TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Guest JohnFTW
IIRC, the first time the WWF had the black ringside "wall" instead of the metal guardrail was SummerSlam 1998. Why was this change made? I've always found it silly to see someone irish-whipped into a rubber/foam wall, and Steamboat's "crushed larynx" of 1987 could only work (convincigly) on a metal rail.

I think they did this because it was a few months earlier when a kid got hurt when a wrestler was thrown into the rail. I think that was happening quite often during that time and I guess they wanted more protection for the fans.

I still laugh at Dusty Rhodes' story about what Andre did to him in the brothel in New Orleans.

Details?

I can't do it justice (Dusty telling it himself was hilarious), but here goes:

Dusty and Andre were in New Orleans one night, and Andre took Dusty to a brothel. Andre liked going there because it was ran by a woman who spoke French, and Andre would go talk with her when he was in town. The building was pretty run down, and it was storming outside. After some thunder, the lights went out, and Dusty said he felt something wet running down his leg. He figured the roof was leaking, and then he heard Andre laughing (Think Jabba the Hut laughing). The lights came back on, and Dusty realized Andre was peeing on him. Dusty started freaking out because he had "giant piss" on him, and then he gave the classic line, "Andre the Giant just pissed on the American Dream in a bordello in New Orleans".

Well he teamed with Booker T and Nash at Backlash '03. But if you're asking if they ever faced each other, I don't know but I doubt it. They always seemed to be either on different brands or both faces during the time they were both in WWE.

Has Shawn Michaels EVER wrestled a match with Booker T?

Not one-on-one, but both participated in the inaugural Elimination Chamber match. I cannot remember if they were even in the ring at the same time.

2. Diesel and Razor Ramon teamed up on the house show circuit against Jeff Jarrett and Shawn Michaels leading up to WrestleMania XI.

I think this is worth mentioning if their teaming is rare. According to the Hall & Nash shoot interview, they'd do the spot where they'd back into one another and do a slow turn and face off to see if a Razor/Diesel feud had potential.

Was the 1991 MSG bout between Hogan and Flair their first televised encounter?

Alright...I'm watching Wrestlemania 3 and I'm up to the midget tag team match.

Was there any specific storyline reason that Bundy and Hillbilly Jim were teaming with midgets? Were Bundy and Hillbilly Jim even feuding going in?

Him physically getting up and lecturing Shawn and Mankind at the Mind Games PPV is evidence of Vince the booker coming out while he was "commentating", so I wondered how he balanced the two.

What's the story about that?

It's never quite been revealed why/what, but Vince left commentary mid-match to tell Shawn and Mankind something. It actually came up here a few months ago, the consensus being he was telling them to go home, since it was nearly 1045.

I have a question. When WCW was still around my big brother told me that Halloween Havoc was originally called Halloween Have It, because if you wanted to have a match, you could have it, at Halloween Have It. Thanks to forums, I was able to learn that he passed on the wrong story to me!!! Did anyone else think this?

Alright...I'm watching Wrestlemania 3 and I'm up to the midget tag team match.

Was there any specific storyline reason that Bundy and Hillbilly Jim were teaming with midgets?

Because it's hee-la-ri-ous!

I have a question. When WCW was still around my big brother told me that Halloween Havoc was originally called Halloween Have It, because if you wanted to have a match, you could have it, at Halloween Have It. Thanks to forums, I was able to learn that he passed on the wrong story to me!!! Did anyone else think this?

No.

No.

My God, No.

What exactly was the plan for Ultimate Warrior in WCW in 1998? I think I read his final appearance was on the Nitro following Halloween Havoc, so it seems like his feud with Hogan was supposed to continue. What were the circumstances behind his leaving the company? It's easy to assume it was money-related, I suppose.

What exactly was the plan for Ultimate Warrior in WCW in 1998? I think I read his final appearance was on the Nitro following Halloween Havoc, so it seems like his feud with Hogan was supposed to continue. What were the circumstances behind his leaving the company? It's easy to assume it was money-related, I suppose.

Hogan getting his win back. Other than that, they didn't really give a whole lot of thought into what to do with Warrior. Once Hogan beat Warrior, they didn't know what to do with him, and let him stay home for the remainder of his contract. Amazingly, Warrior got a raise and contract extension before the Hogan match, and walked away with a few million dollars. Not bad for two months work.

Here's a two-part question:

A) Why did the Southern Boys change their name to the Young Pistols? Was there an explanation given?

B) How many tag team duos have competed under two or more monikers? This is what I can come up with:

Southern Boys/Young Pistols

Dudley Boyz/Team 3D

Team Angle/TWGTT

Mega Powers/Monster Maniacs

Bad Company/Orient Express

Road Warriors/Legion of Doom

Minnesota Wrecking Crew/Beverly Bros.

The Blonde Bombers/The Dicks

Sheepherders/Bushwhackers

Untouchables/Throwbacks/Deuce & Domino

Ebony Experience/Harlem Heat

Quebecers/Amazing French Canadians

Powers of Pain/Super Assassins

Bruise Brothers/Blu Twins/Harris Twins/Grimm Twins/DOA/Creative Control

Too Cool/Too Much

Neighborhoodies/Cryme Tyme

Island Boys/3-Minute Warning

Samoan Swat Team/Headshrinkers

PG-13/Cyberpunks

Gymini/Shane Twins

The Headbangers/Sisters of Love/Flying Nuns/Spiders

Head Hunters/Squat Team

Gangstas in Paradise/Samoan Gangsta Party

New Age Outlaws/James Gang/Voodoo Kin Mafia

Major Brothers/Edgeheads

Harlem Knights/Men on a Mission

The Acolytes/APA

Tex Schlesinger & Shanghai Pierce/The Godwinns/Southern Justice

E&C/The Brood/Los Conquistadors

Hardy Boyz/New Brood/Wildo & Ingus Jynx/Los Conquistadors

I would also throw in Tex Schlesinger & Shanghai Pierce as The Godwinns.

I would not count The Rockers dropping the "Midnight" from their name, however.

EDIT: UPDATED LIST

I would also throw in Tex Schlesinger & Shanghai Pierce as The Godwinns

They were Southern Justice as well in WCW. And I don't know if you wanna include Anderson & Blanchard being called "The Brainbusters" in WWF.

Good list.

They were Southern Justice as well in WCW.

Good call. Forgot about the Southern Justice label. I had no idea that they used it when they were in WCW.

Also, I think that Sexton Hardcastle & Christian Cage competed as a tag team in Canada before they became The Brood/E&C in the WWF. And they wrestled as the Conquistadors.

That reminds me...

Hardy Boyz/Los Conquistadors/Wildo & Ingus Jynx/New Brood

Good call. Forgot about the Southern Justice label. I had no idea that they used it when they were in WCW.

Come to think of it, I may have my facts mixed up with this. I think Southern Justice were in WWE, not WCW. But anyway, the name still stands.

Come to think of it, I may have my facts mixed up with this. I think Southern Justice were in WWE, not WCW. But anyway, the name still stands.

Right, they were Jeff Jarrett's hired muscle during JJ's second WWF stint.

A) Why did the Southern Boys change their name to the Young Pistols? Was there an explanation given?

Not sure about the storyline reason, but the real reason was because the Southern Boys gimmick was deemed 'too Southern' and they wanted something less regional.

They weren't around long, were they? I remember them interfering during a Nation-DX match a few weeks before Summerslam; That was the first I'd seen them, and the only other time I remember them, and this is pretty vaguely (if it's even correct), was at Breakdown or Judgement Day.

They weren't around long, were they? I remember them interfering during a Nation-DX match a few weeks before Summerslam; That was the first I'd seen them, and the only other time I remember them, and this is pretty vaguely (if it's even correct), was at Breakdown or Judgement Day.

It was at Breakdown. Canterbury aggravated his neck/back injury shortly after this, had surgery and eventually retired.

As noted earlier, a person by the name of Matthew Randazzo plans on writing a book on WWE called "Ring of Hell." It will be released in July by Phoenix Books. The book will chronicle the use of racial slurs on the part of WWE executives in the workplace. One WWE writer told Randazzo: "Brother Love and Michael Hayes would also routinely make racist jokes. I heard them use the 'n' word a few times."

Randazzo also claimed that a WWE production member asked him to release the following statement anonymously:

Michael Hayes 60-day suspension for allegedly making racist comments comes as no surprise to anyone who has ever worked with him. Since Stephanie took over the reigns of Creative, bringing him on-board after Russo and Ferrera left for WCW, Hayes has been a racist boor making n-jokes at every writers' meeting -- until one day that he was shocked and offended that Stephanie hired an African-American Writer's Assistant in 2003.

Stephanie called this talented young man in for an interview while Hayes was on holiday since she knew that Hayes being on the interview panel would have led to Hayes saying something racist and causing a lawsuit even before the African American candidate for the job was hired (every potential writer is interviewed by every sitting member of the writing teams of all shows in a panel format, prior to meeting with Stephanie). He was eventually hired.

When Hayes found out that an African-American was hired for the job, he thought that he was being ribbed. He said to someone who used to work at the WWE at the time who wishes to remain anonymous: 'Hired WHAT as a writer? I didn't know those boys can even write their name. Let's take bets on how long he will last here.' Needless to say, the African-American writer lasted less than 4 months at WWE Creative, with Hayes constantly burying him to Stephanie; and he actually made racist jokes in front of the said writer. The writer never made a formal complaint, which boggles the mind, and it allowed Hayes to continue on in his position.

Since the African-American writer, at least two other visible minorities have been hired by Stephanie, and always when Hayes is on vacation. Only one has survived more than 6 months, and that is current writer Dave Kapoor, who is of East-Indian descent. For the record, Hayes has made fun of him constantly whenever Kapoor isn't around, calling him and The Great Khali 'Our two resident sand-[n-words].'

Several other people within WWE backed up this and other stories regarding Hayes this past week.

That's from Lordsofpain so who knows if it's true. I've been watching a lot of Freebirds lately as part of the mid South set. This whole story doesn't come as a shock to me at all.

Wonder if Patrice Oneal experienced any of this? Maybe there was a reason his stint in the company was "very brief."

Patrice comes across as someone who wouldn't take it.

1. Why didn't Goldberg get the WCW Championship after Starrcade '98?

2. Do you guys believe that Goldberg not having the strap was a major factor in the decline of WCW?

3. Did Macho really have Stephanie when she was a teenager?