TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

Eliminate the Post Counts??

Should we get rid of the Post Counts?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get rid of the Post Counts?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

Guest Retro Rob

Honestly, does anyone really give a fuck about the post counts? If you leave them there they aren't hurting anybody. I think that even if you do take them down, people will still be idiots and continue to post whore. No matter what is done, mindless posting will not be stopped, so I say leave everything as is. This place really isn't half bad, so there is no need to fix something that truly is not broken.

Guest Eagan469

well, obviously all the newbs are going to vote "yes" so they don't have to work their way up to respectability

I voted "no"

Guest Youth N Asia

I think the majority of the people like numbers. 50 in favor of keeping and 37 not.

Guest HungryJack
well, obviously all the newbs are going to vote "yes" so they don't have to work their way up to respectability

I think comments like that make it plainly obvious post counts should be done away with.

Guest Retro Rob

I think comments like that make it plainly obvious post counts should be done away with.

I don't get what the big deal is.

Who gives a shit if someone chooses to post one sentence, that you may think is worthless?

Guest Chuck Woolery

I believe he's pointing out that a newb shouldn't have to feel that they need to post more to gain respectibility.

Guest hardyz1

Just wait until I get to 1000, then do whatever you want.

It only took me 15 months to get this many posts.

Guest Eagan469

HungryJack - you've been here forever, you're not a newb :)

Guest HungryJack
:firing:  whoever brought this up in the first place

YES.... We must silence all those who question the way things are!!!

Fuck's sakes man, God forbid somone actually voice an opinion different from the glut on this board.

And no, I'm not a newb, but as someone so astutely pointed out a few posts up, why should someone who is new here, who may have lurked prior to posting or whatever, be made to feel like a lesser member of the board simply because they're new.

That type of sentiment is sure to discourage potential new members.

Guest The Flying Dutchman
WDI was in the back of my head when I made that post, but it wasn't the main reason I asked.

Just a joke.

Anyways, I'll toss in my own (unsolicited) two cents here. WDI still has post counts and no one over there really makes anything of them. They're brought up jokingly if at all and yet what some would call post whoring (and I call good natured bullshitting) occurs on a regular basis. So there's a case there that the removal of the post count might not actually cause people to post whore less anyway. Then again, WDI's generally considered a different sort of beast entirely ... just a thought.

Guest Bruiser Chong
Just wait until I get to 1000, then do whatever you want.

It only took me 15 months to get this many posts.

Jeez, c'mon, it's just a number, mang. Here I'll save you the trouble, "1000." There, that's what it looks like. I'm not even gonna bother because it's not the end of the world for me if you keep the post counts. Post counts= respect here and make people feel good about themselves which just says something about their personal lives. It's just a number, but whatever, I said what I felt was a good suggestion and I guess it was stupid as NO ONE should EVER challenge things in any capacity or add feedback on possible ways to improve the board. If that's the attitude that prevails here, then why not just 86 this folder? No point if people get their panties in a knot when someone suggests something different.

One last thing--I don't have a problem with you Eagan, but that's just a fuckin' ignorant post right there. If that's the best you have to add here, then don't bother to even post.

Guest Bruiser Chong

You seem to be missing the point. First of all, if it means something to them fine, it's pretty ridulous to put so much stock in a number but if that's what floats your boat then fine. I just thought that perhaps if post counts weren't around, people wouldn't worry so much about posting just to up their post count and actually put out some worthwhile stuff. Why do so many people seem to be missing that? I'm just suggesting it because of my curiosity as to what could come of it. Nothing more, nothing less. I know people don't want change around here, but it was just an idea.

I'll tell you--I used to be quite concerned about that little number by my name (in the days of the old Smarks board and in my early days at WDI), but once I began posting mainly at SNKT, where there were no post counts, I found myself only posting when I had something to say, and not when I just felt like boosting the old post count. I never thought I wouldn't care about the post count, but then I adapted to not seeing a number by my name and watched my posting habits change a bit.

Perhaps some of you see what I'm getting at, perhaps some of you don't. I've said just about all I can say about my intentions for this idea, so until something new arises, I'm done.

Guest Kotzenjunge

You know, if we still have our joining dates, wouldn't it be obvious if they were new to the board anyway?

Guest HungryJack

So you'd think, but people seem to think quantity = quality here, and the more someone says, the more they HAVE to know, thus we ought to pay more heed to their posts and respect them more. Which in my mind, is bunk, but whatever.

I'm only...*counts on fingers.....

.....*carry the 2*....

...*denominator*....

1 man.

I say do away with post counts, because it gets rid of those moronic post-party threads when people get to "x" number of posts.

ProWrestling.com the place I originally came from, was full of stuff like this, people making moronic threads about their post counts and acting like it was really a big deal and it got old and tiresome really fast.

I agree with everyone else who has said it, if you have to keep the post-counts, keep them in people's profiles or whatever.

Just my two cents.

Guest Jobber of the Week

Again' I'd just like to mention that I've never posted once "just to see my post count go up."

I've double posted here and there and occasionally made a rant in Current Events that I didn't think was appropriate and replaced with a "deleted n/m" or "Burp." but I didn't do that to boost my count.

And yet I have a fairly okay count compared to the rest of the regulars here. I don't think TOO many people are really a problem to warrant this kind of action.

Yes, I /DO/ use my post count as sort of a mind aphrodisiac, but is that such a crime? Heck, I remember when one of my favorite message boards renamed the post count option to read something like "Penis Length: 1359 inches." People thought it was a hoot the month it stayed like that.

I don't see how it hurts to keep them around, and they obviously kind of make people sorta kinda feel good about having some level of seniority of sorts.

As long as nobody is saying "SHUT UP NOOB. MY POST COUNT IZ A HOSS U R NO SOLD" or "You can talk all you want but my post count ain't listenin!" I don't think it's a big deal really.

And even if you got rid of them, wouldn't the extremely long and unintelligent threads continue? Instead of Mission to 7000, it'd be Mission to Page 254 or something.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

Here's my insta-opinion.

Plus: Like Bob, I kinda like seeing how I have progressed in regards to post counts. I know it's dumb, but I don't have much going in my life.

Minus: Post whores, etc.

Conclusion: If Dames (I believe you are paying the bills here) feels like he's wasting $ on excessive bandwith due to stupid "Mission to XXX" threads, then abort the post count -- I wouldn't blame you. Otherwise, keep it...

Guest hardyz1
Jeez, c'mon, it's just a number, mang. Here I'll save you the trouble, "1000." There, that's what it looks like. I'm not even gonna bother because it's not the end of the world for me if you keep the post counts. Post counts= respect here and make people feel good about themselves which just says something about their personal lives.

My post count doesn't make me "feel good." I don't want to get "respect" on a message board. If I really cared about that, don't you think I would have more posts than I do?

Post counts aren't important to me. It's just a fun little feature of the boards, and it would be neat to get to 1000.

Just for you...

+1

Guest tank_abbott

Put Bob Barron back to zero, just cause he cares so much, then he can enjoy the climb back up the ranks

Guest Jubuki

For once, I actually agree with Damian. All the points he (and Chong) made are dead-on. And the people who get up in arms about not having post counts anymore are the immature types this place can do without, so if they want to leave, let them.

"If (Jim) Brambilla is still reading this board, it's too popular for my liking" - Frank Jewett, regarding his own tOA boards

I'm surprised more people don't take that sort of stance. Save yourselves some money, lose the bozos who don't like it and let their bandwidth-sucking go with them, and get rid of the counts.

Guest EQ

OK. Even though I also hate the threads where people are announcing their new milestone post count, or they say that they are on a mission to reach a certain number, I still want the post counts to stay (even if they can only be viewed via your profile/control panel or something). Like I said before, I get curious as to what my post count is sometimes. Not that it means much to me, but it's just one of those random things that it would be cool to be able to know if I felt looking it up.

Here's an idea though. How about we make a new policy for the board (and make it very public, i.e. put it right at the top where the new articles/info is posted). Anyone who starts a thread saying that they just got to whatever number, or that they are on a mission to reach a certain number, their thread is deleted, they recieve a warning about spamming the board (temp ban if they do it again, and if they feel like being an ass after that, permanent ban), and they automatically have their post count reset to 0 as a penalty.

While this won't completely cut down on post-whoring, it will at least get rid of some of the stupider threads.

Just a thought.

Edited by EQ

Guest Jobber of the Week
Anyone who starts a thread saying that they just got to whatever number, or that they are on a mission to reach a certain number, their thread is deleted, they recieve a warning about spamming the board, and they automatically have their post count reset to 0 as a penalty.

People will say "I DIDN"T KNOW!!!!"

I think we ought to have a warning the first time, and a reset the second.

Guest EQ

Yeah, but that's why we make it very public.

But yeah, what you said works too.

Delete the thread, warn the person.

If he/she does it again, temp-ban and reset count.

I didn't vote because it doesn't really effect me either way but I do like to have a post count just to see how many I've posted but I could carless what it means in terms of my stature on a freakin message board. If you need a high number of posts on a wrestling message board to somehow validate yourself then you have serious emotional problems.

Guest Retro Rob
Anyone who starts a thread saying that they just got to whatever number, or that they are on a mission to reach a certain number, their thread is deleted, they recieve a warning about spamming the board, and they automatically have their post count reset to 0 as a penalty.

People will say "I DIDN"T KNOW!!!!"

I think we ought to have a warning the first time, and a reset the second.

I think it's a good idea. All Dames has to do is mention it at the top of the forums and NO ONE has an excuse.

Guest EQ

Because then the people who do care about upping their post counts will leave it on, thus continuing to clutter the board.

Guest Eagan469

Why don't you just take it away from being viewable in everyone's posts, and leave the counts in the "Members" section for reference?

I'd be fine with that.