TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

What was it? I'm sure this, or a similar question has been asked before, but I never actually saw the Shake, Rattle & Roll. It was a swinging neckbreaker, wasn't it?

yes

It was a swinging neck breaker WITH THEATRICS

Refresh my battered memory as to why Tugboat was taken out of the SummerSlam 90 corne job for Hogan? He was injured by Quake kayfabe wise, but was there more to it?

It was some kind of disciplinary action. That's all I know. I used to have the Observer which reported this, but I don't anymore.

That was the excuse he used for weeks on WCW when he was a heel. This was a knee injury IIRC.

That's right. I got them mixed up, thanks.

I'm watching the Hogan/Andre match on the SNME set. During Hogan's pre-match interview, he's wearing the older WWF title belt that looks kinda like a bigger version of the WCW TV belt, but when he comes out, he's wearing the Winged Eagle belt. What's the deal with that?

Who was the first wrestler to essentially keep every single aspect of his heel persona once he made a face turn?

In other words, the only way you knew said wrestler was a face was by the way the announcers treated him, rather than his own actions.

Austin maybe? Flair?

I'm watching the Hogan/Andre match on the SNME set. During Hogan's pre-match interview, he's wearing the older WWF title belt that looks kinda like a bigger version of the WCW TV belt, but when he comes out, he's wearing the Winged Eagle belt. What's the deal with that?

Simple. The interview was pretaped with the 1986 belt, and Hogan wore the winged eagle (the belt specially made before WrestleMania III that never got used for some reason) for the first time when he went to the ring.

For that matter, why did they make such a big deal about making the new belt before WrestleMania III, making a point that whoever walked out as champion would have the new belt, only for Hogan to use the existing belt instead for the next ten months?

Da Crusher

You could well be right, though I've never seen any of his heel stuff to begin with.

You can't count not ripping on the fans- as I'm not sure any baby face has ever told the fans off, when the intention wasn't to turn him

Crusher was "roughin' dem bums up" at "my olde man's saloon" with his "10 mega ton arms" from his heel days to his 1988 retirement

Simple. The interview was pretaped with the 1986 belt, and Hogan wore the winged eagle (the belt specially made before WrestleMania III that never got used for some reason) for the first time when he went to the ring.

For that matter, why did they make such a big deal about making the new belt before WrestleMania III, making a point that whoever walked out as champion would have the new belt, only for Hogan to use the existing belt instead for the next ten months?

I always thought the Winged Eagle belt debuted at WrestleMania IV when Savage won the tournament.

I always thought the Winged Eagle belt debuted at WrestleMania IV when Savage won the tournament.

No, Ted Dibiase definitely wore the winged eagle belt after the Main Event, so it was in play before Mania IV.

Why was WCW Worldwide always a week behind in the late 90s? Sure the matches were taped weeks (or even months) in advance, but why couldn't they at least get the voiceovers/interviews/Nitro clips to be current? Is there any legit excuse or just more WCW stupidity?

I thought the winged eagle belt was given to Hogan after Wrestlemania III.

It was supposed to be but Hogan never wore it until The Main Event

Why was WCW Worldwide always a week behind in the late 90s? Sure the matches were taped weeks (or even months) in advance, but why couldn't they at least get the voiceovers/interviews/Nitro clips to be current? Is there any legit excuse or just more WCW stupidity?

I think they started falling behind around the time Thunder debuted, so maybe they just couldn't figure out what day to do voiceovers to cover everything.

Which doesn't really fly since WWF syndication was always on time, but it's a theory.

Ok, what exactly happened between June 1998 and the Rocky Sucks chants to about Sep-Oct 1998 when Rock was cheered big time.

What exactly did he do to get cheered so much? I don't remember an official face turn or anything.

There's probably more to it, but a week or so after Summerslam, I remember there was a Saturday Night Raw where Taker & Kane were pissed at Vince or something, and they were doing run-ins for every match and destroying whoever was out just to ruin the show. I believe Rock was one of the victims, and he was one of the few people, along with Shamrock and Mankind in coming weeks, to really fight back. That, combined with him apparently distancing himself from the Nation, just made the crowd start to take a liking to him, especially when he was eventually facing heels like D'Lo and Mark Henry in October.

There's probably more to it, but a week or so after Summerslam, I remember there was a Saturday Night Raw where Taker & Kane were pissed at Vince or something, and they were doing run-ins for every match and destroying whoever was out just to ruin the show. I believe Rock was one of the victims, and he was one of the few people, along with Shamrock and Mankind in coming weeks, to really fight back. That, combined with him apparently distancing himself from the Nation, just made the crowd start to take a liking to him, especially when he was eventually facing heels like D'Lo and Mark Henry in October.

No actually that's pretty much it.

The Rock turned the corner shortly after Summerslam 1998. He had a match on Raw where he beat Kane clean, despite Undertaker trying to fuck him over. The fans went nuts when he won. That was pretty much the true sign.

How did the Career match stipulation come into play for Warrior/Savage at WM VII? I'm assuming it was probably just a simple challenge, but I was just wondering if there was more to it.

I know that much, but how was the match proposed? Did Warrior cut a promo? Did Jack Tunney have anything to do with it? Or was it just announced during a WrestleMania Report?

When did Flash Funk become Too Cold in the WWE?

I remember Terry Funk looking for a partner (with a pretty good promo) which Flash answered, dressed and introduced as Scorpio. Was that it? If so, was there any kind of build, or any reason given for Terry looking for a tag partner(Outlaw/Foley related, perhaps?) If I'm not mistaken, this was the Raw which was to have Austin and McMahon fight.

As I recall, Funk/Scorpio beat the Quebecers on Raw, the Headbangers on Raw, wrestled a few singles matches against various opponents without a partner in their corner, fought in the Tag Royal Rumble two weeks prior to King of the Ring, then dissolved into the Faarooq/Bradshaw question above.

Why didn't Austin want to work a feud with (and thus elevate) Jeff Jarrett? I've completely forgotten the details from the fallout, but I know it was on every wrestling site at the time that Jarrett was going to have this huge feud with Austin.