TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

How did DDP get reinstated into the WWF after the Alliance lost at Survivor Series? Also, how did he turn face? Was it working with Christian? Lastly, were they finally letting him become the old DDP going into the crowds and were they gonna give him a push until he got hurt for good?

He beat Bossman on an episode of Heat that for some reason had the stipulation he could get a job in the Fed if he won. As for being a face, his scthick ("that's not a bad thing, that's a good thing!") towards the end of The Alliance was getting him some good face reactions.

Also, since there seemed to be a lot of Mania 13 / Sid talk, I might as well mention what Bret said in his book about all that here (some of this is repeated I think, but just sourcing it as being from Bret):

- Taker / Sid WAS supposed to be for the title long before Shawn's knee / smile injury. Bret vs Shawn was going to be a ladder match with the loser's hair on the line.

- Bret says Sid missed time in the spring of 97 (missing the April IYH show that was to be against Bret) simply "due to injury" and does not have any sassy remark about him refusing to pay the job back, so he must believe that to be accurate.

Were there any plans to make Warrior a WWF champion in 1996? I know in the Warrior DVD they hinted at it, but it's seen to me as a smear campaign, so I don't really trust that source.

IIRC that ad was just a printing error since Warrior had to sub for HBK for that show or something.

IIRC, Cawthon told me they (WWE) just took a photo of an old house show poster from '96 from his site, superimposed Warrior's picture and name over Michaels. I'm not 100% sure but I remember him mentioning something like that.

Guest Lee_The_Pea
Were there any plans to make Warrior a WWF champion in 1996? I know in the Warrior DVD they hinted at it, but it's seen to me as a smear campaign, so I don't really trust that source.

I can't imagine so. When he returned, it seemed that the WWF just wanted his name, to combat the big names in WCW. All his matches were mid-card. I think that if he would have lasted and Vince gained some trust in him than he may have considered him as champ, but Vince probably knew that it would be a matter of time before he would quite, get fired. This return was a lot different than the one in 92.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

Does anyone have this poster in question? I've never seen a photo of it.

Does anyone know why Shawn was able to return in 2002? I thought his back injury put him on the shelf for life?

Flicking through his autobiography I think it was that he had surgery some time during the break on his back, he was told it were take away the chronic back pain he had, but reduce a lot of his mobility.

Turns out, it took away the pain, but didn't screw up his mobility much.

Here's the picture of the un photoshopped poster they used in The Warrior DVD.If you look at The Warrior DVD, it's the same exact poster, same date and arena, same matches except Michaels' picture is there and he's facing Vader. Amusingly enough, the house show took place after Warrior left IIRC.

Edit: Man $20 for floor tickets to a house show. Those were the days. The last house show that came here, the floor seats were $60. But I digress.

post-2255-1195660205_thumb.jpg

When Bret Hart won the title from Taker in 1997, the original plan was for him to drop it to Austin at Mania 14 right? That was, until Shawn intervened and got his way?

When Bret Hart won the title from Taker in 1997, the original plan was for him to drop it to Austin at Mania 14 right? That was, until Shawn intervened and got his way?

Austin was definitely getting the title at WM 14, but not necessarily from Bret. It wasn't set in stone that Bret would hold the title until Mania, or that he'd have the title by then. With Shawn and DX catching fire, it's likely Shawn would have got a run with the title, even if relations between Bret, Shawn and the WWF remained amicable.

"Decided" is an interesting choice of words.

Vince told Bret to leave for WCW because he couldn't afford Bret's contract, a month later he changed his tune. Bret had a choice and decided to go to WCW. This was all before Montreal, not a result of it.

Austin / Hart for the WWF Championship at Wrestlemania 14 would have been awesome. :(

Was there supposed to be a four way for the ECW Title between Big Show, Sabu, Kurt Angle, RVD at Summerslam 2006. but plans were changed due to Angle and RVD??

That might have been an idea. It was going to be Show vs. Sabu vs. Angle, then the whole deal with Angle went down.

Does anybody remember a best of five series in WCW around late 2000, between Mysterio/Juventud Guerrera???

Also,

Does anybody know any of other series, that have been made, besides Benoit/Booker T, Cena/Booker T, Homicide/Danielson????

I recently have watched the Sting/Regal series, the saturday night match and nitro match. However I was wondering how their match at ....I think the Great American Bash went, was it "good" like the first two, better, or what?

Does anybody remember a best of five series in WCW around late 2000, between Mysterio/Juventud Guerrera???

I was one of the five people who regularly watched WCW at that point and I have no recollection of a Best of Five series between those two whatsoever. I'd bet it never happened and you're just getting mixed up.

Besides, Juvy got released in October 2000 after running through a hotel lobby naked high on something (PCP IIRC) and shouting during WCW's sold out Australian tour. I'm sure somebody here knows more specifics about the incident. It was a pretty amusing story.

I was one of the five people who regularly watched WCW at that point and I have no recollection of a Best of Five series between those two whatsoever. I'd bet it never happened and you're just getting mixed up.

Besides, Juvy got released in October 2000 after running through a hotel lobby naked high on something (PCP IIRC) and shouting during WCW's sold out Australian tour. I'm sure somebody here knows more specifics about the incident. It was a pretty amusing story.

In retrospect, it would have been a lot funnier if he was yelling, "I'm a Jedi! I'm a Jedi!"

In retrospect, it would have been a lot funnier if he was yelling, "I'm a Jedi! I'm a Jedi!"

Second match of the Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Juventud Guerrera best-of-five series.

I'm recording this again.

Tygress joins K-Dawg, Tony Schiavone, and Mike Tenay at the announcers.

The bell rings and they shake hands.

They feel out again.

A little less than last week, though.

Speaking of last week, the move I asked about was a modified Gory Special.

They wrestle a bit, then Rey hits a drop toehold into a move that looks like a cross between a surfboard and STF.

Then Misterio goes for a La Majistral pin.

I learned that one from playing WWF Attitude.

Rey hits a monkey flip and Juvi hits the ropes with his legs really hard.

He rolls out of the ring.

The ref checks on Juvi, Konnan checks on Juvi, and they stop the match.

Your Winner: Either a no contest, or Rey via referee's decision depending on what they want to do with it.

Post-match, the fans boo the decision to stop the match.

DDTDigest.com Thunder 9.27.00

I wasn't mixed up, the series did exist.

Does anybody know any of other series, that have been made, besides Benoit/Booker T, Cena/Booker T, Homicide/Danielson????

Magnum T.A. and Nikita Koloff had a Best of Seven Series in 1986 to determine the United States Champion.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Has Randy Savage ever wrestled Rick Rude? If so, were there any TV bouts?

Interesting question. I don't think they did, as the time Rude spent in the WWF pretty much coincided with the Macho Man heel turn as WWF Champion and then the Macho King gimmick.

They might have spent time together in the ring during a Royal Rumble though. I don't recall it, but it could have happened.