TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Seriously, of all the guys in the WWF, why did Goldust represent Team America twice in 1997? I mean ANYONE but him would've been a better fit.

I thought he was a replacement for Sid at the July PPV.

On that note, what happened to Sid? Lost at Wrestlemania 13, and I don't recall seeing him again for two months, when he made what, one appearance on Raw, and then gone again?

Softball season?

I believe the story is that he bailed when he found out he wasn't going to be in the main event picture anymore. They basically didn't have anything for him to do after losing to the Undertaker.

Re: Belts

One rumor I heard is that when Warrior was champion, he'd have the tendency to lose his belts. In anticipation of this, they had several belts made and once he showed up at a taping, whoop, new belt.

Re: Belts

One rumor I heard is that when Warrior was champion, he'd have the tendency to lose his belts. In anticipation of this, they had several belts made and once he showed up at a taping, whoop, new belt.

That would explain all the different color belts he used too!

How the hell can you lose a championship wrestling belt? I mean, I can see it with Warrior, because it's Warrior, but wtf.

Re: Sid disappearing after WM 13

As mentioned by the good Dr, Sid had been scheduled to face Bret Hart at the IYH the following month with the idea that Bret would get his win back from putting Sid over the previous December. Sid was not down with that, and purely by coincidence, came down with an injury. When he came back a while later on Raw, it was to put over Undertaker. He was also not happy about that, but he ended up going through with it, apparently after having it intimated that it was either do the job or your lose your job.

Re: Warrior's title belt changing color

Same reason his look keep changing. They were trying everything they could think of to get him over, so they'd change his face paint, his hair, etc. It was this that started the legendary rumor that there was more than one UW. His look kept changing so much that people started thinking it was because it was a different person.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Speaking of Tatanka, was there any reason why he was undefeated for so long, or was it just a mix of lucky booking, and the way the buisness was at the time?

I don't know for sure but they definitely were setting up the Tatanka-Shawn Michaels feud that would culminate at Wrestlemania with Sherri being in Tatanka's corner and Luna Vachon being with Michaels. I guess if Tatanka was invincible and Michaels beat him, that would help Michaels quite a bit as a singles wrestler (even though he was already Intercontinental Champion) at the time.

I don't know. I just find it hard to believe that they set Tatanka up as undefeated so they could have him face Borga down the road. Borga wasn't even in the company at the time I don't think, so there wasn't much of a set-up for a feud. Anybody else know what was going on?

Speaking of Tatanka, was there any reason why he was undefeated for so long, or was it just a mix of lucky booking, and the way the buisness was at the time?

I don't know for sure but they definitely were setting up the Tatanka-Shawn Michaels feud that would culminate at Wrestlemania with Sherri being in Tatanka's corner and Luna Vachon being with Michaels. I guess if Tatanka was invincible and Michaels beat him, that would help Michaels quite a bit as a singles wrestler (even though he was already Intercontinental Champion) at the time.

I don't know. I just find it hard to believe that they set Tatanka up as undefeated so they could have him face Borga down the road. Borga wasn't even in the company at the time I don't think, so there wasn't much of a set-up for a feud. Anybody else know what was going on?

Not sure, but I remember watching the weekend program that featured the Tatanka/Borga match. I still recall thinking at the time that it was a "big time" match and Borga was going to be a force.

I just think that since WWF was getting somewhat short of top babyfaces at the time, they were trying to build Tatanka up for the future, and the "undefeated streak" was any easy way to do it.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

Jim Ross talked about how, early on in his career, he had to drive Leroy McGuirk around and one of their missions was to go kill Ted DiBiase. I read on another site that it was because DiBiase supposedly laid down the lumber with McGuirk's daughter (I assume this is Mike? what a weird name). Is that accurate?

Jim Ross talked about how, early on in his career, he had to drive Leroy McGuirk around and one of their missions was to go kill Ted DiBiase. I read on another site that it was because DiBiase supposedly laid down the lumber with McGuirk's daughter (I assume this is Mike? what a weird name). Is that accurate?

I wouldn't doubt it. From what Ross has said in interviews, Bill Watts had him do a lot of crazy stuff.

Here's the exact story.

- JR told some great stories about Leroy McGuirk, who ran things in his neck of the woods. JR described himself as an office gopher for McGuirk when he broke in, and felt like he had gotten into the Mafia once he got into the business. He said he would run around and buy everything McGuirk wanted, from a half pint of whiskey to presidential cigars. He bought them everyday. JR said Leroy would often lash out when he would get drunk and become self-conscious and angry about his partial blindness. JR said he learned a great deal listening to Leroy, including basic tenets like: you have a hero and you have a villian, and they need to be fighting over something everyone can relate to.

- JR said Leroy once flew off the handle when he heard his daughter was intimate with Ted Dibiase. Leroy started drinking the next morning and clutched his "Dirty Harry"-esque handgun. He told JR to accompany him from Tulsa to Shreveport with the gun in tow as JR realized "he was about to be an accessory to murder." "I was going from Tulsa to Shreveport to kill Ted Dibiase with my boss' gun," JR said. The crowd laughed hysterically at this. JR was 20 at the time. He said Leroy drove with his gun in his lap, barrel pointed at JR, and flicked the ashes from his cigar into a Folgers can as he drove. He said one of the ashes fell off the cigar into Leroy's lap, burning through his pants and sending the gun flying onto the dash. They pulled over to put out this fire in Leroy's crotch, and it was there that the hunt for Dibiase was called off. JR said Leroy's daughter went onto have unsuccessful relationships with two other wrestlers anyway. He said at the time a wrestler's daughter dating another wrestler was "the kiss of death."

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/h...t.asp?aID=19019

One of those unsuccessful relationships referenced was with Brian Blair. It wouldn't surprise me if JR was being ribbed.

The entire article is a GREAT read.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
One of those unsuccessful relationships referenced was with Brian Blair. It wouldn't surprise me if JR was being ribbed.

The entire article is a GREAT read.

It was pure luck that I ever heard about this anyway. I watched Jim Ross's Hall of Fame speech on YouTube or something. I hate Jim Ross.

Thanks for the information.

Bret's book briefly mentions this when discussing Mike as a party goer. Her name is Michelle but LeRoy badly wanted a boy, so he called her Mike all the time.

Did Ric Flair ever wrestle Andre The Giant? And if he did, where and when did this happen?

PWI put a Flair vs. Andre match in second runner-up spot in their match of the year awards in 1977. I'm pretty sure Andre had a series of NWA title matches against the champion, which he'd win by DQ, and it might have been Flair he faced.

Did Ric Flair ever wrestle Andre The Giant? And if he did, where and when did this happen?

PWI put a Flair vs. Andre match in second runner-up spot in their match of the year awards in 1977. I'm pretty sure Andre had a series of NWA title matches against the champion, which he'd win by DQ, and it might have been Flair he faced.

I do recall having read that Harley Race defended the NWA Title against Andre sometime, somewhere. I even remember reading that Race gave Andre a bodyslam! But I have no knowledge of Flair defending the Title against the Giant. I checked my PWI almanaq and you're right. It'd be nice to know if Flair ever actually defended against Andre, what kind of show it was, etc.

I do recall having read that Harley Race defended the NWA Title against Andre sometime, somewhere. I even remember reading that Race gave Andre a bodyslam! But I have no knowledge of Flair defending the Title against the Giant. I checked my PWI almanaq and you're right. It'd be nice to know if Flair ever actually defended against Andre, what kind of show it was, etc.

I think most if not all of Andre's matches against Flair occurred in the late 1970s. They might have been for Flair's United States championship (Mid-Atlantic version). I doubt Andre ever wrestled against Flair for the NWA World title.

There's a Race shoot review in the archives, and he says that he has a picture of the slam in his gym, and he actually has Andre up over his head, not just a scoop slam.

Guest Hasbeen2
There's a Race shoot review in the archives, and he says that he has a picture of the slam in his gym, and he actually has Andre up over his head, not just a scoop slam.

http://www.harleyrace.com/trophy.htm

Picture is black and white at the top of the page. Not a great shot but Andre is clearly upside down and being slammed.

How did DDP get reinstated into the WWF after the Alliance lost at Survivor Series? Also, how did he turn face? Was it working with Christian? Lastly, were they finally letting him become the old DDP going into the crowds and were they gonna give him a push until he got hurt for good?

Also:

Why was Tazz Stone Cold's bitch in 2001? There has to be more to this, no?

When Randy Savage returned to WCW in January 1997 he sided with Sting, But I remember that when Savage joined The NWO at Superbrawl, Sting joined with him for a month and then Sting destroyed NWo at Uncensored PPV, Am I the only one who remembers Sting in the NWO in 1997?

When Randy Savage returned to WCW in January 1997 he sided with Sting, But I remember that when Savage joined The NWO at Superbrawl, Sting joined with him for a month and then Sting destroyed NWo at Uncensored PPV, Am I the only one who remembers Sting in the NWO in 1997?

I think it was just Sting pretending to be with the nWo, without officially joining. I do remember that portion though.

I thought it was silly how later on Sting became part of the Wolfpac nWo, and the announcers made it out like he was a big traitor, when it was obvious the Wolfpac were babyfaces fighting the black & white nWo.

Speaking of Sting, How big of a flop was NWO wolfpack sting? How long was he apart of the group?

he was in from june 98- halloween havoc 98 (bret hart "injured" him with a bat) by the time sting came back in april, the wolfpack was long dead, as the fingerpoke occured

Why was Nathan Jones taken out of the tag match at WM19? Did they really think that the match would truly suck with him in it at the last minute?

Jones was so green at the time they were afraid of putting him in front of an audience, espically at Wrestlemania.

Looking back, its probably for the best that Nathan Jones was taken out of the tag match. Not that the match was a classic, but on paper it looks a lot better for Taker when it shows that one of his 15 wins at Mania was a handicap match Vs. 2 big guys like Show and Albert.