TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

I know that much, but how was the match proposed? Did Warrior cut a promo? Did Jack Tunney have anything to do with it? Or was it just announced during a WrestleMania Report?

As far as I know, Gene Okerlund just kind of casually mentioned it on an Update segment.

I remember Terry Funk looking for a partner (with a pretty good promo) which Flash answered, dressed and introduced as Scorpio. Was that it? If so, was there any kind of build, or any reason given for Terry looking for a tag partner(Outlaw/Foley related, perhaps)?

IIRC, Foley "retired" one week after the cage match where the Outlaws joined DX (the night after WrestleMania) and stated that he felt unappreciated (this was due in part to a chorus of "We want Austin" chants during the match). He said that you would never see Cactus Jack again. This left Funk without a tag team partner.

Why didn't Austin want to work a feud with (and thus elevate) Jeff Jarrett? I've completely forgotten the details from the fallout, but I know it was on every wrestling site at the time that Jarrett was going to have this huge feud with Austin.

I think that there was some heat between the two going back to when they worked together in Memphis. I don't know the details, though.

There may have been other things in play, but the primary reason Austin didn't want to work with Jarrett was because of Jarrett's return promo that bashed Austin 3:16, as was mentioned upthread.

I think Jarrett made some comment about austin not drawing in memphis, and also, i think he owed austin money?

Why didn't Austin want to work a feud with (and thus elevate) Jeff Jarrett? I've completely forgotten the details from the fallout, but I know it was on every wrestling site at the time that Jarrett was going to have this huge feud with Austin.

I don't know if I read this somewhere or just made it up, but I assumed there was maybe some bad blood from Austin's time in Memphis.

Savage cost Warrior his reason for existing (the World Title) so Warrior was going to take Savage's career

Hence Warrior's trunks: "You cost me more than this: *Belt picture*

I'm pretty sure the trunks said "MEANS MUCH MORE THAN THIS: *Belt Picture*

Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg. After watching it again, yes, the crowd ruled, were these the chants in chronological order?

Boo!

Goldberg! Goldberg!

You Sold Out!

Na Na Na, Na Na Na, Hey, Hey, Hey, Goodbye!

This Match Sucks!

We Want Bret? (Sounded like it)

Austin! Austin!

Boring! Boring! Boring!

Goldberg Sucks!

Bullshit? (Sounded like it during a Lesnar headlock)

Outside of the Batista-Big Show ECW Hammerstein match, this has got to be my favorite fans crapping on performers match.

Edit: Was Batista legit pissed at that ECW crowd? He didn't seem to happy even being there.

It wasn't just one single reason, but the main reason was that Austin was unhappy over his time in Memphis, ie: the terrible pay, treatment, etc. This was the reason that he never did anything with TNA, because he'd hated Memphis. Austin was also, as mentioned, not happy with Jarrett's promo knocking the Austin 3:16, because he felt he was disrespecting his gimmick. Another factor was Austin not being a fan of Jarrett's work. He felt Jarrett was too light; Austin once gave a radio interview about this, and said something like he didn't expect Jarrett to hit him full force but to "at least let me know you're in there, son."

The main thing I got from Austin's book was what was mentioned earlier: the shitty pay in Memphis when working for Jerry Jarrett. He said him and a lot of the non-main-eventers had to live off of skinned potatoes and tap water because they were such cheapskates.

Outside of the Batista-Big Show ECW Hammerstein match, this has got to be my favorite fans crapping on performers match.

Edit: Was Batista legit pissed at that ECW crowd? He didn't seem to happy even being there.

For those who didn't see it because I just googled it myself to reminisce:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x177t8_ec...-vs-batista-ecw

And yes, he was legit pissed. The "you both suck" chant started shortly before the bell rang; the mutants weren't intent on giving them a chance. From there the top face on Smackdown received his share of "Same old shit", "change the channel", rampant booing of every offensive move by both combatants, a lovely "Boring" chant, boos of every kickout for making the match continue, and then booing the DQ finish.

After they went off the air, Batista & Big Show hugged just to stick it to the ECW faithful.

I was at that show. It was hilarious.

Big Show seemed to take it all in stride and enjoyed it. Batista doing his usual spots despite getting nuclear heat was great.

I also was at Lesnar v. Goldberg. The crowd HATED Lesnar. He looked so sad.

I don't think Hogan ever appeared on WCW Saturday Night after Nitro started.

I do remember him giving an interview after World War 3 in 1995, but it wasn't at the arena WCW Saturday Night was in.

Wasn't the very first nWo propaganda video shown first on WCW Saturday Night?

Hogan did occasionally wrestle on some of the B shows, but it was infrequent. I think he even wrestled on the first episode or two of "WCW Pro" when that show launched.

Main event guys, in general, didn't wrestle very much on Saturday Night after Nitro started and especially after Thunder started. Though I remember Sid (when he was World Champion) showing up randomly to beat the shit out of The Texas Hangmen and cut a promo on Jeff Jarrett on one of the final episodes shortly before Uncensored 2000.

I don't think Hogan ever appeared on WCW Saturday Night after Nitro started.

I do remember him giving an interview after World War 3 in 1995, but it wasn't at the arena WCW Saturday Night was in.

Wasn't the very first nWo propaganda video shown first on WCW Saturday Night?

Not sure but we shan't forget nWo Saturday Night:

Ah...Bud "Smokey" Greene (Winner of the Michigan Bob Seger Look A Like Contest 1978), we hardly knew ye. I think I'll pick him in the next round of the All Time Wrestling Roster Draft.

Did they ever explain the rules of the Savage/Crush Falls Count Anywhere match at WM X prior to the show? They had the deal where if you were pinned outside, you had 60 seconds to return the ring. Okay, but what happened if you pinned them inside the ring? There's the point in the middle where Savage hits the flying elbow inside, and rather than cover, he pushes him outside under the bottom rope, and then pins him (Vince exclaims "THAT MAKES SENSE!" on commentary). I would've assumed that a pin inside would end the match, unless it would result in just '60 seconds to get to your feet', which probably would be the equivalent of a Last Man Standing match's referee's 10-count, I guess. I'm just curious.

I'm watching SuperBrawl '98 when Scott Steiner turned on Rick and joined the nWo. What's the deal with them using both sets of WCW Tag belts?

Scott Keith was brought up in another thread in this folder and brought to mind a vague recollection of an incident a few years back where Dave Meltzer called him out for attributing some of his BS to him. What was Scooter's reaction?

What was it? I'm sure this, or a similar question has been asked before, but I never actually saw the Shake, Rattle & Roll. It was a swinging neckbreaker, wasn't it?

yes

It was a swinging neck breaker WITH THEATRICS

Here's a fun example: shakerattleroll.gif