the version that's been released, but I've only seen the current one, so I can't really say which as better.

The only thing that kept going through my head was to wonder why it was considered a controversial movie.

Guest Nevermortal
What's the premise of the movie?

Basically, its the story of a bunch of Orange County Asian High School Kids who use their good grades as a front to their outside of school illegal activities.

Guest art_vandelay
bECAUSE it had Asians in non-stereotyped roles...

Oh yeah, all Asians get good grades. Not stereotyped at all. Every lead character in the movie, protagonist or antagonist, muscle-bound or skinny, is either the valedictorian, president of the math club, or head of the debate team. It's a good change from Martial Arts, but it's still heavily stereotyped.

The only thing that kept going through my head was to wonder why it was considered a controversial movie.

I hear most of the controversy came from the violence.

Guest shlidgn90

i watched better luck tomorrow and if you take out the all asian cast the movie would not have even been released. the storyline changes way too drastically at multiple times. it seems like you are watching three different movies. as a positive though the acting was top notch.

Basically, its the story of a bunch of Orange County Asian High School Kids who use their good grades as a front to their outside of school illegal activities.

I've seen the movie and I've had asian friends, who've acted almost just like that and I must say it's pretty realistic for what it is.