TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheBostonStrangler

Question regarding computers

Guest TheBostonStrangler

I've mentioned in chat a couple times that I'll finally be getting a new computer in the next month or so, which I'll be taking to college with me next year. However, I have no real clue what I want (it seems to change by the day). So, I want feedback from a lot of different sources on what exactly I should do for my computer. Here are the details:

- I'll be going to school about an hour away from home, and living there

- I'll need this computer to last for my four years in college

- I have somewhere between $2000-$2500 to work with. If I buy a desktop, I could probably use the money solely on the computer, and get the monitor seperately.

Now, should I...

A) Get a desktop

B) Get a laptop

or

C) Get one of each

...and what brand should I buy? Should I get a big-name, like a Dell, or should I go to a smaller, custom-building place? Right now, I just need a lot of feedback and ideas, particularly from people who have gone off to college. Thanks.

I'm in the same position as you are. What I've decided to do is buy a custom built one from this site and keep my current monitor. I have a thing against laptops and don't really like using them, which is why I chose this route. You can get an loaded PC for under $2000 from most custom built computer sites, especially if you know exactly what you need. Save the rest and get yourself a good flat-panel monitor. You'll need one if you want to save some space in your college dorm.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

I got a Dell Latitude C600 two years ago when I headed off to college, and it's served me well. Atlas is right in that custom-building is the best way to go in terms of saving cash, but I wouldn't trade my laptop setup at this point.

The first big thing is space. If you can afford a flat-screen monitor then it's not a big deal, but space goes quickly in a dorm room, particularly desk space. The tower takes up room too, and'll probably either be on your desk or by your precious legroom. The laptop's so small that I can shove it out of the way when I need to, and there's room at my feet for my subwoofer instead of the tower. There's also the mobility issue. It wasn't that big a deal this year because I had a single, but there were many times during my first year where I had to go work in a study lounge or in the suite because my roommate was--well, you've heard "Aaron Is Gay." You know the scoop. If you need to pull an all-nighter or even just a solid paper-writing break away from the conveniences of your room, you'll be thanking that laptop.

Also, while it's good to go with a custom-builder, make sure there's some sort of service thing. Buying through Dell or any other big company might not save you money, but it *will* get you great service. One of the hinges attaching the screen to the base of my laptop snapped, and I was able to take it to the school computer store and have them get me a new screen for free in a day because the computer's under warranty for four years. No warranty and no big brand name would have meant getting through finals week $300 poorer and without a computer.

So, I guess that's my pitch for the laptop and The Man. Honestly, you'll be fine whichever route you go. I just know I've had success with my laptop and would imagine you would too.

Guest HVilleThugg

Here are your options, and they totally depend on what you want more...

1. If you by a PC...you can have it absolutely rock! For that kind of money, you can get a PC with any and every thing you could possibly want. And monitors are cheap...and PCs are very, very cheap to upgrade compared to laptops. If you don't need to move around a lot, this would be my recommendation.

2. Laptops are just as powerful as PCs these days, and have WAY cooler features...but they are very, very pricey...even if you really shop around to get the best price. If you're gonna get a Windows-based laptop, DELL is the way to go...but if I were you...I'd go for a Mac. For many many years, I wouldn't touch a Mac...but dammit...OS X is just so fuckiing sweet and the G4 is amazing...AND IT'S OUTDATED NOW! Mac's are top of the line now...but you'll need another grand to afford a good one. I'm saving up for a Titanium G4...but by the time I have the money, it'll be time to go for the next higher up.

Anyway...if you get a laptop, go for Dell or a mad...if you get a PC...get it custom built. Don't go to a store and buy it, or even order it online through some huge corporate crapfactory...have it custom built...or do what I did...get the parts and build it yourself. If you've got an old case or an old computer lying around, you can pick it apart, keeping the things you want, and rebuild it into a ass-whompin, match-writin', game-playin' machine!

Those are my tips to you...

Da "then again, what the fuck do I know...I only have a degree in this shit" H

Guest Thoth

If you're getting a laptop, get an Apple. I'm dead serious. Apple makes the best laptops right now.

I think it will last four years.

Guest TheBostonStrangler

I would consider an Apple, but the compatibility issues are just too great. I'm used to being a PC guy, and suddenly having to buy totally new software, and losing the ability to use a lot of software I already have, isn't up my alley. Still, I do agree that the Apple laptops, hardware-wise, are very, very good.

Guest TheBostonStrangler

What Muzz wants, Muzz gets.

*sells his Celeron 533 for a Celeron 300*

Here we go, baby!