TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

At Starcade 99 (I think), what was the deal with the finish in the Goldberg-Bret Hart world title match- where Piper comes out and calls for the bell when Goldberg is in the Sharpshooter?

Was it a heel turn for Bret angle?

It was a stupid reference to Montreal.

A lot of people at the time thought that Vince Russo had something to do with Bret getting screwed (whether he did or not, I don't know) and as a result Russo took that idea and put it in the ring - only this time he helps Bret out as a way to repay him for Survivor Series.

The next night on Nitro, Bret was pissed at Russo and demanded a rematch with Goldberg ... in which he turned heel when Nash, Hall, and Jarrett interfered - thus forming the nWo Silver team.

Guest Boo_Bradley

Well here's a quick review:

1> Summer- Fall 89 Did Fred Ottman work in the WWF as Big Steel Man?

2> What was Niedhart being punished for with the "Who" gimmick?

3> I've asked this before I think, but I've already forgotten... What was the catalyst for the Piper/Lawler fued in 94?

Well here's a quick review:

1> Summer- Fall 89 Did Fred Ottman work in the WWF as Big Steel Man?

3> I've asked this before I think, but I've already forgotten... What was the catalyst for the Piper/Lawler fued in 94?

I don't have Ottman working under any other name during that time. He came in as Tugboat Thomas in the fall of that year.

Lawler made fun of some children's hospital in Toronto that Piper was promoting. ...Or something to that effect.

It was a stupid reference to Montreal.

A lot of people at the time thought that Vince Russo had something to do with Bret getting screwed (whether he did or not, I don't know) and as a result Russo took that idea and put it in the ring - only this time he helps Bret out as a way to repay him for Survivor Series.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I heard Russo hated Goldberg and did everything in his power to make sure Goldberg never got his hands on a world title reign again.

Anyway, something I always wondered (since I was there) what was the attendance taken for WM 9?

Guest Ray

Has anyone seen Steve Austin vs. Barry Windham from WCW 92? They had a few matches, I believe.

Were they any good?

When was the last televised time The Undertaker came out to Kid Rock's "American Bad Ass" ?

Guest ToddRoyal

Lex was technically hired by the World Bodybuilding Fed, and Scott Steiner circa 1990's was NOTHING like Scott Steiner today. He was probably still on something, but he was more Benoit-esque than HHH-esque in his rippedness. The real absurd stuff didn't come until his second WCW run.

Guest thrall585

Luger got injured and he left the World Bodybuilding Fed and when he recovered he signed with the WWF. Why did the WWF sign him during the steroid scandal?

Guest Boo_Bradley

Not a ??? but an interesting article about the Saito/Patera McDonalds Police Brawl:

www.gmtoday.com/news/local_stories/October_03/10182003_02.asp

When was the last televised time The Undertaker came out to Kid Rock's "American Bad Ass" ?

He started using Rollin' at Armageddon 2000, so I think the SmackDown! before the ppv was the last time he used it.

Guest Boo_Bradley
What was the story behind the Bob Backlund one day reign in 1994?

Bob had been doing nothing for a year, so Vince turned him heel, figuring he wouldn't get over and his 6'7 320 pd Hoss Papa Shongo could get a boost into the main events again. Bob got over, and Vince decided that 7 Foot Tall Kevin Nash had more star appeal, so Bob won the title so he could transition it to Nash, Bob was Buried for the most part, fueding with Bret, jobbing to Diesel, fueding with Man Mountain Rock, then becoming a Politcal Joke as "Mr. Backlund for president" which the WWF magizine hinted made him a canidate for the WWF President after Jack Tunney retired.

Guest thrall585

Did the Ultimate Warrior and Jake Roberts ever have a singles match before? If so when?

Guest Boo_Bradley

Warrior flaked out before he and Roberts could fued in ring I do believe.

Seems to me he spent most of the Summer of 91 vs Sarge and Taker

Guest wildpegasus
Has anyone seen Steve Austin vs. Barry Windham from WCW 92? They had a few matches, I believe.

Were they any good?

Yes, I remember Whindam vs Austin specifically the TV match from the Omni? I'd have to go back and check but I know their matches were at least good. They weren't epic but still really enjoyable.

Luger got injured and he left the World Bodybuilding Fed and when he recovered he signed with the WWF. Why did the WWF sign him during the steroid scandal?

His no compete clause meant he couldn't sign with the WWF for whatever period of time after jumping from WCW but that didn't mean he couldn't be on WWF TV (WrestleMania VIII). Luger in the WBF was just a way to keep him in the spotlight UNTIL he could step into the ring.

When Luger came in, the trial was more than 2 years away. Why did they sign him? Because he was one of WCW's top stars and the WWF figured they could get some use out of him. The fact that he had a ripped bod and was probably on something (along with just about everyone else on the roster) probably wasn't that big of a deal.

Were they any good?

They traded the TV title during the spring.

I've seen some of their stuff - most notably when Austin regained the title via a belt shot to the head on WCW Worldwide. As with most of the things WCW was putting on at the time, it blew the WWF away in terms of quality ... but that's not saying much.

Guest thrall585
When Luger came in, the trial was more than 2 years away. Why did they sign him? Because he was one of WCW's top stars and the WWF figured they could get some use out of him. The fact that he had a ripped bod and was probably on something (along with just about everyone else on the roster) probably wasn't that big of a deal.

Then why did they fire the Warlord, Sid, the Ultimate Warrior, and the British Bulldog? Cawthon you just ignored these wrestlers I just mentioned when you tried to answer my question, that is just terrible. If you don't have a decent answer for something don't post it please. Also the results from more than 5 years ago belong on this forum while the results from less than 5 years ago can go on the WWE forum. Don't know why you think you are special and can break a rule. Now does anyone know why WWE signed Luger in 1993?

Edited by thrall585

Then why did they fire the Warlord, Sid, the Ultimate Warrior, and the British Bulldog? Cawthon you just ignored these wrestlers I just mentioned when you tried to answer my question, that is just terrible. If you don't have a decent answer for something don't post it please. Also the results from more than 5 years ago belong on this forum while the results from less than 5 years ago can go on the WWE forum. Don't know why you think you are special and can break a rule. Now does anyone know why WWE signed Luger in 1993?

Whoa ... what was that?

Dude, chill out. I don't remember taking any shots at you. I was trying to help you out.

Warlord was let go because he was worthless. I don't buy that Sid was fired over steroids. Warrior left over contract problems ... had that not occured he would have beaten Flair for the title. Bulldog might have been let go over drugs, I don't know.

Guest thrall585

Warlord was let go because "he was worthless" and definitely not because he was on roids? Where did you read that? Sid changed his piss cup with Wipplemen's for a steroid test and was fired. If you don't buy that then what do you buy? Warrior and Bulldog were fired for being caught with roids overseas. Warrior claimed he left due to other reasons but that is simply not true. And where did you read that the Warrior was supposed to beat Flair for the title?

Now the other topic - Why do you post old school results on the WWE forum where this is clearly the forum to do it? Because more people will read it? Then people should post music, love sex and dating, movies, etc stuff on the WWE forum because more people will read it, and then the WWE forum will become minority WWE and majority everything else. You should post the old school results here and if people are interested in them, they will come here.

Edited by thrall585

Okay, you obviously will battle anything I say but here's my two cents worth anyway.

Whether or not the Warlord was on roids or not, his release was imminent. He was facing nothing but jobbers when 1992 began.

Warrior and Bulldog were let go because they were caught with roids overseas? When, at Summer Slam? So they continued to work for three more months, were pushed to the sky, and then Vince got those results back and kicked them both out - fucking up the main event of Survivor Series at the very last minute? Yeah, that's a smart move.

Warrior vs. Flair was planned as a possible main event for the Royal Rumble, with Warrior going over.

As for the other topic, it is WWF-specific and it makes little sense to split up each day into two seperate forums. And for the record, you're the only one that cares.

Speaking of posting in inappropriate forums, if you want to flame me - there's another place to do that.

Guest thrall585

Just because the Warlord was facing jobbers doesn't mean his release was iminent, it could mean he was a lower card guy. I don't know where the British Bulldog and the Ultimate Warrior were found overseas with roids but it was somewhere (not necessarily Summerslam). This was published in the Wrestling Observer in 1992, the one with the cover story of the British Bulldog and the Ultimate Warrior being fired.

"Warrior vs. Flair was planned as a possible main event for the Royal Rumble, with Warrior going over." Flair got injured and had to drop the title and dropped it to Bret. Does anyone know the reason why he dropped it to Bret and not to the Warrior?

A lot of things in this forum is WWF specific, so should it go in the WWE forum too? Nothing wrong with having the old school results go in the old school folder and the more current results go in the WWE folder. I'm not the only one making complaints, others have made complaints about what you are doing in one of your past threads with the results, I guess you didn't read what they said. If I want to flame you I would go to the NHB folder but if I want to criticize what you do, I don't have to go there.

Edited by thrall585

Guest Boo_Bradley
Why did Bob Backlund lose so quickly to Razor Ramon at Wrestlemania?

Bob was a 42 years old and a Former World Champ who Vince had no plans for in the near future (Other than house show matches with Shongo and Kim Chee among others)

Razor was a upper carder who was a "fresh face" and Vince saw $$$

Bob gave Razor the "rub"