TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chunk

WWE - Tour De Force

I went to the London leg of the WWE tour De force last night.

Bareing in mind that it is a Smackdown show, this is what we were 'treated' to:

Matt Hardy Vs Rey Mysterio Vs Jamie Noble

Winner: Matt Hardy

Rhyno Vs A-Train

Winner: Rhyno

Brian Kendrick Vs Sean O'Haire

Winner: O'Haire

Torrie Wilson Vs Nidia (Special ring announcer: Sable)

Winner: Torrie

Brock Lesnar Vs The Big Show

Winner: Lesnar

Interval

Team Angle Vs Los Guerreros

Winnners: Team Angle (Guerreros ran off with the titles after a beat down)

Chris Benoit Vs John Cena

Winner: Cena

Rikishi/Tajiri Vs Chuck Palumbo/Johnny Stamboli

Winners: Rikishi/Tajiri

The show was a bit of a let down to be honest. I thought the UK was their strongest market, well it won't be if they continue to put on shows like this.

There was no set what so ever, with only a small metal arch way that the wrestler entered/exited through.

The show started quite well with Rey getting a big pop, and the opening three way wasnt that bad at all.

It went down hill from here though. Sean O'haire phoned it in, and used rest hold after rest hold until he completely killed of the crowd. I don't think the crowd every full recovered from this. Kendrick was introduced as Brian "Spanky" Kendrick, which is a good sign though.

In Sean's defence, he wasnt the only one, the rest holds and lack of effort continued from here on.

The rest of the first half was all pretty so so with no one really looking like they could be bothered to put the effort in. There was a big pop for the divas, and their match wasnt too bad.

They then had Lesnar/Show before the interval. I just couldn't understand this at all? Why wasn't this the main event? It ended with the F5 on Show.

Team Angle/Guerreros wasnt bad, with a lot of stuff borrowed from their Backlash encounter. It dragged a bit though, and must of got 15-20 minutes.

Benoit/Cena wasn't bad, but again suffered from a lack of effort. Cena got a good reaction and did a pretty funny heel rap at England and English customs (cricket, muffins) etc.

Then came the worst main event you are ever likely to see. It ended with a Bonsai drop from 'Kish. Team Angle ran in and did a beat down, before Guerreros, Rey and Torrie made the save. We then had the dance sequence with all of the faces (including Rikishi/Tajiri)

The only reason I can think Lesnar/Show wasn't the main event, was so that they could have the dance sequence to end the show. Why the hell they did this I will bever know, it didn't get much of a reaction at all.

With business down, you would think that Vince would want to capitalise on his strong foreign markets. Well this show wasn't the way to go about doing that.

I would go again for the chance to see Benoit, Cena, Spanky, Lesnar, Guerreros etc live, but in the wrestling department it was a pretty poor showing.

ChUnK!

Guest Mattdotcom

Hey, WWE. Remember what happened last time you had Big Show challenging Brock for the title on the house show circuit? He ijured your number one guy's ribs and you had to put the title on him. But go ahead. Do it again. Ratings and buyrates aren't that bad, are they? Let your new big star get injured again and let the Big Show beat him again and let the Big Show draw as champion. Why, he'll have to hold it for TWO months this time, since SmackDown won't be back on PPV until July. Maybe Mr. America can beat him for the title! And you can suspend Brock!

Just as an aisde, the tickets cost between £30 and £60.

Thats $48 - $80

I stick by the fact that it was worth going to see certain worker live, but as for the quality of show and value for money. Well, make up your own mind.

ChUnK!

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

I do not mean to be sarcastic...but it was a house show.

In addition, these rest holds are all about slowing down the product. Yeah, you may not like it but there is a process of trying to re-educate the fans and certainly setting expectations. Besides, the next time you see a strong-style Benoit-Angle match, it will mean more given the 'format' of wrestling.

I am not justifying the show - it sounds poor for the money paid - but lets bare in mind the fact that it was a house show, the guys are on a brutal schedule, and they are consciously changing the in-ring style.

I went and i reall enjoyed it, its not like it was the first time i've been to an event before as i went to WM X8 as well, it was great for what it was. You expect to much and thats the problem. None of the matchs we're awful, the crowd was into nearly all the show, and it was just as good as any normal SD show minus the backstage stuff and long in ring promos.

Guest JHawk
In addition, these rest holds are all about slowing down the product. Yeah, you may not like it but there is a process of trying to re-educate the fans and certainly setting expectations. Besides, the next time you see a strong-style Benoit-Angle match, it will mean more given the 'format' of wrestling.

Now they need to have people do things to make the restholds mean something. The "accidental" near fall because the guy in the headlock forgets his shoulders are on the mat. Rolling the guy over to try to pin him, possibly with a handful of tights. You know, the little things that they never do anymore.

Im not saying it wasnt worth going to. I would go again in a shot, and im glad I can say that Ive seen guys like Benoit, Rey etc live and in person.

I just feel that the show let me a down a bit. I appreciate all the points made about the schedule and it being a house show, its just people pay money to the WWE, and when they dont put the effort in you feel a little bit cheated.

The UK is a big market for the WWE now, but they continue to treat us like 2nd class fans. When was the last time a meaningful title change happened on English soil? When was the last time a WWE event occured in the UK that you could put up their against the US ppv's?

I also feel the show was badly booked. There were a few good macthes, but why they had Lesnar/Show before the interval, and then the tag match as a main event, I will never know.

ChUnK!

Guest RavishingRickRudo

I don't see why they should tone it down for house shows. House Shows are an integral part of the WWE's revenue, they should be giving an extra amount of effort to get those people to come back and bring their friends to see something they don't see on TV. That's just smart business. They should be trying to exceed fans' expectations.

And they wonder why their house show business is doing horribly...

As for rest holds and slow matches - it's possible to have a slower pace and not use a single rest hold. Just make individual moves mean more. There are way too many throw-away moves in the WWE. When I watch Quinton Jackson slam someone, it makes me stand up and say 'OH SHIT!' - but it's a move done every day in regular pro wrestling. The difference is that the slam legitimately can fuck the opponent up.

Guest godthedog

personally, i'd rather see a rest hold than the stock WWF stalling (i.e., choking and weak brawling). the key is to just not treat it like a rest hold: don't just sit there, act like you're trying to get out of it. it may take a little longer for the guys to get their wind back (since they're doing more work), but it's far more entertaining.

i'm also surprised that nobody works the pinfall. something like that would be GOLDEN for jericho's character. does ric flair have a patent on it or something?

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Slower Pace doesn't mean choking/brawling. It just means each move isn't treated like a body slam but rather each move has meaning. As long as it's constant and established, within 5 minutes the fans should come around and adapt to it.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

LOL!

Shit, I used to like O'haire too... He was good, for an incredibly green jacked up power planter...

Sean O'haire phoned it in,

You can tell?

Im a few weeks behind on WWE shows. Im half way through BackLash at the moment, so all ive really seen of O'haire was his awesome build up to debut, and then a few segments with Piper.

I was dissapointed, because the video promos were excellent, and IMO he has that "Super star look" if you know what I mean.

Guest humanoid92

Sounds like Lesnar/Show was the main event. Just not the final match.

Guest Anglesault

You can tell?

Im a few weeks behind on WWE shows. Im half way through BackLash at the moment, so all ive really seen of O'haire was his awesome build up to debut, and then a few segments with Piper.

I was dissapointed, because the video promos were excellent, and IMO he has that "Super star look" if you know what I mean.

Everything goes to hell in a handbasket after the vignettes.

You can tell?

cough - nathan jones - cough

lol :)

Guest Anglesault

You can tell?

cough - nathan jones - cough

lol :)

Well Not THAT bad.