TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

I just watched the infamous Halloween Havoc 95. Besides the end of the main event and Macho/Zodiac, I didn't think the show was that bad. Especially for mainstream wrestling at the time. I got some questions though:

1. Why the monster truck battle? Did WCW have a deal with the Monster truck people and to plug the Hogan truck?

2. Was Kamala fired or did he quit before Halloween Havoc? He was scheduled to face Luger but Meng got the spot.

3. If Hall and Nash hadn't left WWF, Was the plan all along for Savage/Hogan in 96 for Hogan to go heel and we get a Luger/Hogan vs Savage/Sting tag team match at Bash at the beach?

4. How Long was Luger in the Dungeon of Doom?

I seem to recall that Luger was being courted to join by Kevin Sullivan. Sullivan tried to stir things up between Luger and Savage and tried to plant the idea that Lex was also going to stab Hogan in the back. Sting played the mediator and eventually got things smoothed over.

If I am wrong about this, then my bad.

Luger attacked Savage and Hogan at the end of the Havoc Match. I know he teamed with Meng at the next night's Nitro vs Sting/Savage.

I always liked the whole Luger angle..he was a heel-heavy tweener that was interested only in getting championships and teaming with Sting..it was like everybody thought he was a dick except Sting..it was also nice to see a manager just simply manage a guy and not fold him into a stable like Jimmy Hart did withLuger and the with Luger and the DoD.

How did Ted DiBiase come to manage the Steiners in WCW?

Wasn't it during the "Outsiders run Steiners off the road" angle and he just left the NWO in disgust?

Unless that happened again, no. They recently showed this angle on 24/7 and Ted seemed cool with it.

IIRC Ted dissapeared sometime in the spring, after a match (I think at spring stampede 97) when he came in to stop nash from beating on rick steiner. in the late summer the steiners simply came out and introduced ted as their new manager

Did Booker T and DDP have heat in WCW? On the confidential DVD, when ask about DDP as champion, Booker laughs, then said, manufactured.

Well DDP had heat with alot of people in WCW cause they thought he was just a Bischoff/Nash Kissup. Of course that was the only way to survive in WCW at the time.

How/why did Pillman join the Hart Foundation in 1997, was there any other reason other than hatred for Austin?

Also, Why did Steve McMichael just vanish from WCW and the Four Horseman in 1999?

Seriously, of all the guys in the WWF, why did Goldust represent Team America twice in 1997? I mean ANYONE but him would've been a better fit.

Why not Goldust? He was one of the only decent upper mid-carders left, and had problems with the Harts going into each match. Of course, the match at Survivor Series didn't work out so well since Pillman had died, and Goldust was turning heel.

I got the feeling from his character he didn't fit a "team style" and was always a character out on his own.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
I got the feeling from his character he didn't fit a "team style" and was always a character out on his own.

Maybe so, but the Undertaker was in a couple Survivor Series matches when he was still undead or whatever. Though one of them was an injury replacement (against the Foreign Fanatics). That was a heck of a surprise, for those that remember it.

Maybe so, but the Undertaker was in a couple Survivor Series matches when he was still undead or whatever. Though one of them was an injury replacement (against the Foreign Fanatics). That was a heck of a surprise, for those that remember it.

Wasnt the match a setup for a vader/Goldust feud down the road anyways?

Yeah, that was pretty shocking. I remember thinking how cool it was when he revealed the American flag under his coat when Luger and company brought him out. I'm trying to remember...did one of the Steiners (Rick?) actually get injured, or was it just done to make the PPV lineup more appealing?

Tatanka (originally on the All-American Team) was injured by Ludvig Borga on Superstars, also handing him his first pinfall loss. Enter Taker. Tatanka later came back to briefly challenge for the WWF title.

OK, I forgot it was Tatanka that was injured. I remember being mad when Borga beat Tatanka, because he blatantly cheated and the ref didn't catch him. I remember he pinned him with one finger, too.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
OK, I forgot it was Tatanka that was injured. I remember being mad when Borga beat Tatanka, because he blatantly cheated and the ref didn't catch him. I remember he pinned him with one finger, too.

Borga wrecked some people. Maybe it's a shame that he ended up getting hurt and his career was pretty much over - they sacrificed quite a few guys to get him over. He was getting some pretty serious heat though.

Speaking of Tatanka, was there any reason why he was undefeated for so long, or was it just a mix of lucky booking, and the way the buisness was at the time?

I can remember Luger (in the early Narcissist days when his steel forearm would knock out every opponent) pinning people with his pinkie. I always had wished someone would do that before he did.

I'm sure this has been asked somewhere in the previous 113 pages, but I'm not going to go back and re-read them all: What was the point in the different colored belt straps? Each color was a completely different belt, right? I can remember Warrior having a yellow, blue, purple, white, and maybe an orange one. Shawn had a white I-C belt at WM IX (the Tatanka talk made me think of this). Isn't it a lot of money to make a completely new belt, just for a different colored strap?

Yeah, that was pretty shocking. I remember thinking how cool it was when he revealed the American flag under his coat when Luger and company brought him out. I'm trying to remember...did one of the Steiners (Rick?) actually get injured, or was it just done to make the PPV lineup more appealing?

Agreed... that was one of the coolest things I remember from that period.

Seriously, of all the guys in the WWF, why did Goldust represent Team America twice in 1997? I mean ANYONE but him would've been a better fit.

I thought he was a replacement for Sid at the July PPV.

Two reasons I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Capitalizing on his out of character interviews with JR that shed some light on "The Real Goldust".

2. Pillman and Goldust were about to feud anyway.

On that note, what happened to Sid? Lost at Wrestlemania 13, and I don't recall seeing him again for two months, when he made what, one appearance on Raw, and then gone again?

Sid was on the Raw after WM13 hyiping his match with Bret Hart at Revenge of the Taker and upcoming match with Mankind on Raw the following week. That was the end of him until a 6 man tag at King of the Ring and a cameo appearance the week after Canadian Stampede. I think this has been answered about 4 times throughout different threads, but as WWE 24/7 approaches these Raws, it's easier to answer (I didn't know Sid vs Bret was ever scheduled until last week). Departure reasons range from being asked to job to Bret to softball season, or a bit of both.

On that note, what happened to Sid? Lost at Wrestlemania 13, and I don't recall seeing him again for two months, when he made what, one appearance on Raw, and then gone again?

Softball season?