TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

Eliminate the Post Counts??

Should we get rid of the Post Counts?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get rid of the Post Counts?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

Let's face it. There has been a lot of post whoring over the years and Bruiser Chong really did make a good point in Site Feedback. So many people put so much stock into it that there are "Mission to 1000" threads and crap like that that don't do anything but take up space. People complain about the lack of intelligence that has been harboring on the board lately. Well, this may help change it, this may not.

This board can be manipulated where post counts only increase in certain forums as well.

People used to use post counts just to raise their member title, but these days, everyone uses custom titles anyway.

Either way, it's up to you.

Dames

Guest Youth N Asia

I don't use custom titles...I'm actually the last person interested in seeing where it goes. Just put a ban on "mission to" threads if they're a problem.

I like my number, and I do little to no whoring

Guest bob_barron

I voted no.

1)I'm almost at 10000 and I enjoy looking at my post count after each post. It doesn't cause me to post whore or anything.

Just delete the threads or posts that you deem to not be intelligent Dames. Don't make the whole board suffer because of a few bad apples

Guest Bruiser Chong

Of course I voted "yes," for the reasons I've already mentioned and because the whole need for post counts wore off for me when I started posting regularly at SNKT and got used to not even seeing them.

How long's this running until anway, Dames?

1)I'm almost at 10000 and I enjoy looking at my post count after each post. It doesn't cause me to post whore or anything.

Well, that's great and everything, but I assure you that you're in the minority when it comes to that. I always thought that once you broke 1000, caring about post counts seemed kinda dumb (even moreso than before), and once you break 10,000, it really becomes pointless to care. Maybe some people believe that a higher post count makes them a better poster, but I think that notion's just absurd. Just my two cents.

Guest bob_barron
and once you break 10,000, it really becomes pointless to care. Maybe some people believe that a higher post count makes them a better poster, but I think that notion's just absurd. Just my two cents.

I understand what you're saying Bruiser and do not think that more posts=better poster.

I'm so used to making a post and going: Oh wow- I have 99xx posts.

Name, Bloody Regal, custom title, and post count. I just dont want to see that be changed

Guest Bruiser Chong

Nothing wrong with a little change every now and again and I'm just a little curious to see how posting tendancies would change if post counts were eliminated, even for a short period of time.

Just delete the threads or posts that you deem to not be intelligent Dames. Don't make the whole board suffer because of a few bad apples

Do you really think the board would be "suffering" without the post counts? Even I admit that I've enjoyed my slow trek up the ranks but the number is trivial.

As for deleting unintelligent posts....that would be opening up a can of worms that could eventually kill the damn board if you think about it. Every thread would have to be dissected and examined for "intelligence" and even if that were possible, the whole question of what is an intelligent post comes into question.

Dames

Guest bob_barron

I know I wouldn't enjoy the board as much and I'm sure there are other people (2 others at least) who don't see what the big problem with post counts is.

I haven't really noticed any post whoring recently outside of NHB. No Holds Barred has that name for a reason so I don't see a problem with post whoring threads in that folder. If it started clogging into other folders then I could understand the problem.

But if it ain't broke- don't fix it. Eliminating post counts accomplishes absolutely nothing

Guest DrTom

I say get rid of them. Quality should always be stressed over quantity, and the more people think about the latter, the less regard they have for the former. I've never given a shit about my post count or anyone else's, and if removing post counts eliminates the one-word posts and the "+1" nonsense, then I'm all for it.

Guest Youth N Asia

I think post counts are cool. I know it's dumb, but that's how I think. Just trust people with their own stuff but let everyone know what's up.

Guest DrTom
Plus it's easier to tell newbies apart.

I'm not trying to pick on you here, YNA, but why is that important? Does it matter how long someone has been a member of the board, as long as they contribute something with their posts? If you're so concerned about telling newbies apart from everyone else, member numbers and registration dates should do the trick. But stigmas like "newbie" and cliques based on the perception of post counts are things that should really be discouraged.

Guest bob_barron

To me it seems like the problem (All the +1 and one word posts) is in No Holds Barred which is where crap like +1 and ;) belong.

Until it starts cluttering up other folders- I fail to see the problem

Guest bob_barron
I think post counts are cool. I know it's dumb, but that's how I think. Just trust people with their own stuff but let everyone know what's up.

Same here. I know it's lame but I enjoy seeing how many posts people have and seeing how many I have.

Guest DrTom

Why should NHB be the home for rot like that. It doesn't "belong" in any folder, Bob. That's the point: if people aren't trying to jack up their post counts and appear more important to a group of strangers on the internet, then emoticon-only posts and "+1" should just about disappear.

Guest Youth N Asia
Plus it's easier to tell newbies apart.

I'm not trying to pick on you here, YNA, but why is that important? Does it matter how long someone has been a member of the board, as long as they contribute something with their posts? If you're so concerned about telling newbies apart from everyone else, member numbers and registration dates should do the trick. But stigmas like "newbie" and cliques based on the perception of post counts are things that should really be discouraged.

That was actually meant as a joke, hence the smile

Guest oldschoolwrestling

Don't get rid of it until McDonald's stops counting how many burgers have been sold.

Guest Youth N Asia

Word association thread is a spawning ground for postwhore antics as well. I mean that's just run its course, I've been sick of seeing that at the top of the page for a while.

Guest bob_barron

Because it's NHB- The folder where all the mindless clutter goes so as not to clog up the board.

It seems like Flyboy is the only one who +1 and Snuffbox is the only one who ;). It bugs the hell out of me as well but I don't see why everyones post count should be taken away because of it.

Another solution would be just to delete +1 and ;) posts to discourage it. I honestly don't think Flyboy and Snuffbox are trying to up their post counts. It's a running gag by Flyboy and Snuffbox seems to have a huge hard on for that emoticon

Guest El Satanico

I'd rather see the mods pick a random person monthly or even weekly and either put their post count to zero or a negative number.

Make a game out of discouraging post count contests.

Or if it's possible, put a freeze on all of them, so those with a high number don't totally lose it. And for newbies freeze them when they get 1000. However, I don't know how feasible such a thing would be.

Guest Chuck Woolery
This board can be manipulated where post counts only increase in certain forums as well.

Because it's NHB- The folder where all the mindless clutter goes so as not to clog up the board.

Then why not just make it so NHB doesn't increase post count? If you could do it for certain threads you could just freeze word association and person above you as well. That, too me, seems to be the best solution.

Of course, I give it thirty minutes before I get cut down.

Guest Youth N Asia

Then why not just make it so NHB doesn't increase post count? If you could do it for certain threads you could just freeze word association and person above you as well. That, too me, seems to be the best solution.

Of course, I give it thirty minutes before I get cut down.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, that's a flaming folder anyway.

Guest Sandman9000

If we're looking to discourging mindless posting simply to increase post counts, and we have the ability to only have certain forums increase post counts, then have it so that the forums where the most whoring occurs (NHB, General, OAOAST, etc...) do not increase one's post count. I can tell you that out of the 4K+ posts I've got, 2K are from spamming and shit over in the OAOAST. I believe that if we have a less radical solution to a problem, then we should use the less radical solution.

Guest Chuck Woolery

So maybe move the word association and person above you threads to NHB? Those are probably the two biggest whoring threads on the board, and not freezing them makes freezing NHB pretty much pointless.

Guest Youth N Asia
So maybe move the word association and person above you threads to NHB? Those are probably the two biggest whoring threads on the board, and not freezing them makes freezing NHB pretty much pointless.

I'm liking this.

People can still bitch at one another, but their +1 crap won't mean anything

Guest Ace309

I'm sure I don't care.

As far as I'm concerned, my post count doesn't matter, but I don't see any reason to remove them, so, uh, I don't care. :)

Why does everyone feel that the NHB folder is where all the "shit" is supposed to go? It's a flaming folder. Just because people haven't used it properly doesn't mean that we should just dump everything in there.

Dames

Guest Spaceman Spiff

Don't care. Every now & then I'll look at my count and say, "Hey, wow, xxxx posts. Umm, I need to get a life."

But it wouldn't bother me either way if they stay or go.