TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Youth N Asia

Who should get the next MTV Icons show?

Guest El Satanico

Run DMC, Beastie Boys, LL Cool J or Public Enemy.

They are the biggest MTV rap Icons.

Please no Rap ICON. MTV sucks Rap's dick enough as it is. I swear for a hardcore anti-rapper like me MTV is the WORST station since every one of there shows seems to revolve around rap and all that "homey g-dig-funk yo yo holla holla" BS.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

They should get Ozzy's out of the way before he croaks.

Guest Choken One

but that means We have hear Kelly croon and ruin "Crazy Train" or something...

I don't think Public Enemy videos got much airplay during their heyday. I'm sure "Fight The Power" got massive rotation, but I don't think the rest of their videos got heavy rotation because they were so "controversial"(they weren't). Their last video got banned from MTV last year for having the phrase "Free Mumia" in the song and video.

Besides, I don't think today's MTV/hip-hop loving audience even know who Public Enemy is. When MTV held that 22 Greatest MC's countdown, where the fans voted who would be placed where, Chuck D. was Number 22 (the last one) which means either today's MTV audience doesn't know who he is, or don't think he's a good rapper. It's most likely my first choice.

And Chuck D. wrote on the offical Public Enemy website that PE now refuses to appear on MTV because of the way he saids "They turned black faces into blackfaces", that is degrading black people.

As much as I would like to see PE get some respect on MTV, it won't happen. They're considered "too controversial" for having political messages in their video. (And yet 50 Suck, whose whole gimmick is that he is a real life gangster who got shot 9 times gets non-stop airplay. Stupid MTV) If they are going to do the rap MTV Icon it's defintley going to be Run-DMC because they were the first rappers to appear on MTV and have had more of an impact on pop-culture in general.

Edited by Michael Joel Benoit

The problem with a rap icon is going to be in the performances. Someone like Dr. Dre or the Beasties in particular--most of their great stuff is based on their own personal deliveries, and in a lot of cases there's not live instrumentation to cover either. So what are you going to do? Have Nelly and 50-Cent come out and blah through with their lousy live delivery?

Unless you got some legit inventive rappers and musicians--the likes of the Roots and Mos Def, for example--to come out there and do the stuff in their own style, it'd be kinda poor.

Guest El Satanico
The problem with a rap icon is going to be in the performances. Someone like Dr. Dre or the Beasties in particular--most of their great stuff is based on their own personal deliveries, and in a lot of cases there's not live instrumentation to cover either. So what are you going to do? Have Nelly and 50-Cent come out and blah through with their lousy live delivery?

Unless you got some legit inventive rappers and musicians--the likes of the Roots and Mos Def, for example--to come out there and do the stuff in their own style, it'd be kinda poor.

Of course it would be best if they got guys with talent to do the show. However, this is MTV we're talking about, It's not like they are concerned about the performances at the Icon shows.

Guest El Satanico

As much as I would like to see PE get some respect on MTV, it won't happen. They're considered "too controversial" for having political messages in their video.

Yeah I know there's no chance that PE would get an Icon show. I was just throwing out rap acts that deserve to get a MTV Icon show.