TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Guest WrestlingDeacon

Another religious gimmick, the Headbangers used to dress up and wrestle as nuns. I forget the team name, Sisters of Mercy or something like that.

Guest tank_abbott
1> Other than Friar Furgeson and Rev. D-Von, have there been any relegious gimmicks (Not counting Dustin Runnels relegious kick circa 98)

There was Brother Love who was a take off of t.v. evangilists. Reverend Slick, who found religion and denounced his pimp ways to become a member of the clergy (he is a real reverend). Tully Blanchard became a reverend upon his retirement, but has wrestled a couple charity matches since then with a nod to his current occupation. Ted Dibiase briefly ran a christian based fed which included several religious based characters and storylines.

There was Messiah in the XPW, who had a Jesus look going on, and the Alter Boys tag team, but I'm not too sure on what their deals were.

*slaps head* Okay good job...I knew about those gimmicks, I guess I just wasn't thinking clearly...geez.... Maybe I was trying to forget those days....

Didn't Dibiase's fed have matches end with people running in and reading the Bible to heels and they then turned face, or was that just a joke i recall about all that?

NEW QUESTION:

Earthquake ended the WWF careers of Ron Garvin and Hillbilly Jim (and technically Andre the Giant), so other than jobbers, did anyone else have thier careers "end" via Quake? (No Damien Jokes!)

??? No. 2

Anyone remember the Great Wojo (Greg Wojowski?) a territorial champion of the mid-late 80's who challanged any former or current World Champions to face him? I think the Iron Shiek was one of the men who took him up on his challenge. A rookie Scott Steiner fueded with him as well I think.

Edited by tank_abbott

Guest Corey291

I know this was an old question, but here's some clarification though:

MillenniumMan831 wrote: 

Did Mr. Wonderful really fire Bobby Heenan twice? I ask because I thought he only managed him in 1986-87. Did he fire Heenan, take him back, and fire him again in the same segment. Or did Heenan manage Orndorff somewhat from 1984-85?

Cawthon777 wrote:

From the little I've seen of Orndorff pre-WrestleMania 1, he didn't have a manager.

You guys are both right. Orndorff did fire Heenan twice, but there is no record to my knowledge that Heenan was even managing him the first time that he was fired. Here’s the story:

Apparently, Heenan was Orndorff's manager until shortly after Wrestlemania (although, to this day, no one can recall seeing Heenan managing Orndorff between 1984 and 1985.) In any event, Orndorff publicly fired Heenan to declare himself a free man. Orndorff would turn on Hogan and join up with Heenan “again” in 1986. Orndorff would fire Heen a second time in 1987 after Heenan added Rick Rude to the ‘Family’.

-Corey

While watching WrestleMania VII, I believe Gorilla Monsoon said that this was the largest PPV audience in the history of pay-per-view. Is there any legitimacy to that claim, even if they aired it for free to the armed forces overseas (which I'm pretty sure they did)?

Guest nWoScorpion

I'd highly doubt that it was the highest. Didn't WM III buyrate blow away every other PPV ever? I'm probably wrong, since I have no real way of knowing fo' sho'

Guest JHawk
While watching WrestleMania VII, I believe Gorilla Monsoon said that this was the largest PPV audience in the history of pay-per-view. Is there any legitimacy to that claim, even if they aired it for free to the armed forces overseas (which I'm pretty sure they did)?

The number for the WrestleMania III buyrate is higher, but far more homes had PPV capability in 1991, so it's possible. Remember, WrestleMania VII was the first one that wasn't on closed circuit in arenas, which would have inflated how many homes had purchased it.

I remember reading someplace that WrestleMania VII had more buys than any PPV ever prior to the latest boom, but I can't remember the source.

Guest Kahran Ramsus
While watching WrestleMania VII, I believe Gorilla Monsoon said that this was the largest PPV audience in the history of pay-per-view.  Is there any legitimacy to that claim, even if they aired it for free to the armed forces overseas (which I'm pretty sure they did)?

The number for the WrestleMania III buyrate is higher, but far more homes had PPV capability in 1991, so it's possible. Remember, WrestleMania VII was the first one that wasn't on closed circuit in arenas, which would have inflated how many homes had purchased it.

I remember reading someplace that WrestleMania VII had more buys than any PPV ever prior to the latest boom, but I can't remember the source.

It was actually Wrestlemania V that was the highest prior to the Attitude Era.

Guest Mattdotcom

What exactly was the Five-Arm? Its been bothering me since I got an old WCW Terry Taylor trading card (with about five more packs) at a collectible shop in 1998. A description would be very much appreciated.

Guest Corey291

The Fivearm was a move similar to Tito Santana's Flying Jalapeno (as Bobby Heenan named it).

Basically, it wasn't just a normal fore(four)arm. It was a FIVEarm. Sounds pretty corny now that you have the true story behind the name doesn't it?

-Corey

Guest Andy

Hi,

Some more...

Who were

Thunder & Lightning (SuperBrawl IV)

Blade & Steel (Halloween Havoc 90)

Gangstas In Paradise (WWF House Shows, May 1996)

Loch Ness (SuperBrawl VI)

Thanks.

Guest tank_abbott

Loch Ness was Giant Haystacks (?) a legend of European wrestling, I believe

Guest bravesfan

Yes. Alot of his early work is from the Blackpool "circus" peroid, where William Regal also worked. If you watch the Before They Were Superstars DVD with Regal's segment, you'll see some footage of a face(!) Regal taking on Haystacks.

Thunder & Lightning (SuperBrawl IV)

One of them (don't remember which) was Jeff Farmer, aka nWo Sting. The other was some WCW reject from that period.

If these two were known as the "Renegade Warriors", they are known as the Youngbloods, Chris and Mark.

Gangstas In Paradise (WWF House Shows, May 1996)

I'm not sure, but here my two candidates:

1. PG-13, aka Nation of Domination henchmen JC Ice (Jamie Dundee) and Wolfie D.

2. The two men that stalked "Make A Difference" Fatu. (mind you, I didn't follow the WWF in '96.)

The Gangstas in Paradise were in fact the two fat Samoans that attempted to turn Fatu to the dark side.

Thunder and Lightning were pretty big on the indy circuit just prior to going to WCW in late 93. I remember reading about them in PWI.

Guest DeputyHawk

With the mention of Iron Sheik earlier in the thread, what was he up to from 87-91? He had heat on him for getting caught with pot and (more importantly) breaking kayfabe with Hacksaw Duggan in 87, but was he actually fired for it? If so, where did he go before returning as Col Mustafa in 91? I'm thinking the AWA, but I could be wrong..

Guest DeputyHawk
Another religious gimmick, the Headbangers used to dress up and wrestle as nuns. I forget the team name, Sisters of Mercy or something like that.

I have a horrible memory of them being called The Flying Nuns as opposed to the Sisters of Love and/or Mercy, though that may be some sort of acid flashback.

Guest bravesfan
I have a horrible memory of them being called The Flying Nuns as opposed to the Sisters of Love and/or Mercy, though that may be some sort of acid flashback.

They WERE called the Flying Nuns. They were managed by "Brother Love" Tom Pritchard, though I don't remember any mention of them being called the "Sisters of Love" at any time.

They debuted on Shotgun Saturday Night.

Guest Andy

Yes. Alot of his early work is from the Blackpool "circus" peroid, where William Regal also worked. If you watch the Before They Were Superstars DVD with Regal's segment, you'll see some footage of a face(!) Regal taking on Haystacks.

Ah - not having seen SuperBrawl VI, I didn't know Loch Ness was Giant Haystacks.

But being a Brit, I've seen a lot of Giant Haystacks' matches. His bouts against Big Daddy were legendary on Saturday mornings over here in the 1980's.

Thanks.

Guest Mattdotcom
The Fivearm was a move similar to Tito Santana's Flying Jalapeno (as Bobby Heenan named it).

Basically, it wasn't just a normal fore(four)arm. It was a FIVEarm. Sounds pretty corny now that you have the true story behind the name doesn't it?

-Corey

Oh. My. God. Es muy disapointante.

With the mention of Iron Sheik earlier in the thread, what was he up to from 87-91? He had heat on him for getting caught with pot and (more importantly) breaking kayfabe with Hacksaw Duggan in 87, but was he actually fired for it? If so, where did he go before returning as Col Mustafa in 91? I'm thinking the AWA, but I could be wrong..

I'm assuming he was fired alongside Duggan. The only reason Duggan was brought back was because of his performance against Ted Dibiase at the Paul Boesch retirement show in August of 87. I believe the Iron Sheik came back for about 2 weeks in mid 1988.

As far as the Flying Nuns, I think they only had one match - that being their debut against the Godwinns on the 1st episode of Shotgun.

Guest wayzing
With the mention of Iron Sheik earlier in the thread, what was he up to from 87-91?  He had heat on him for getting caught with pot and (more importantly) breaking kayfabe with Hacksaw Duggan in 87, but was he actually fired for it?  If so, where did he go before returning as Col Mustafa in 91?  I'm thinking the AWA, but I could be wrong..

I'm assuming he was fired alongside Duggan. The only reason Duggan was brought back was because of his performance against Ted Dibiase at the Paul Boesch retirement show in August of 87. I believe the Iron Sheik came back for about 2 weeks in mid 1988.

As far as the Flying Nuns, I think they only had one match - that being their debut against the Godwinns on the 1st episode of Shotgun.

Here's a little something if someone thought offices not knowing what they're doing is a new thing. Iron Sheik went to work for Crockett's NWA in 1989. Of course he was pretty useless by then and he wasn't used much. Anyway. NWA had a clause in his contract that stated that either party had to terminate the contract before if expired otherwise it would get renewed automatically.

And of course, they forgot to fire him much to the amusement of anyone who was reading the Observer back then. :D

Hmmm. Looks like I forgot to mention that he was on a guarenteed contract. Doh! Don't you just hate to make mistakes while pointing out that someone screwed up :ph34r:

Edited by wayzing

If i recall correctly the Flying Nuns had two matches in 2 weeks with Shotgun. The first week they were called the Flying Nuns, and the second week they changed the name to Sisters of Love

Guest Corey291

If these two were known as the "Renegade Warriors", they are known as the Youngbloods, Chris and Mark.

Nope. Blade and Steel were known as the Master Blasters. Steel was Al Green and Blade was none other then KEVIN NASH

The Master Blasters were a blatant Road Warrior rip-off, while the Renegade Warriors were a Native American tag team.

In addition to the Iron Sheik working for JCP/WCW in 1989, he also worked very briefly in Japan for the UWFI.

-Corey

Guest jm29195

In response to an earlier question the Squat Team at the 96 Rumble were the headhunters of IWA and ECW 95 'fame'- Foley talks about them in his book...

Guest DeputyHawk

Random question: where did the Bobby Heenan "weasle" thing come from?

Guest Slingshot Suplex
Anyone remember the Great Wojo (Greg Wojowski?) a territorial champion of the mid-late 80's who challanged any former or current World Champions to face him? I think the Iron Shiek was one of the men who took him up on his challenge. A rookie Scott Steiner fueded with him as well I think.

Yeah,he was champ of the WWA that used to run metro Detroit and the Toledo area. Iron Shiek did take him up on the challenge but I don't recall the match result.

And Scott Steiner was a WWA regular very early in his career and had a few feuds. I believe among them was Wojo and Dr.Jerry Graham Jr.

Guest Boo_Bradley

At the IYH following WM 12, Warrior fought GoldDust, but had to subdue his "body guard" 1st, Who played the Body Guard?

I've got one concerning the Iron Sheik: I just got an MSG event tape that has an undercard match between The Great Hossein Arab (Iron Sheik) facing Larry Zybysco (sp?) but I do not have the date of this event because it was a bonus event added on. What time period was this when the Sheik wrestled under this name? I never knew he used it and was surprised to see it.