TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Laichzeit

Atari teenage riot

Guest Laichzeit

I was wondering if anyone has heard of Atari Teenage Riot, and if so, what are your thoughts?  Good?  Bad?  My friends told me they were pretty good, but I haven't heard any of their stuff yet.

Ya they suck.....you can get there songs at audiogalxy.....my band is better. Are lead singer Jon is very good and his voice has an awesome pitch to it.

Guest Kinetic

They're great, if you like meaningless noise and vague political tracts.  Come to think of it, I just described Rage Against The Machine.  Buy their stuff instead, I guess.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Hmm...IkonBoard, eh? Hmm...

I like 'em. I've heard 2 songs by them ("No Remorse (I Wanna Die)" w/ Slayer, and some other song where the video was in an office building where everybody had static-TV for faces), and I liked 'em.

Ya right they are just whinin bitches......they never gone through real porblems....they think there badasses but if they come to my neck of the wood they will see that they are nothin special.

Guest Kinetic

All right...this has nothing to do with Atari Teenage Riot or music at all, but why the #### can't I get my personal photo to work?  Anyone else having trouble with this?

Guest Nevermortal

I've only heard one song of theirs.. "Start the Riot" it was very catchy, but too much of it annoys me after a while.

Guest Laichzeit

Thanks for your opinions.  I downloaded a couple of their songs, and I'm not really impressed.

Guest areacode212

Ah, the German Rage Against the Machine. I actually bought their second album, and thought it was OK, but I don't listen to it much anymore. Some of their songs are kind of catchy ("Atari Teenage Riot" is probably their best song), but you have to listen to them over and over to really enjoy them.

Guest spliffstar

well, I thought they were pretty catchy in an aggro sort of way.  Sucks that their lead singer killed himself not too long ago.

Guest Anorak

Alex Empire was the name of their lead singer wasn't it? I never heard about him comitting suicide.

Guest spliffstar

m'bad...it was some dude in the band named "carl crack"  apparently the guy was really wacked out before the end.  

Not the singer, though.

I never liked Atari Teenage Ript much. If I wanted to listen to noisy electronic music, I'd listen to Merzbow or Kid606, at least they are good.

That out of the way, Alec Empire's solo stuff is pretty cool

Atari Teenage Riot has a song called Raverbashing, which makes them good.

That is pretty cool (I hate ravers with a fucking passion)

kid606 is more interesting than good. His buddy Cex is way better from a listening standpoint, kid606 is more of an artist than a musician. And ironically, Merzbow's best work was Alec Empire vs Merzbow.

Oh hey, as a kid606 fan you'll appreciate this. Once on this board I was praising his remix of "Straight Outta Compton" and somebody said taking an existing song and adding a "BOOM BOOM dance beat" had no artistic merit. They also called him DJ Dumbass68.

Anyway, I agree with lovecraft. You should listen to Alec Empire's solo albums to appreciate ATR. Helps to put it in context. They're really not a lot like Rage Against the Machine either. I expected better of Kinetic.

And ironically, Merzbow's best work was Alec Empire vs Merzbow.

Actually, I think "Space Metalizer" and "Music for Bandage Performance 1&2" are his best work. I guess in order to really appreciate Merzbow, you need to appreciate the noise genre. I think the reason I like Merzbow is because he brings different aspects to what he does (i.e. usng old moog synthesizers)

The problem with noise as a genre is the same problem I had with minimalism. There's something to be appreciated there, but it's hard to tell what it is. What is good noise supposed to sound like? It's just supposed to be interesting. If you drop the microphone in a blender is that a great record? Not exactly... and if it is, anyone could do it. It's strength is in the concept. That's why I see it as more art than music.

You like Matmos? I don't think anyone has used a wider range of aural sources and influences than them.

The problem with noise as a genre is the same problem I had with minimalism. There's something to be appreciated there, but it's hard to tell what it is. What is good noise supposed to sound like? It's just supposed to be interesting. If you drop the microphone in a blender is that a great record? Not exactly... and if it is, anyone could do it. It's strength is in the concept. That's why I see it as more art than music.

You like Matmos? I don't think anyone has used a wider range of aural sources and influences than them.

I own the Matmos album "A Chance To Cut"

As far as noise goes, it's ok that you don't like it. Most people don't. If anything, it's not really music; it's more of the antithesis of music, or using sound against itself,to create a wholly difficult listening experience. IMO, it's one of the most truly "punk" things in existence

I do like it. In fact I love it. I've worked with it myself... problem was finding anyone to listen to it. I had one song that several people found themselves incapable of listening to. After a few seconds they would turn it off and say "I can't, it hurts." Once I had achieved that, I was satisfied with my noise experimentation and moved on to other things.

What you said about it not being music is what I was saying, and as you apparently like it, the attitude does not necesarily indicate dislike. My other point was that, unlike most music, you can fake it. You're not actually constructing anything of any meaning, or creating a difficult listening experience, but quite literally just making noise. To do this is a tongue in cheek, self-referential way is what I think kid606 usually does.