TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

Go on....Criticize me.

Some people here think that I've made some bad calls in the past few days and have questioned them. Even I admit that I've made some bad calls.

Be honest with me...what do you think I've been doing wrong. No one will be punished or anything for speaking their mind.

Dames

Guest MrRant

I think it seems like you are banning people based on how many people concur with it.

As long as you are doing it because YOU feel it is right than I have no issues with it.

Eyebrow is a cocksucker but it seemed like you banned him because a lot of people asked you to.

No one called for it, at least not lately, to my knowledge. The guy was a severe, raging asshole and I don't think anyone will miss him, but I don't know anyone who specifically wanted him banned.

Dames

Guest CanadianChris

I would've banned Eyebrow for the c*** comment too. There are insults, and then there are slurs, and that crossed the line.

Guest Big Poppa Popick

i think clearly delineating that NHB has some, if few , rules and renaming it to a more suitable...

Very Few Holds Barred

might be good

Guest oldschoolwrestling

I think everyone has gotten way too sensitive on this board. NHB used to be like the Wild Wild West. No holds barred, biggest balls wins, loser gets punked the F out. Lately its become the crying room where you go to talk about the person that hurt your feelings.

Guest Dangerous A

I think you've set things just right when it pertains to banning. I think the mods have done a fine job at backing you up as well. This is not to kiss ass or suck up. I find there is a decent balance here. It's your board and this is not a democracy. If you don't want them here, fuck 'em. If I would've been banned when I crossed the line with Banky, then oh well. No big loss. I don't get to post here anymore. The sun is still going to come up in the morning. It isn't the end of the world if someone gets banned for being controversial.

Guest MrRant

Perhaps you should just delete NHB and then just give a 2 strikes rule on flaming. Simple and effective. Then there is no issue with people's definition of No Holds Barred.

That's what I would do anyways.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

I think you're just feeling out how to use your "new-found power," as it were, now that you've made an effort to really solidify rules enforcement around here. Mistakes might be made, and you just have to be careful as you're deciding how to run things. It just feels like a stretch--as far as I know no one's ever even been publicly warned about being sexist. We even have the Church of No Ma'am--which, granted, is a joke, but obviously has misogynistic overtones. I know the rules are in the rules, but it feels like a strangely sudden jump to enforcement, particulary when the finishing blow comes in NHB.

You're not actually going to ban anyone, I think, who really truly deserves to be here, because most people who contribute well to the board don't fuck up. I think I'm only prodding you so that you can get the best set of rules for everyone, and feel absolutely comfortable with how you want to execute them. Which I think you'll get to. Just don't stress about it too much, or you'll tear yourself up over a couple of bans way more than you should.

Guest Kingpk

I think it's because you faltered a bit in the Jubuki and tank_abbot situations, which gave the impression you were talked into pulling the trigger by the more "establshed posters".

That, and the fact that a lot of people probably don't like Banky around here and fear you wouldn't ban him if he slipped up.

Just my .02

I'll tell you one thing, the Establishment thing would have gotten over WORSE now than it did originally, when only a few people (one on permanent PMS it seemed), got miffed.

I think that you are enforcing the rules, Dames. The only time I had any semblance of a problem was when you had moment of self-doubt when you banned whatshisface for the 9/11 comments.

You are the final arbiter of what is passable behavior here since you are the one who pays money out of YOUR pocket to keep this place up, so people can bitch about life in general (me), wrestling (80% of the posters here), or whatever.

I will say that there are those here who will say inflammatory things just to piss people off, and while I find it immature, I am just another person that posts here, and its up to you and mods to take out the trash, if you will.

You set the rules, Dames, you and the mods enforce them, and if people can follow them, bye-bye.

Its that simple. Yoiu draw the line, those stupid enough to cross it willfully get tossed.

Guest evenflowDDT

I have no love lost for the banned, so of course my opinion is biased and invalid, but in both cases the men had received previous warnings and arguably deserved their punishments. It's not like you're banning Boy Scouts here.

Although, on the other hand, I also want to say that the simple utterance of cunt, although being the straw that broke the camels back, is a bit of bull. However this might be because I in particular don't find cunt very offensive because of my gender and the way the word is used in my community. So cunt cunt cunt? Forgive my insolence, I don't miss MEIOF, but I wish there was a "better" thing he could've banned for than that.

Guest BANKYWOOD

Its good. You're cutting off the unneccesary fat. People just complain for the sake of complaining. ie. the thread asking for my head.

People here are just getting more sensitive and bitchy. Don't worry about it Dames.

Guest evenflowDDT
Its good. You're cutting off the unneccesary fat. People just complain for the sake of complaining. ie. the thread asking for my head.

People here are just getting more sensitive and bitchy. Don't worry about it Dames.

The man speaks the truth. You've said it yourself, being a mod is a thankless job (although I'd argue you're by far the most beloved/well-known of all the mods), and there will always be someone who complains somewhere. But really, when there are so many more people who think you're doing the right thing...who gives a fuck? I mean the whole "Big Brother is Watching/DAMEZ = BAN-HAPY HITLAH~!" argument is nullified by the fact that the few people making such comments aren't banned anyway.

Oh, and Hitler's white. Not Hispanic. Key difference there :)

I think you made the right choice. I could honestly care less about the comment directed to me, because I fired back at Eyebrow myself. From what I've seen though, he was persona non grata to many on this site, and the incident with me was, as Dames said, the straw that broke the camel's back.

No need to second guess yourself, Dames. Not everyone is going to be happy with every decision made by yourself, or any of the moderators. The only thing that matters is you know and feel what you're doing is right. In the case of a member like Eyebrow, who seemed to seek attention by being blatantly offensive, it's nothing to worry about.

-Tiff

Guest Downhome

If you are going to ban people for what they say in here (I'm not saying let racial and cultural slurs go however) simply because of what they call people, then you need to just end NHB period.

Maybe set up a Rant forum for people to just go off on things they don't like (like in their life, etc...), instead of a forum with the purpose of flaming and bitching at one another.

If NHB is going to stay, then let people say what they want within reason. What's wrong with calling someone a "cunt" anyway? I've never in my life had anyone to think that it's WAY bad. All it means is either "bitch" or "pussy", is it not? Sure it's extreme to call a woman that, but still, I thought that was ok here.

I'm not saying it's ok, I HATE flaming going on, it just gets to me, but under the current rules I thought it was ok.

I'd delete NHB myself and just have a ranting forum, but that's just me. I don't like flaming going on period, but eh.

Guest Downhome
No need to second guess yourself, Dames. Not everyone is going to be happy with every decision made by yourself, or any of the moderators. The only thing that matters is you know and feel what you're doing is right. In the case of a member like Eyebrow, who seemed to seek attention by being blatantly offensive, it's nothing to worry about.

-Tiff

Exactly, the guy DESERVED to be banned, but the problem is that he deserved it a LONG time ago. We just need to remain constant here, that's all.

Fuck, this forum (NHB) has become not much more than a breeding ground for trolls and the such, so it might be best to just delete it sometime.

Guest AM The Kid

Eagen, please dont drag this into another thread, it's not necessary.

Guest JMA
What's wrong with calling someone a "cunt" anyway? I've never in my life had anyone to think that it's WAY bad. All it means is either "bitch" or "pussy", is it not? Sure it's extreme to call a woman that, but still, I thought that was ok here.

I have to agree with Downhome here.

Guest JMA

All in all, I think Dames does a good job. Although I do think Rob Stone should have been banned sooner. He shouldn't have got the second chance he received, either.

Guest razazteca

Well after reading the Outkast thread I can see why Eyebrow was banned. He went into elitist I am always right and your a dumbass condesending tone taking a simple discussion about rap into a personal flame war.

There was no reason to use cuss words while trying to defend his opinion.

Guest KingOfOldSchool

I won't miss MEIOF, but still. His biggest problem was that he DID make decent points and told it like it was, in my opinion. But he did it in the harshest way possible and was, yes sometimes, a dick about it.

But I'm in the boat that says the straw that broke the camels back should have been much worse than just a petty insult.

Heck, going by the above two points, Marney or fk teale should have been banned long ago.

Anyway, I don't think MEIOF's comment was mean spirited, and I don't think he ever, truly meant any harm by -most- of his comments.

Ban someone for something along the lines of tank or Jubuki's comment, yes, but as I said before.... Don't ban someone for a petty, and silly, name. Especially not when that comment is made in made in NHB. Maybe we should change the name of the folder from No Holds Barred to Some Holds Barred... ;)

Anyway, as it is, and just like before, there is no perfect medium. And even with the outlines firmly in place now, some people are bound to disagree, like I just have.

See, I understand all of your arguments. I've always found the word cunt to be one of the most offensive things you can say to a woman, as do other people that I know.

In my eyes, he called her a cunt first and foremost BECAUSE she's a woman. He could have called her anything else, but to me, calling a girl a cunt is the equivalent of calling me a spic. Judging from his other posts where he belittled women and treated them such as sex objects, I saw him use the word as a sexist slur and not as a mere insult.

As for NHB, it IS a flaming folder. If you have a problem, you take it here or else half of the threads on TSM would turn into petty wars.

I still believe that NHB is JUST a cool name for a flaming folder and that it doesn't mean "anything goes". Like I said before, the only things that I consider to be over the line in NHB are trolling, spamming (of course), racism, bigotry and sexism. Considering that most people don't resort to this, it has never been a problem.

If you guys really want to rename this folder so as to not give off that impression...got any good suggestions?

Dames

Guest KingOfOldSchool

True about his whole issue with women, and I respect your decision no matter what. The whole MEIOF thing is moot anyway. If he wasn't gone for that, he would have been gone sooner or later.

Well, I was only joking about the renaming the folder comment. It DOES give off the vibe that everything goes though. And in all likelyhood, there simply isn't an easy, all-encompassing name that would dictate it's true purpose. It'd probably be a better plan of action to just edit the little sub-heading underneath.

Guest treble charged

Hypothetically speaking, if he had called a male poster a cunt, would he have been banned? Also, is there a word (or a phrase) that a female poster could call a male one that would get her banned?

Just wondering.

Guest Downhome

I still don't see it, to me cunt is just something people call women they think are fucking stupid, like "bitch" or another such word. Nonetheless, I'm glad he's gone.

If you keep this place then keep the name NHB, just start to be more constant so as everyone totally understands what can and can not be said in here.

Guest SP-1

Dames, you've done a fine job. Don't let semantics get in the way of doing what you know is right just because some people don't have a problem with a specific word or insult or something.

Guest Human Fly

I think a name change for this forum would be a good idea. If is is called "No Holds Barred" (and it is) and then posters start being banned for what they say in here it is a slippery slope. The name is misleading. No one opens a dollar store and then prices everything at $50 or higher.