TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nanks

NWA Title on the line

Guest Nanks

Tonight in New Zealand - NWA Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett v WWA Heavyweight Champion Sting in a Unification Bout. Hmmmm, interesting. It would seem obvious that Jarrett will just take the WWA title off Sting's hands to free him up possibly for a WWE run, but is there ANY chance whatsoever of this being a springboard for Sting to go to TNA?? It'd be pretty cool, but very, very odd to change champions off NWA TV. Any thoughts??

Guest RedJed

Ideally that would be great, even setting up a rematch at the Anniversary show title for title. But then again having the WWA involved with the company at all isnt really a good thing and we've seen Sting v. Jarrett all too often from back in the WCW days, thus its not really that much of a "draw" type match. I'd love to see Sting show up on TNA though, dont get me wrong.

Jeff Jarrett vs. Sting would definitely draw for TNA's Anniversary show, however, does anyone know what kind of shape Sting is in? I've heard from some people that he is in the best shape of his life.

Guest acnx
Jeff Jarrett vs. Sting would definitely draw for TNA's Anniversary show, however, does anyone know what kind of shape Sting is in?  I've heard from some people that he is in the best shape of his life.

Someone posted three pictures of him in the WWE folder...he's not in the best shape of his life. Far from it. He doesn't look all that bad, and maybe the pictures don't really do him justice, but he is definitely not in the best shape of his life. He looks like he has a gut.

With that said, I would LOVE to see Sting show up in NWATNA. I think he could draw huge, and he would really elevate the Heavyweight Championship scene, which right now, isn't looking to great.

But, I don't see that happening at all. If Jarrett dropped the belt off of TV, that would be awful. I can't see how they could do it...it's just stupid. When you have loyal fans who pay to watch every week, you can't drop your most prestigious belt while none of them are tuned in.

Here's the results from 411:

WWA The Reckoning

Reported by: James Cardno of nzpwi.co.nz

Commentators: Borash and Glen Gilberti

Ring Announcer: David Penzer

5000+ seats were available, and the arena was pretty much sold out, although the hard camera side was pretty sparse. At least 4000 people in attendance.

Show opens with a Maori group (aboriginal culture of New Zealand) performing a haka. Set design is based on New Zealand/Maori culture.

1) Rick Steiner def Mark Mercedes

Mercedes, a talented Australian wrestler from Sydney's IWA federation, cut a heel promo that played on the NZ v Australia rivalry.

Sting Promo

Sting gets some face heat, claiming he's "Back in Black" like our rugby team (rugby being a national game akin to gridiron, the All Blacks being our national side).

2) Midgets

Teo d Puppet and Meatballs

3) Crowbar def Konnan

4) 4 way elimination match - NWA/TNA X-Division and WWA Cruiserweight title both on the line

Chris Sabin d Jerry Lynn, Frankie Kazarian and Johnny Swinger

I've *GOT* to editorialise on this... fucking GREAT match. Some of the spots you had to see to believe... The four wrestlers all linked submission finishers in a chain (Sharpshooter, dragon sleeper, neckbreaker sleeper etc etc)... just... I don't want to editorialise too much, but in person, it was STUNNING. Worth the price of the PPV on its own.

Sabin is now WWA and NWA champ.

5) Joe E Legend d Sabu

Match was scheduled as Shane Douglas v Sabu, but Douglas broke his arm in Australia. Legend and Douglas cut a promo riding down ECW and WWE before the match (the crowd, largely ECW marks were ABSOLUTELY behind Douglas at the start)

6) Bret Hart Promo

Some clever bastard from our forums has already ripped the audio off this... :)

Here's the url:

http://hometown.aol.com.au/bootyfiles29/ha...hart_wwa_nz.wav

7) Jeff Jarrett d Sting to become the unified TNA/WWA champion

Finish of the match saw Legend run in to take out Sting, and Rick Steiner returning to take out Legend. Steiner then hits Sting to give JJ the cover. Great match again, complete with Jarrett strut and LOUD pyros.

James Cardno || nzpwi.co.nz

---------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if they will let Chris Sabin bring both of his belts this week on TNA.

And of course, Jarrett defeats Sting, no surprise there.

Guest Galactic Gigolo

Well, it won't be this week because the PPV hasn't aired.

Guest Nanks

It looks to me that WWA is closing it's doors, they've unified both of their belts with NWA. The PPV isn't airing in the US for ages, so I don't know if they'll ever draw reference to it on TNA, I think this was just a TNA promotion for Australia/NZ. As for Sting, I posted those pics in the WWE folder, and while he may not be in the shape of his life, he's not terribly out of shape and his ring gear doesn't really require for him to be particularly cut. I was at the Melbourne WWA show, I hadn't realised Douglas broke his arm.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I don't know...they should at least show clips of the match on TNA.

Stuff like this (defending the NWA title overseas against a majorly recognized star) is the kind of stuff that puts luster onto that belt.