TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nanks

Tenay's Q & A column

Guest Nanks

Do you think that TNA should bring back the NWA United States Heavyweight Championship?

ANSWER: No. I believe that less is more when it comes to championship belts. The three titles that we currently recognize (NWA Worlds, NWA Worlds Tag and NWA TNA X Division) allow us to put the proper emphasis on each championship. When you add titles you run the risk of diluting the importance of your existing belts.

When will TNA have tapes available on the website?

ANSWER: Throughout the month of May, DirecTv will be airing Genesis (a special two hour retrospective of our first 40 shows). I've been told that we soon will offer Genesis as our initial video and DVD release. Many of our new fans will now be able to witness the greatest moments in NWA/TNA history for the first time while longtime fans will have the opportunity to relive their favorite matches and special appearances.

Will the X Division ever be as good as the Cruiserweight Division was for WCW in 1996-2001?

ANSWER: The first few years of the WCW Cruiserweight Division (with incredible talent like Malenko, Misterio, Dragon, Jericho, Guerrero, Guerrera, Kidman, Psicosis, etc.) was a ground-breaking and very memorable era. The final few years (with "Sports Entertainers" like Oklahoma and Daffney as "champions") were highly forgettable. The thing that seperates the NWA/TNA X Division from the WCW Cruiserweights is the importance that we've placed on the division. On several occasions the X Title match has been featured as the PPV Main Event. I also think that the X Division competitors have, in many instances, taken the high risk moves to another level.

Didn't Low-Ki perform in WWF for a while? I say he did, my mate says he didn't.

ANSWER: Looks like your mate is buying the ales on this one. Among others, Low-Ki has worked with Crash Holly, Essa Rios, Raven and Christian in WWF rings.

Where has Shane Douglas been?

ANSWER: Recently he's been wrestling, and been involved behind the scenes, for the XWF promotion. I believe he's being billed for the WWA's tour of Australia and New Zealand later this month.

What ever happened to my all-time favorite Tex McKenzie, who wrestled in Australia in the late 60s and early 70s?

ANSWER: Hugh (Tex) McKenzie passed away in May, 2001. McKenzie, who wrestled from the early 1950s until the late 1970s, built homes in the state of Washington after his in-ring career ended.

Any chance we'll get to see Kevin Northcutt on either Xplosion or TNA soon?

ANSWER: Northcutt recently wrestled Sonny Siaki on Xplosion.

Who trained Amazing Red and what promotions and countries has he wrestled in?

ANSWER: Red was trained by former ECW Champion Mikey Whipwreck. In addition to NWA/TNA he's appeared for many independent groups in the U.S. Later this month he returns to All Japan for another tour of the Orient.

What ever happened to The Mountie?

ANSWER: Jacques Rougeau is promoting shows in Canada.

What happened to Big Vito?

ANSWER: Vito is competing for the WJ group in Japan.

Is Rikishi and The Tonga Kid (of The Islanders Team) the same person?

ANSWER: No, but they are brothers.

We'll close this week's column with several comments from our readers:

I've been watching the NWA for years and the TNA brand has great shows. Not many times in my life have I watched wrestling that gets you on the edge of your seat. The match between Raven and Jarrett was great. I'm 32 years old and haven't gotten "into" a match like that since Steamboat vs. Flair.

Thank you for the great shows. How cool would a Red vs. Dragon Kid feud be.

TNA has given fans a refreshing alternative to WWE. My perception since watching from day one is that TNA is new, hip and definitely an extreme show.

My dream is to see New Japan or All Japan do a talent exchange with NWA/TNA.

Please understand that due to the large volume of e-mail, we can't answer everyone personally.

Mike Tenay

I notice he decided not to go with the tons and tons of flaming hate mail they would've got over the Jarret v Raven match in the readers' comments section in favour of some markish drooling from some fan. Probably a good idea. How many of the "readers" comments look like Tenay's just made them up though!!

Guest Galactic Gigolo

Double post.

And to make this message relevant, Tenay is hot.

Guest Slapnuts00
LMAO at Tenay for XWF instead of XPW. :lol:

MIKE TENAY MADE A MISTAKE!?! :huh: