TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Which brings me on to another question. Of all the books released by the WWE in recent years, I am right ins aying only Foley's ones have been written by the actual wrestler whose name is on the cover? Though that's the same or most autobiographies, to be fair, and makes me surprised that so many people slated Hogan for "his" book when he just clearly signed for it and took the cash.

I think Edge wrote his.

Has every light heavyweight to compete regularly in the WWE in the past decade won the Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight title? I'm having a hard time of thinking of one who hasn't (Scotty won it, Funaki won it).

I'm sure there are a few who haven't (I'm almost 100% sure Shannon Moore didn't) but I'm afraid the vast majority of them have.

Ultimo Dragon

Jimmy Yang

Psicosis

Super Crazy

Shannon Moore

Grandmaster Sexay (if you want to include him)

I'd remove Ultimo Dragon and Psicosis from that list, since the Cruiserweight title's lineage goes back to the WCW days.

Yeah, but there are a TON of cruiserweights who didn't win the WCW Cruiserweight title.

I was basically asking about which light heavies who've competed in the WWF/E haven't won a Light Heavyweight/Cruiserweight title.

I'd still like to know if there were any plans for Hogan after King of The Ring '93. I mean it seems fairly obvious now that he was done after jobbing to Yoko but if you go back and watch King of The Ring, JR and Savage really put Hogan over after the loss and IIRC, at various points after the match mention that we haven't seen the last of Hogan.

I think they wanted Hogan to stay but not as a full time main eventer and Hogan balked and did Thunder In Paradise (Classic) and then went to WCW. Anybody know more about whether or not KOTR 93 was supposed to be Hogan's last appearence in the WWF until '02?

The cool part is later on in the show, Shawn Michaels is interviewed before his IC title defense match against Crush and he insults Hulk Hogan, teasing a feud a full 12 years before they actually did!

Guest MrP
They were just one spot appearances. It was MSG - Vince Sr. used to bring in all the big names from all over the country to fill the place up - whether it be the Von Erichs from Texas, Piper from Oregon, Andre, Dusty from Florida, Jack Brisco, Race, Flair, you name it.

One of the greatest things about being a wrestling fan in the days of the territory, was that constant rotation of talent. It really kept things from being stale. Unlike today, the only way I had to get information was the various wrestling mags, and they were always so far behind the times, that there was really no such thing as current news, except for the television program itself. I remember going with my dad to the old Field House in Hamburg, PA....wrestling was so much more enjoyable for me in those days.

was the promo where Vince says "J-A-Double R-E-Double T is going to be G-Double O-Double N-E" part of his promo when he was on Nitro (following the WCW purchase)?

hmmm, unless I missed it, when they re-aired that episode on 24/7 awhile back, that part seems to have been omitted. I was trying to find a transcript of the show. Was it actually during that same promo or was it in one of the various backstage segments?

EDIT: found it, it was during the opening....sorry, that was just bugging me for some reason!

What's the deal with the Scott Hall is a drunk angle from 1998? Was this just a angle or was he really drunk? I'm guessing Angle but I'm not sure.

Well they did a good job because when I was younger, I believed it. Oh how I miss the days of being a young mark.

Should Piper ever held the World Title during the 80's against Hulk Hogan?

i'm going to go against what I believe to be the popular opinion and say no. I can't think of one point in the feud where it would have made more sense to have Piper win the title. Plus, Piper didn't need it, and having Hogan as champ made much more sense for marketing purposes.

I agree. In hindsight it looks like some guys could have used the rub by beating Hogan for the belt (Piper, Orndorff, Hennig, Dibiase), but part of the Hogan mystique was that he was unbeatable. Being champ for four years was part of what made him so special. I'm not sure flipping the belt between him and Piper would have been good for either character or the credibility of the title.

Piper shouldn't have won it, but he should have had the WrestleMania 2 slot in the cage. Seriously, what makes more sense from a marketing perspective? Blowing off a feud that's lasted over a year? Or hotshotting some random heel into the main event slot?

Piper shouldn't have won it, but he should have had the WrestleMania 2 slot in the cage. Seriously, what makes more sense from a marketing perspective? Blowing off a feud that's lasted over a year? Or hotshotting some random heel into the main event slot?

I agree there. That probably would've made WM2 a memorable show, rather than the forgettable one that "Oh yeah, had King Kong Bundy's one career making match", on it.

Piper was the kind of heel that didn't need a title to be over. The only thing they could have done would've been to give him a Honky Tonk Man type reign where he repeatedly screwed midcard and uppercard babyfaces out of winning the title, before jobbing it back to Hogan, and that would've been pretty pointless in retrospect.

Not sure if anyone cares , but I just relaized that 7 years ago today, Bischoff and Russo united to lead WCW (and kick off the new blood angle), and Taka faced HHH for the WWF title on RAW in a semi-famous match.

Why did "Dean" Douglas get handed the intercontinental title at in your house? Not the kayfabe explaination, but the real explaination here.

Also, why did Razor Ramon win it almost immediately. Why didn't they let Douglas run with the title? Did they already see a Ramon-Goldust angle down the road, so Douglas was "in the way"?

Yeah Piper and Hogan was never going to happen because Roddy basically refused to job. If it wasn't Piper in the main event at WM 2 I really can't think of another heel that could have filled the slot other than Bundy.

I could've seen them do something where Hogan just barely beat Piper out of the cage, or maybe he ties up Piper in the ropes (assuming it was "escape" rules) and then have Piper complain about it, but never doing a final blow off after that.

I'm not sure that the Hogan-Piper feud had enough heat left to carry Wrestlemania, at least not without a title change. Hogan's feuds always drew less and less as the program continued. Using Bundy in that spot was a sound decision. Plugging in large man to feud with Hogan hadn't really been overdone at this point in time; Hogan-Piper had.

Yeah, that's true. I think that's also the first time WWF made Hogan look somewhat vulnerable, with the angle where Bundy hurt Hogan's ribcage, unless I'm forgetting something earlier.

Also, why did Razor Ramon win it almost immediately. Why didn't they let Douglas run with the title? Did they already see a Ramon-Goldust angle down the road, so Douglas was "in the way"?

Clique happens.