TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PencilJobber

101 most influential minoriety's in sport?

Guest CanadianChris

It's not an historical list, it's based on the here and now.

Looks pretty good to me.

Guest bob_barron

Why should MJ be higher then Serena?

Serena has gotten a lot of minorities and people who would never pick up a tennis racket into tennis.

MJ didnt do the same for basketball

Guest PencilJobber

you may be right on Serena but then shouldn't Yao Ming be higher because he must have got more people to start playing baseball than she has to playing Tennis with all those Asians he has got into the game.

I still think MJ should be higher than Serena but then again i'm not a fan of tennis so i can't really rate her honestly.

Guest Rob Van Dam
you may be right on Serena but then shouldn't Yao Ming be higher because he must have got more people to start playing baseball than she has to playing Tennis with all those Asians he has got into the game.

Quote of the day

Guest Choken One

Jordan hasn't been a factor these days in terms of Influence...

Serena has brought in a Audience of Young Female Minorites into Tennis...

I didn't look at the list but here is mine...

1. Tiger Woods

2. Yao Ming

3. Magic Johnson

4. Allen Iverson

5. Lebron James

I hate putting James on the list but you can't argue...he HAS been influential...

Guest Spicy McHaggis

I can see sports like golf and hockey having influential minorities, but not basketball. 90% of the players in the NBA are black.

Guest Vern Gagne

Magic Johnson should be at least Top 10. He's become a very succesful businessmen after his playing career.

Guest Still Fly

Choken One I dnt think LeBron James and Allen Iverson have been the most influential minorites in sports. ere so many other worthy candidates that can be in th Top 5. Here's my list. I ranked according to what there acomplishments in sports as well as communtiy service and theadvancemet of their race in sports.

1.Jackie Robinson

2.Magic Johnson

3.The Williams Sisters

4. Tiger Woods

5.Doug Williams

Guest Steve J. Rogers
90th overall and Jackie Robinson not on the list

It's a stupid list IMO what you guys think

Oh my fucking GAWD!

Jack Roosevelt Robinson NOT ON THE LIST?

Do I NEED to run down reasons why he should be #1?

Okay, I'll bottom line it for ya: Tell me how many other athletes get an ENTIRE season (not just one team) dedicated to the anniversary of their debut in that league? How many get to have a special ceromony in their honor 20 years after their death, in a ballpark they never played in by a team he never played for/against that includes a visit from the current US President? (Shea Stadium in NY, being the current home of NL baseball) and how many get their numbers retired in purpetuity by a league (just him and Gretzky)

I rest my case.

Just for that lets see who else I can come up with for a top ten, no particular order:

Joe Louis: The Bronx Bomber, easily for probably being the first accepted minority heavyweight champ

Jesse Owens: Took a man of color to stand up to Hitler's Germany in the Berlin Games

Jim Brown: First minority football star, still considered one of the greatest athletes ever to step onto the field...of lacrosse that is as well as that, other sport

Jack Johnson: The first minority heavyweight champ. It was he that the famed "Great White Hope" moniker for various white heavyweights through the years came from

Arthur Ashe: Historian, civil rights activist, oh and a pretty damn good tennis player

Ali: Love him or hate him, his politics, flamboyance, personality and religious beliefs as well as his in-ring dominance made him someone who was always at the center of attention

Curt Flood: Challenged baseball's reserve clause and caused the fun that all sports know as free agency today. Damn fine center fielder as well.

Hank Aaron: As time marches on Aaron may hold the HR record longer than Babe did, which is part of the legacy of his accomplishment, being a man of color breaking the most vaunted record in baseball history

Others that just missed the cut

Bill Russell: Got to give it to the greatest champion in team sports, especially doing it up in Boston

Frank Robinson: First minority manager in history

Steve

Guest El Satanico

I also have no problem with this list. Like others have said it's not meant as a historical list.

Guest Choken One

Nope...If I were to do a HISTORIC list only Tiger and Magic would be on my top ten..

My list was for 2002-2003...Wheras A.I HAS been pretty damn influential in terms of Marketability and sales. James for his Media Coverage...

Guest Choken One
90th overall and Jackie Robinson not on the list

It's a stupid list IMO what you guys think

Oh my fucking GAWD!

Jack Roosevelt Robinson NOT ON THE LIST?

Do I NEED to run down reasons why he should be #1?

Okay, I'll bottom line it for ya: Tell me how many other athletes get an ENTIRE season (not just one team) dedicated to the anniversary of their debut in that league? How many get to have a special ceromony in their honor 20 years after their death, in a ballpark they never played in by a team he never played for/against that includes a visit from the current US President? (Shea Stadium in NY, being the current home of NL baseball) and how many get their numbers retired in purpetuity by a league (just him and Gretzky)

I rest my case.

Just for that lets see who else I can come up with for a top ten, no particular order:

Joe Louis: The Bronx Bomber, easily for probably being the first accepted minority heavyweight champ

Jesse Owens: Took a man of color to stand up to Hitler's Germany in the Berlin Games

Jim Brown: First minority football star, still considered one of the greatest athletes ever to step onto the field...of lacrosse that is as well as that, other sport

Jack Johnson: The first minority heavyweight champ. It was he that the famed "Great White Hope" moniker for various white heavyweights through the years came from

Arthur Ashe: Historian, civil rights activist, oh and a pretty damn good tennis player

Ali: Love him or hate him, his politics, flamboyance, personality and religious beliefs as well as his in-ring dominance made him someone who was always at the center of attention

Curt Flood: Challenged baseball's reserve clause and caused the fun that all sports know as free agency today. Damn fine center fielder as well.

Hank Aaron: As time marches on Aaron may hold the HR record longer than Babe did, which is part of the legacy of his accomplishment, being a man of color breaking the most vaunted record in baseball history

Others that just missed the cut

Bill Russell: Got to give it to the greatest champion in team sports, especially doing it up in Boston

Frank Robinson: First minority manager in history

Steve

Umm...This wasn't a Historic List...So I don't understand why you are getting all antsy...

Guest Steve J. Rogers
Umm...This wasn't a Historic List...So I don't understand why you are getting all antsy...

I didn't realize that untill after I posted