TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Yeah, but I mean he was annoying to the point that I'd sometimes change the channel, even as a 10 year old mark.

I can see that. I felt the same way a lot of the time. He was better than Paul Bearer on The Funeral Parlor, though.

Two questions:

What was the affiliation between Harley Race and Big Van Vader during WCW. I know Race was Vader's manager, but no idea how this happened.

Who was HBK manager at In Your House: Mindgames vs Mankind.

Don't know about Vader & Race, but HBK's manager was his mentor, Jose Lothario, who was ringside with him for just about everything between WM XII and Survivor Series 96.

That's probably right - they wanted him to have a manager but they didn't have something else in place right away. Or maybe they thought Brother Love would work but found out that it wasn't the right combo and then hired Pringle.

I read something once that basically said Paul got the gig, when he mentioned to vince that he used to be a mortician or worked in a funeral home legit.

What was the affiliation between Harley Race and Big Van Vader during WCW. I know Race was Vader's manager, but no idea how this happened.

I don't exactly remember, but I think Race went over to Vader right after Lex Luger jumped to the WWF. Since Vader was Sting's next challenger, it seemed logical that Race would go manage him.

Race was a pretty good manager for Vader, too. Not that Vader needed the help, but Race was one of the few managers who you could actually buy kicking the babyface's ass outside the ring while Vader took a breather and distracted the ref.

So my question is... why did he drop the gay leather outfit?

I think you just answered your own question.

I know this has probably been discussed, but has a winner or major person in a Royal Rumble match or even a regular battle royal, ever been eliminated before they were supposed to be?

Wasn't this essentially what happened 2 years ago with Cena and Batista accidentally going over the top and screwing up the planned finish of the match?

I don't remember hearing that. My recollection was that the restart was supposed last for a few minutes, but they were running so long on time that Batista just desrtoyed Cena and threw him out after about 30 seconds.

I also recall the story going around that there was problems with the ending, but most reports I heard were of the "it only went 30 seconds" variety. I later read in a book (World Wrestling Insanity, I think, and I assume the author whose name I am forgetting was reading some sort of newsletter) that the double elimination was not supposed to happen, which is why Vince stormed out there in a huff and tore his quads.

Meltzer recaped past Rumbles in this weeks Observer and said that Batista screwed up in 2005, lost his balance, and fell out when he wasn't supposed to. So spman had it right.

When/why did the Killer Bees stop wearing masks? I could swear they had masks on (to do the switch, a la the Bashams) at The Big Event in 1986, but I'm re-watching Wrestlemania 3 right now and neither of them have masks on.

I suppose the more appropriate question could be when/why did they start wearing masks....

When/why did the Killer Bees stop wearing masks? I could swear they had masks on (to do the switch, a la the Bashams) at The Big Event in 1986, but I'm re-watching Wrestlemania 3 right now and neither of them have masks on.

I suppose the more appropriate question could be when/why did they start wearing masks....

They didn't do the mask switch every match but they continued to do it into 1988 when they then became glorified enhancement talent. Not sure when they started the mask switch gimmick though.

They were doing the mask switch when I started watching in early 1986.

They would never wear the masks to start the match, but they would put the masks on during the match to do the switch. I still find it odd that a face team had that gimmick, since it's more of a heel thing to do. I remember it drove Jesse nuts on commentary.

I believe so. I know it was his first clean job, and I don't remember any others in his appearances since then.

It was not his only clean job in the promotion. It wasn't even his first. He was pinned cleanly by Snuka a few times in their feud in the 80's (I have at least two on tape) and he was pinned cleanly by Mr. Perfect several times in late 1990/early 1991. In later years I believe he was pinned cleanly by Mr. America at Judgment Day 2003, too.

Piper to this day says that was his first pinfall loss in ... 15 years or something. He had a number of others during that WWF run, some were clean, some weren't.

- Rick Rude

- Adrian Adonis

- Mr. Perfect

- Jimmy Snuka

- Ric Flair

To name a few.

Here's one that's been bugging me:

We've all heard of the infamous tag match where the Rockers accidentally broke a jobber's neck around 1991 or so (well, he really broke it himself, but that's beside the point). Was that match ever shown on TV? I'd swear I remember seeing the Rockers stretcher job someone, but my memory is really hazy on it.

Here's one that's been bugging me:

We've all heard of the infamous tag match where the Rockers accidentally broke a jobber's neck around 1991 or so (well, he really broke it himself, but that's beside the point). Was that match ever shown on TV? I'd swear I remember seeing the Rockers stretcher job someone, but my memory is really hazy on it.

Graham Cawthon's site claims the match never aired on television.

Guest Greg Valentine

A couple of questions I had running through my head while watching some old tapes:

- When and why did the Headshrinkers turn face? Was it the affiliation with Capt. Lou? And how exactly did he join up with the guys?

- Who was Bunkhouse Buck? Was he famous in another territory before his run in WCW? He was always a guilty pleasure for me, any reason why you don't hear about him anymore?

- Who was Bunkhouse Buck? Was he famous in another territory before his run in WCW? He was always a guilty pleasure for me, any reason why you don't hear about him anymore?

Bunkhouse Buck was Jimmy Golden, who had a fair amount of success teaming with Robert Fuller (Col. Parker) in the NWA territories. He was fairly old by the time he got to WCW in the mid-90s.

Any word on what happened to the Headbangers. Guilty pleasure indeed, and Mosh became Chaz and was D'Lo partner, but anything else?

I always wondered about that. They were a decent team and were fairly over. They had a token tag title reign and then went nowhere pretty quickly. Not sure why they broke up.

At Lushus' suggestion in the Greatest of the 90's thread, I re-watched Warrior vs Savage at WMVII. I'd forgotten not only how good the match was, but the retirement stipulation. Savage, of course, won the title a year later at WMVIIII. Fill me in how they worked around that rule?

At Lushus' suggestion in the Greatest of the 90's thread, I re-watched Warrior vs Savage at WMVII. I'd forgotten not only how good the match was, but the retirement stipulation. Savage, of course, won the title a year later at WMVIIII. Fill me in how they worked around that rule?

Jack Tunney reinstated him for Tuesday night in Texas after Jake the Snake attacked Savage and Elizabeth after Summerslam's Match made in Heaven

I would just add how brilliant WWE booked this to not only allow Savage to return despite the stipulation, but had the fans begging them to do it.

It was an awesome angle that was very well executed.

If it was done now WWE would probably have had come back after a week on a different brand with no real explanation. Sad really.

- When and why did the Headshrinkers turn face? Was it the affiliation with Capt. Lou? And how exactly did he join up with the guys?

They really didn't turn babyface until the match with the Quebecars. The Quebecars were such strong heels, the Headshrinkers with Albano were the default babyfaces.

Did Andre The Giant have any clean pinfall losses during his WWF career other than Wrestlemania III against Hogan?