TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest KanadianKrusty

The One &Only Beer/Booze reviews thread

Guest JangoFett4Hire

Michelob is nasty. I think that Ultra Light crap is the stuff that is leftover in the vats...

I hate American Macrobrews- anything by Anheuser-Busch, Miller or Coors is total caca. Only barely drinkable beer by those three is Killian's Red, which pales in comparison to Harp or Belhaven.

Guest nl5xsk1
Bushmill's Irish Whiskey= ****

Excellent taste, although a little harsh, so it might be offputting to some. The drunk is unlike any I have ever experience. If you ever have the urge to smash up a car or accidentally impregnate someone, this is your whiskey!

Bushmill's over Jameson? I have to disagree ... if I'm going with an Irish whiskey, it's got to be Jameson (either rocks or Jameson & Ginger)

Guest JangoFett4Hire

Yeah, Jameson is probably the best whiskey out there... but a little pricey (hey, i know, you pay for what you get...)

Guest I'm That Damn Zzzzz

2nd batch with Mr Beer:

2 ½ gallons water

2 lb amber dried malt extract

1/2 oz Cascade hops (aroma)

1/2 oz Galena hops (bittering)

1 package Ale yeast

1/4 cup corn sugar (added at end for carbonation)

(Total cost: $9.50)

This batch was left in the fermenter for two weeks, another fermenter for a week, and in bottles for two weeks. (The secret for better beer is more aging.)

Has lots of hop bite, a bit vegatibley, fairly light body and very dark color. Quite drinkable but not chuggable. Some sediment but none more than any home brewed beer. Better than most Milwaulkee and St. Louis mega-brewed beers.

3 stars.

Edit: added cost

Edited by I'm That Damn Zzzzz

Guest Cancer Marney

Lone Star: 5 stars (Texas beer. Superb)

Red Hook: 4 stars (Good as a substitute for LS, which seems to be awfully hard to find on the east coast)

Boddington's: 4 stars (English ale, wonderful but a bit light)

Guinness: 5 stars (Incomparable. Pretty to look at, very pleasing to smell, a delight to taste, and a joy to pour - the anticipation is almost better than the beer)

Johnnie Walker Red: 3 stars (Rough and a bit too dry)

Johnnie Walker Black: 5 stars (Smoooooth)

Johnnie Walker Blue: 4 stars (Too smooth, a little hard to taste, but lovely scent)

Johnnie Walker Gold: 5 stars (Spicy!)

Stolichnaya: 4 stars (Beautiful vodka)

Grey Goose: 3½ stars (Not quite as good as Stoli)

Belvedere: 5 stars (Smoothest, glossiest tastiest vodka I've ever had. Just the feel of the liquid against my mouth makes me want to stretch out and close my eyes, like I'm lying on a bed with silk sheets. At its best chilled, lightly bruised, and poured straight up, with two olives)

Southern Comfort: 3½ stars (Gorgeous stuff, but a little too sweet. Feels like drinking the sun with a spoonful of honey)

Cockburn's '67: 5 stars (Unbelievable port wine. Goes down like water but such a taste! Indescribable. If you find it anywhere, drink the whole bottle)

Dow's '85: 4 stars (Solid, solid port. Any port in a storm, so to speak, but this one's not only easy to find and decently priced, but good too)

Dom Perignon '85: 5 stars (Excellent champagne. Much better than '80, '82, or '84, which are usually far more expensive but nevertheless worse)

Dom Perignon '88 Rose: 5 stars (Easily on a par with the '85, a little more buttery but still light as a feather)

Dom Perignon '90: 4 stars (Acceptable, but not really as good as it should be. Bubbles taste a little too acidic)

Dom Perignon '92: 2 stars (Better than '93, which isn't saying very much. Drink it if you have no alternative)

Dom Perignon '93: 1 star (Bad. Terrible, in fact, for this brand. Stay away)

Dom Perignon '95: 3½ stars (Better than decent, but still somewhat disappointing for the brand)

Louis Roederer Cristal '90: 4 stars (Only halfway good year, but very good champagne. Light, buttery, smooth; everything a champagne should be. Let down only by too many bubbles and a tendency to go flat unusually fast)

Cabernet Sauvignon Estancia 2000: 4 stars (Lovely wine, albeit from California. Still, it's better than France)

More later, as I remember them.

Guest starvenger
Guinness: 5 stars (Incomparable. Pretty to look at, very pleasing to smell, a delight to taste, and a joy to pour - the anticipation is almost better than the beer)

This place in Houston called Amy's Ice Cream had a Guinness Ice Cream today. I had a taste and it was pretty decent. A meal and a dessert rolled into one.

Guest JangoFett4Hire

Marney- which flavor of the Red Hook were you referring to? Red Hook's Blonde Ale is amazing...

Guest Cancer Marney

Extra Special Bitter. I haven't had the Blonde Ale, but I'll have to look it up now.

Guest JangoFett4Hire

Yeah the ESB is good, but I highly recommend the Blonde. Let me know what ya think of it after you try it. And if you DO like the Red Hook Blonde, try (if you can find it) Magic Hat's #9 Ale.

Just had Blonde Ale a couple of nights ago, pretty good. Better than the ESB by a couple of notches. A little while later I had Blue Moon (Belgian ale), and that's approximately on the same level. Thanks for the recommendation, Jango.

Forgot this one earlier.

Woodford Reserve: 5 stars. One of the best bourbons I've ever had, and my favourite for several years now - haven't yet found a reason to be unfaithful. Light, quietly fiery if you sip, pleasantly warm if you swallow, disappears almost as soon as it touches the tongue. Pretty much perfect.

Edit: 45% alcohol by volume.

Edited by Cancer Marney

Drinking an excellent cold sake with my wife right now. It's got all sorts of Japanese stuff on it which I can't read, so I'll just describe the bottle and let you guys look for it if you're so inclined.

Frosted glass bottle with golden screw-on top, white label with light green abstract watercolour print and Japanese characters in front. Three large embossed golden characters in the middle with the words Hakushika in embossed golden English script above and Yamadanishiki Junmai below - the latter of which I believe is the brand name, as it notes on the side that "Yamadanishiki is a registered trademark of the Ozeki Corporation." Three small, embossed dark grey Japanese characters on gold foil field on the left of the larger characters, and some dark grey characters on the right with a small red square field containing four white characters below.

14 to 15% alcohol by volume.

Agent, this one's for you.

Lucifer from Riva Brouwerij: 3½ stars. Had this one last night; it's becoming a habit and not just because of the name (but yes, that's why I tried it originally). Bright sparkling gold with a hard crystalline head. A little too light, which makes it lose one point, but apart from that it has a nice bitter spiciness to it that goes well with not only my cigarettes, but also my cloves and my pipe. Crisp and refreshing after an evening of hard liquor.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

All beer is completely and utterly repugnant.

On the seldom occasions I bother with alcohol, it's one drink while bowling or some such, or else I'm drinking something with as much alcoholic content as possible, to get as drunk as possible, as fast as possible. Hence my penchant for cheap tequila and tabasco sauce. I don't consider alcohol something where spending more money for higher quality is worthwhile. Besides, I like the sloppy sideways drunkenness that only drugstore rotgut can produce.

Oh, UK folks, I have discovered that SPAR now do a 5% stella-esque lager at 8 for £5, and it's NOT VILE~! I'm a made man.

You can get a cheapy version of stella in Aldis, 4 for £2.50. Its good stuff. Also you can big bottles of peach schnapps for a fiver.

:wub: I love Aldis.

Guest Random Hero

Aldi cider is THE DEVIL. I'm pretty sure their vinegar and cider are exactly the same thing. That Uberland shit they used to sell was actually pretty nice, but they stopped selling it for some reason.

Aldi cider is THE DEVIL.  I'm pretty sure their vinegar and cider are exactly the same thing.  That Uberland shit they used to sell was actually pretty nice, but they stopped selling it for some reason.

Is it called Taurus cider? Yeah thats awful, it tastes like cheese or mouldy beef or something, certainly not like cider.

Guest Random Hero
Aldi cider is THE DEVIL.  I'm pretty sure their vinegar and cider are exactly the same thing.  That Uberland shit they used to sell was actually pretty nice, but they stopped selling it for some reason.

Is it called Taurus cider? Yeah thats awful, it tastes like cheese or mouldy beef or something, certainly not like cider.

Yeah Taurus Cider. Urgh *shudders*.

I haven't touched cider for 3 years because of that stuff. It's put me off it completely. Which is a shame because it's so cheap.

Also their version of Baileys, 'Balleycastle' is one to avoid as well.

However their fizzy strawberry laces are some of the best around.

Guest Random Hero

Come to think of it actually, I'm going to start shopping there. The vast majority of their product is at least comparable to shops like Tesco and ASDA. You've just gotta know what stuff to avoid...i.e. CIDER!

Guest Random Hero
Everybody seems to think Aldis is really scabby but its not. It rocks, plus it has a special place in my heart because its the only place i can get served for alcohol.

Heh, my mate still gets asked for I.D in Aldi and he's 20. Poor lad. I forgot about the 'Premier Lager' as well, that's not too shabby if you're short of £.

Guest Random Hero

Could've been worse, you could've bought TAURUS CIDER!!! by mistake. Seriously, that stuff should be surrounded with police tape and warning signs.

Guest Nacho Nixon
Could've been worse, you could've bought TAURUS CIDER!!! by mistake.  Seriously, that stuff should be surrounded with police tape and warning signs.

Come on, everybody loves cider! It is our hero (cider!). There's a weirdness to the buzz that's not like a lot of other drinks. Tonight's project, Growers' Pear Cider, gets two out of five, and only because a two-litre bottle gets one nicely slanted for nine dollars Canadian. I was kind of liking it until I accidentally thought about shampoo, then realized that's exactly what it tasted like.

Guest Nacho Nixon
Hey, what can you people tell me about Absinthe?

They have something they're at least calling absinthe at the LCBO here. What I can tell you about it is that it's EIGHTY dollars for a twenty-sixer, but the label says it actually does have wormwood in it. Whether it's enough to actually make a difference or just like "natural wormwood flavouring" I don't know.