TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boomer Sprinklespax

America's Most Wanted

I've gotten approximately the last 4 months of NWA-TNA. During that time, I've seen a lot from AMW, and they have never failed to disappoint me. Seperately, they both have a boring look, boring mic skills, boring moves, and they often blow spots/make spots look very goofy (Chris Harris especially, in my opinion). They just seem bland. As a team, they don't seem to work together all that well, they blow their moves (that corner double leg takedown thing and the springboard dropkick off the shoulders come to mind), they blow finishes (the end of Triple X/AMW, the one with the double cover that held up the titles the second time), and they just lack the intensity to make anything believable (this is more a fault of Harris, as I think James Storm shows flashes of singles potential every once in a while).

This may be a case of different strokes for different folks, but I am genuinely baffled as to why TNA fans lump them in with people who have really established themselves, i.e. The Truth, Triple X, Raven, Red, Lynn, AJ, Gilberti, etc.

So, enlighten me: why is AMW looked upon as a very good/excellent tag team, and why is it that everyone seems to like them so much?

Guest BoboBrazil

They are very bland to me too. They seem fine in the ring, but they just bore me.

Guest Galactic Gigolo

They're a tad bit overrated. Everyone likes them, though, because they were TNA's first real tag team, are made up of two guys plucked right from the indies (minus Harris' Worldwide and Russo Security days), and have surprisingly been able to get over the live crowd so much.

Both men could benefit from the developments. Storm definetly has potential since he has a nice look and crisper moveset, though Harris is iffy.

Guest Devin
they blow finishes (the end of Triple X/AMW, the one with the double cover that held up the titles the second time

Uhh, wasn't it a Disciples/Triple X match where the titles were held up?

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Yeah the titles were never held up during an AMW match.

Time 1: Lynn and Styles vs. Truth and JJ

Time 2: XXX vs. Slash and LEe.

As they say on the streets, "my bad." For some reason, I thought that was AMW. In any event, consider that gripe stricken from the record, but all my other points still stand.

Guest dreamer420

I disagee with you guys there. AMW has been the best team in the wrestling industry lately and I think it will only be a matter of time until they show up in the WWE. James Storm shows the most potential to me as he moves like cruiserweight, knows how to work a match, and sells like a champ. Storm is going to be huge one day.

Guest RedJed

I will say this much, they both are nothing special as singles.

However when they are a team they have intensity and legitimate chemistry together that you dont see often with teams these days. They have to be doing something right to get the reactions they do. Their feud with New Church really put them over with me.......they really worked hard during that feud, and put together some really great matches with them with tons of believable nearfalls.

I disagee with you guys there.  AMW has been the best team in the wrestling industry lately and I think it will only be a matter of time until they show up in the WWE.  James Storm shows the most potential to me as he moves like cruiserweight, knows how to work a match, and sells like a champ.  Storm is going to be huge one day.

I could eat my words huge on this one, but there is NO WAY Storm will ever be anything big IMO, and the only reason I think it is possible that AMW will get signed by WWE is to hurt NWA-TNA (same with The Truth). Both Storm and Harris have only slightly more charisma than Mr. Charisma himself, Jerry Lynn, and as RedJed said, the only good thing they have going for them is okay tag team work. But they still don't have the cohesive flow of a team like xXx or the Dream Team or even AJ/D'Lo. I don't see how they can be said to have great chemistry when they routinely blow the same moves over and over again. As for the reaction they get, buh, if face Saturn/Credible were put against xXx or the New Church I bet they'd get similar reactions and no one would be calling them breakout stars.

That corner double leg takedown thing, either they blow it or it just looks incredibly retarded. Also, I'm pretty sure they've blown the springboard dropkick off the shoulders before. Chris Harris never seems to be able to take a clothesline over the ropes, I've seen him fuck that up three or four times.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Well that leg whip thing is just a dumb move. But they do it exactly the same every time.

I'm sorry...but I just don't think they're nearly as sloppy as you seem to think.

I donno, I guess they just bother me. I just don't see any of this alleged flow and chemistry that fans of theirs seem to think they have.

I have no problem with people being marks for different wrestlers. Hell, as my name reflects, I am a Raven mark, and I'll be a Raven mark no matter what he is doing. I just don't think it's cool that AMW is lumped in with other breakout stars when they seemingly haven't done much to prove themselves. Truth? He ignited the fans with his charisma and developed a great character, becoming the first black NWA World Champion in the process. Gilberti? He reinvented himself after years of mediocrity and had some really good brawls with AJ Styles. AJ? He was the first cruiserweight competitor in what seems like forever that gave a World Champion a believable threat.

What have AMW done that is so great? No one acknowledges that they are the best tag team in NWA-TNA because they aren't, and while they may have had good matches and a good feud or two, they haven't done anything to merit such support. Going back to an earlier argument, Saturn and Mike Barton had a damned good brawl utilizing sound psychology and accomplished much more than what anyone thought they could. Is Saturn a breakout star? Hells no he isn't, and he shouldn't be considered one either.

But like I said previously, different strokes for different folks, we'll probably just have to agree to disagree.

Guest RedJed

They're breakout stars because they were virtual no-names until they came into TNA and were paired together, and then had a VERY solid feud with New Church. There was someting about that feud that wasn't even comprable to the matches AMW or anyone have even had with XXX. Each one were consistently solid enough that the feud never lost much steam at all. They totally proved to me in that feud that they could go (as well as New Church).

I'm missing the sloppiness also from them............and regarding chemistry and charisma, again watch the tapes and see how f'n over they are with the fans. They do hold some charsima if you ask me, as a team though only. As I've stated as well, their intensity in some of their matches have been pretty impressive. I'm not saying they are the best thing since sliced bread, but I think credit needs to be given where due, thats all.

They're breakout stars because they were virtual no-names until they came into TNA and were paired together, and then had a VERY solid feud with New Church. There was someting about that feud that wasn't even comprable to the matches AMW or anyone have even had with XXX. Each one were consistently solid enough that the feud never lost much steam at all. They totally proved to me in that feud that they could go (as well as New Church).

I'm missing the sloppiness also from them............and regarding chemistry and charisma, again watch the tapes and see how f'n over they are with the fans. They do hold some charsima if you ask me, as a team though only. As I've stated as well, their intensity in some of their matches have been pretty impressive. I'm not saying they are the best thing since sliced bread, but I think credit needs to be given where due, thats all.

As far as their sloppiness, they just don't often seem to hit their signatures crisply.

As far as their overness with the fans, I don't really think that's a valid argument. Example: Sandman may be very over with the fans, but he still sucks ass (before anyone says it, I realize AMW don't suck as bad as Sandman, I'm just illustrating a point here). I really think a lot of their overness has to do with their gimmick. They're basically just cowboys with hearts of gold, of course that will go over in frickin' Nashville. If TNA ever goes on the road and gets somewhere away from the South, we shall see if they retain the same amount of overness.

But in all fairness, I never really saw too much of their work with the New Church, so my indifference towards AMW may be due to the fact that I didn't see the feud that many consider to be star-making. I kinda doubt this, however, because I am equally indifferent towards the New Church (though Father James Mitchell rules). A question: if the AMW/New Church feud was so good, why isn't the New Church as respected as AMW? From what I have seen, the New Church works a similar style (well, Slash does anyways), has similar amounts of chemistry, has MORE charisma, and were just as over if not more over with the fans when they were faces.

Guest Burning Hammer

The New Church is pretty well respected. The problem is for most people right now they are wrestling a hardcore style which a lot of smarks are tired of especially here. I find their hardcore brawls to be pretty good for that type of match. Plus replacing Crowbar with Killdozer Brian Lee has not been for the better as far as workrate goes. Crowbar/Slash was a far better team as far as normal tag team matches go. Check out week 4 I believe when they wrestled Styles/Lynn I believe although I could be wrong about that.

As far as their overness with the fans, I don't really think that's a valid argument. Example: Sandman may be very over with the fans, but he still sucks ass (before anyone says it, I realize AMW don't suck as bad as Sandman, I'm just illustrating a point here). I really think a lot of their overness has to do with their gimmick. They're basically just cowboys with hearts of gold, of course that will go over in frickin' Nashville. If TNA ever goes on the road and gets somewhere away from the South, we shall see if they retain the same amount of overness.

Eh. They haven't been 'cowboys with hearts of gold' since around the time they lost the belts to the New Church, and even then it was only James Storm.

Oh, and does anyone else miss the old AMW music?