TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest areacode212

What tpbs would you like to see made?

Guest areacode212

As some of you may remember, this was a hot thread back in the ezboard days. Since I was sick of seeing the G.I. Joe thread listed on the main page for THREE DAYS, I thought I'd bring it back from the dead.

So..are there any particular runs or limited series that you would like to see in TPB format? DC has just announced that they're TPBing the remainder of Morrison's Animal Man (to help promote his The Filth series, out in June). I've never read any of these issues, though people have been telling me to check them out for years. His Flex Mentallo series also sounds interesting, but there's some kind of legal dispute with Charles Atlas's estate (yes, the bodybuilder), since the series is apparently a parody of those old "that guy keeps kicking sand in my face!" ads.

A collection of Peter David's Spider-Man stuff from the 80s would be nice to have.

Guest Sassquatch

Not to stroke my ego, but I was the person who started this thread.

; )

But yeah, this thread was hot and was one of my favorite threads in the comic book forum.  The number of responses that it got had some pretty great TPB requests and it showed that a lot of people (besides the usual suspects) knew a lot of about comics.

It was fun.

I'll try to remember what I originally posted as my wish list and I'll post them later.

Guest starvenger

I think that anything with the full and complete history of the Valiant Universe would be nice :)

Guest pochorenella

Yeah, I remember this topic alright. Here are my ideas:

Walt Simonson Thor Visionaries vol.2 (I'm not sure if Sassquatch or Judas said it's not happening but I can dream, right?)

The Avengers vs. Nefaria storyarc (when Nefaria had superpowers and Cap and Iron Man came to blows), all the way 'till Iron Man subconciously reconstructs Ultron.

The Avengers Korvac Saga (It's coming, but it's delayed)

The Galactus Trilogy from FF in a color-restored format.

Hey Sassquatch, the Avengers/Defenders TPB was supposed to come out last week, do you have it? I have it on pre-order at Amazon but it's not coming yet.

I'll think of some more later.

Peace.

Guest Sassquatch

I think this forum is dying (dead?) but regardless of that, I'm gonna post my wish list.

OH YEAH!

Incredible Hulk 272-300: In this story, the Bruce Banner takes over the Hulk's mind and the Hulk becomes smart.  It is an awesome story.  The Hulk is given a Presidential pardon for his past actions against the world and Bruce starts his life over while being in control of the Hulk.  But just as life is getting good for Bruce, shit starts happening to him.  A bunch of thing's start happening to Bruce that slowly causes him to lose his control of the Hulk.  It all leads up to a huge battle royal in ish #300 against the Avengers, the FF, and just about every other super hero around at the time.  Good stuff.

Iron Man 120-128: This is the famous "Demon in a Bottle" story that has been done to death in Iron Man over the years.  In this story, Tony meets his soon to be arch nemesis Justin Hammer who makes one hell of a debut.  The ramifications of Hammer's attack against Iron Man causes him to lose his confidence in himself and his being Iron Man.  Tony starts drinking and later becomes a full-blown alcoholic.  This story also is the reason that I fell in love with Bethany Cabe who was Tony's bodyguard and future lover after this story.  She plays good cop to Tony's bad cop and helps Tony overcome his alcohol addiction.  Great story.

Jim Starlin's runs on Captain Marvel and Adam Warlock: This is the stuff that made Starlin a legend in the comic industry.  Starlin was able to revive two dying characters that nobody gave a damn about and turned them into sales chart toppers.  If you ever really wanted to see a TRUE bad ass Thanos, then Starlin is the man to turn to.  Thanos is on the verge of ruling the world and has defeated the Avengers and anyone else that got in his way.  It all comes down to Captain Marvel and Thanos.  Did I mention that Thanos has the cosmic cube and is all-powerful?  And Starlin was able to turn a loser like the Warlock, into a cult hero.

Strange Adventures 205-216: In ish #205, the Deadman from DC is introduced.  The legendary Neal Adams because it was all draws the other reason that this is notable.  This was some of Adams greatest work and the Deadman saga is a great read as well.

Batman 232, 243, 244; Detective Comics 406-413: This is the storyline that Batman the Animated Series used to introduce Ra's Al Ghul which is straight out of the comic books I just listed.  This was all drawn by the famous Neal Adams who is one of the greatest comic book artist' of all time.  If you liked the cartoon, then you will love the comic book version.

Superman 233-243: Denny O'Neil was the writer of this story.  Superman loses about half of his power and all kryptonite is gone from Earth.  Superman is forced to battle himself in a fight to the death and just as he thinks that he has won, Supes is forced to go another round with an alien warlord who is fresh and healthy, while Supes has only half of his original power and is exhausted from a battle with his twin.  Great story.

That about does it for now.  Judas will probably update the status of these TPB's possible future.  I might come back and post other wish list ideas, but for now, I'm done.

And poch, I don't have the Defedners TPB yet, but I will hopefully get it when it comes out.  And yes, it was me who suggested that Marvel reprint Walt Simonson's run on Thor, but as Judas said earlier, that has pretty much been shot to hell thanks to politics from both sides.

Later.

Guest Judas14
Strange Adventures 205-216: In ish #205, the Deadman from DC is introduced.  The legendary Neal Adams because it was all draws the other reason that this is notable.  This was some of Adams greatest work and the Deadman saga is a great read as well.

Batman 232, 243, 244; Detective Comics 406-413: This is the storyline that Batman the Animated Series used to introduce Ra's Al Ghul which is straight out of the comic books I just listed.  This was all drawn by the famous Neal Adams who is one of the greatest comic book artist' of all time.  If you liked the cartoon, then you will love the comic book version.

Both are available in TPB format. The Ra's Al Ghul stories are available in a relatively inexpensive TPB while the Deadman stories were recently released as a part of DC's Hardcover line for the outrageous sum of $75.....

Guest pochorenella

Since Sassquatch brought up Iron Man, I'd also like to see something like an Iron Man Visionaries by Gene Colan with those Tales of Suspense sories with Whiplash, the Maggia and such.

Also a re-release of the Iron Man vs. Doctor Doom TPB with the time travel stories.

And lastly, a re-release of the Death's Head II mini-series.

I think we should start a campaign to pressure Marvel in releasing Walt Simonson Thor Visionaries vol.2. I'm sure every comic fan wants that Surtur saga collected. Frank Miller is already on Visionaries vol.3, why not Simonson?

Judas and Sassquatch, since you two are the most expert in comics on the board, I believe it's up to you to keep it alive.

Peace.

Guest areacode212

I agree about the Simonson Thor. My friend bought those original Surtur issues back when we were in elementary school, and I wish I had stolen them from him. Considering that he kept a bunch of *my* comics after I transferred to another school, it's only fair, isn't it? The moment where Loki, Thor and Odin all team up was great!

Anyone know how well the first one sold? Tom Brevoort made a comment about the Fantastic Four (Byrne) Visionaries that it "didn't sell overwhelmingly well" (and Byrne and all his fans on their little message board jumped on top of that comment for days), so they aren't planning on making a 2nd one.

What were the politics involved with the Thor TPBs again? BTW, Simonson posts a lot in the Orion message board on http://www.comicboards.com, and he seems to be a pretty nice guy (at least from what I've seen...I don't give two shits about Orion so I hardly go there). If anyone ever feels like asking him anything, they can head over there.

Guest Sassquatch

The Surtur Saga from the Thor comics was a Top 10-15 seller back in the day from what I have read and heard.

I do not know how well the Thor: Visonaries TPB sold, but I can tell you this:  When I bought it, that was the last one I ever saw on the racks of my local comic book store.  Everywhere I go, the guys tell me it's sold out.  My shop owner friends have told me that the Visonaries TPB has sold very well and that if another one would have come out, it probably would have sold out as well.

I don't feel like looking for the reasons to Marvel/Walt's drama over the Visionaries TPB and I leave that to Judas or anyone else who feels like digging up info.

My next wish list...

A SHITLOAD of TPB's with issues of Batman 328-403, and Detective Comics 495-570:  If you ever wondered where Paul Dini and the boys for Batman the Animated Series got their stories for the cartoon series, here you go.  Almost every episode (sans the ones they made on their own) come from this monster run of comics.  I spent a long time trying to buy all of these issues and it was worth all the money and time.  This is for the most part, all good.  The problem I had with this run, is that each issue of Batman would conitue it's story into Detective Comics which made it a bitch to continue reading what happened in the next part of the story since I was always missing an issue of either one that would have the beginning, middle, or end to the story running in Batman.  Superman tried it in the 80's, but Julius Schwartz hated the idea and DC went back to publishing stories of Superman that stayed in their respective titles.  This run has some classic stories in it that are HIGHLY recommended.

Too bad the new Supes staff from 2000 couldn't keep their promise to do the same thing...

Guest pochorenella
Anyone know how well the first one sold? Tom Brevoort made a comment about the Fantastic Four (Byrne) Visionaries that it "didn't sell overwhelmingly well" (and Byrne and all his fans on their little message board jumped on top of that comment for days), so they aren't planning on making a 2nd one.

I had to look long and hard for a Simonson Thor Visionaries vol. 1. I had it ordered on buy.com for months and finally just gave up until I found it on a comic shop and I believe it was the last copy. I have a feeling it sold really well.

I also have the Byrne FF Visionaries and it's very good, and I can't believe there's no Vol.2 coming either. If you have the Trial of Galactus TPB that's another great book from Byrne's FF run.

Peace.

A few New Mutants Essentials volumes would be great, as would be a collection of the last year's Marvelvision X-Men annuals. A Master of Kung Fu TPB would also be nice, since there's a MAX series coming out soon, and the synergy would be there. And, of course, there's always Miracleman...

Guest Sassquatch

All right, I've got some more ideas...

Action Comics 528-530, 544-545, and Superman 384-385: In the first three issues of Action Comics I mentioned, Superman fights Brainiac in a battle to death and the survival of Earth is at stake.  This is the prelude to the next issues I mentioned.  In Action #544, after getting an ass whooping from Supes, Luthor returns to his planet of Lexor, which he rules.  Superman follows Luthor to Lexor and the two do battle.  Luthor decides to up the ante and unveils his newly designed war suit (the full body green/purple one he wore in Crisis).  Things go horribly wrong for Luthor and he ends up paying a terrible price for his evil doings and desire to kill Superman.  The Superman issues are the other parts to the Luthor/Superman saga from Action #544.  In the same issue, it is found out that Brainiac survived his battle with Superman in the earlier mentioned issues, and Brainiac wants revenge.  But Brainiac goes through a strange regeneration process and he comes out of it looking like a metallic cyborg (the same look he had in Crisis).  Brainiac also goes through a personality change and becomes a murderer instead of just a collector of worlds.  Supes goes to fight Brainiac after getting a distress signal from another world.  Superman sees Brainiac's ship and goes after him but instead of beating Brainiac, Supes gets his ass handed to him and is at Brainiac's mercy.  Good stuff, which was few and far during Pre-Crisis Superman.

Guest teke184

1. Harbinger:  issues 5+6+7 (issues after the first TPB, which include Torque's death and its aftermath) , 11+12 (intro of HARD Corps), 14+15+16 (Renegades vs. Ax vs. Harada and the Eggbreakers, intro of Stronghold and Livewire), 23+24+25 (final days of the original series, as issue 26 is a reboot that sees an amnesiac Zeppelin join Harada's Eggbreaker misfit squad)

2. Reissue of the Unity Saga by Valiant  (This was a set of 2 TPBs covering about 18 issues, but has been OOP for probably 7 or 8 years)

3. HARD Corps: Any issues, although I'd prefer ones before about #13 or so as that is when the Dropped Plotlines of DOOM first show up.

4. Some form of Valiant comic sampler that includes RAI 0.

Guest pochorenella

Hey, Sassquatch, since you're a Batman fan, how about this for a TPB idea: Remember that storyarc where this guy Hugo Strange guessed Batman's secret ID and wanted to sell it to the highest bidder? He even impersonated Bruce Wayne for a while until Robin and ALfred(!!) came to his rescue.

That would be a great TPB if you ask me!!

Peace.

Staying with the Caped Crusader, a collection of Devin Grayson's Gotham Knights or Greg Rucka's Detective work would definitely be welcome on my end. Unless I their releases. Then they're still welcome, but don't exactly fit here.

Guest Sassquatch

The story that you're talking about poch, never really happened.  When Hugo Strange first appeared (Detective Comics #36) he never did guess Batman identity or ran a health clinic that would reveal people's most inner and darkest secrets.

When Hugo Strange returned in the pages of Detective Comics after a near 30 years absence in issue #471, that was when Strange found out Batman's identity.  It was not exactly like the TV episode, but the idea was there.  Issues #469-479 has already been made into a TPB so if you like the BTAS episode, then you will love the comic book version of that.  That is a TPB that I would HIGHLY recommend.  Marshall Rogers is the artist of that run and his art was/is amazing.  He was the Second Coming of Neal Adams for Batman when Rogers first joined on.  He was hot and his run on Detective Comics is STILL talked about.  This run also had the famous "Joker Fish" story (issues #474-475) that Paul Dini and the boys used for their cartoon.

Good stuff.

The Hugo Strange story also continues in Batman #354-356 and Detective Comics #522-524 where Hugo returns after being thought dead.  He impersonates Batman and causes trouble between Catwoman and Batman, which leads to a HUGE fight between them.  It all comes to a head when Batman comes face to face with Hugo who has trained himself to be a better fighter than Batman.  Or so he thinks.

More great late 70's/early 80's goodness from Batman.

Guest areacode212

They did release one TPB of Rucka Detective work. I believe it contained the Ra's Al Ghul arc, and maybe the Poison Ivy one (which ruled). Hopefully, they'll come out with more.

Guest pochorenella
The story that you're talking about poch, never really happened.  When Hugo Strange first appeared (Detective Comics #36) he never did guess Batman identity or ran a health clinic that would reveal people's most inner and darkest secrets.

Forgive my ignorance, Sassquatch. but I'm don't really understand what you mean when you say that story never really happened. It's because it's pre-Crisis? I believe it was early to mid 70s when it happened, I had the comics, and Strange seemingly was killed at the end so Bats secret was safe. I remember being quite shocked by his death at the hands of that fat man I don't even remember his name. Are those #469-#479? I don't remember the artist either, but it was a Adams-esque style. I'm not really following Batman now, so I never read Strange's return stories, but I did see the Animated episode and it was quite good.

Guest pochorenella

BTW, I also remember that "Joker Fish" story, I also had those comics, and the cover with JOker holding the fish like guns its an old favorite of mine.

I remember wathching the first Batman movie and thinking to myself "that story is so much like that comic I had years ago!"

What the hell did I do with those old comics? Beats me.

Peace.

Guest Sassquatch

"Forgive my ignorance, Sassquatch. But I'm don't really understand what you mean when you say that story never really happened."

What I meant is that the comic book version of Hugo's 1st appearance (Detective Comics #36) was not the same as when he made his first cartoon appearance in BTAS.  Hugo never ran a health clinic when he made his first appearance in the Detective Comics.  Paul Dini and the boys just combined different Hugo Strange stories and made into the episode of Batman that you saw with Hugo.  That's what I meant when I said that the BTAS episode was nothing like the first appearance of Hugo in the comics.

Sorry for any confusion.

"It's because it's pre-Crisis? I believe it was early to mid 70s when it happened, I had the comics, and Strange seemingly was killed at the end so Bats secret was safe. I remember being quite shocked by his death at the hands of that fat man I don't even remember his name. Are those #469-#479?"

The "fat man" was Rupert Thorn, who was a crime boss in the comic just like he was in the cartoon.  And yes, the story did take place in the Detective Comics run I mentioned (ish #473 is when Hugo was killed by Rupert's men after having failed Thorn in defeating Batman).

Guest areacode212

I think some of those Hugo Strange/Rupert Thorn stories appear in the "Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told" and/or the "Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told" TPBs. I'm not sure if these are still in print, though. And if they ever did a "Batman in the Seventies" TPB, I'm sure a few of them are in there (I'd be surprised if they weren't).

There was on story in the Greatest Bat Man stories ever told where Strange and Thorn made an appearance, but it was as part of a subplot that wasn't revisited in the other stories.

Guest Sassquatch

Action Comics #525 - #546

Marv Wolfman.

Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis Supes fans know this man's name well.

Superman was in a terrible slump creativly and sales wise throughout the '70's to mid '80's. But through all the shitty stories in Superman and Action Comics, Marv's run on Action Comics stands alone. Marv helped give Superman a facelift somewhat in this run. He helped introduce fans to new super villains such as Neutron, Lord Satanis, H.I.V.E. and also helped re-introduce and revamp old stale villains such Lex Luthor and Brainiac. Marv stopped having Superman star in throwaway stories and started writing stories that meant something and had long term value. Marv helped give Superman some direction in his short run on Action Comics and the sales increase was evident. If Pre-Crisis fans want something to be proud of Superman, then this is the run to talk about. Good stuff all around.

Guest pochorenella

I stand by my previous petitions, namely:

Walt Simonson Thor Visionaries vol. 2 (Surtur Saga). Dammit, Marvel, people want this made NOW!!!

John Byrne FF Visionaries vol. 2 and 3

Avengers Korvac Saga (still delayed)

Avengers Count Nefaria Saga

Color-restored, non-hardcover FF Galactus Trilogy

Maybe some Jack Kirby work from DC, but not that B/W crap, but color-restored versions for the Fourth World Saga and Mr. Miracle

And while Miracleman (or Marvelman) is a hot topic here on the board as of late, I want a non expensive restored TPB edition, so I don't have to pay eight gazillion dollars for a single issue.

Guest HellSpawn

Right now...

Spider-man: PERCEPTIONS

X-Force/new Warriors Crossover... I cant remember the exact #, i think was called "Time and time again" or something like that.

Spawn: Bloodfeud.

Guest Sassquatch

Wonder Woman #178 - #204

This is the run that made Wonder Woman infamous before the "Great Revamp of '86" that is known as the Crisis on Infinite Earth’s. The premise is for the run was that Wonder Woman's mom Hippolyte gave Wondy the ultimatum of either joining her in at Paradise Island or leaving "man's world" forever. Or she could stay where she was but would be forced to give up her powers and be a normal person. Diana chose the latter and she became a powerless human being. Diana soon met up with an old china man named I-Ching who taught Diana karate and how to hold her own in a fight. Diana at her peak could have *probably* held Batman to a standstill because she was that damn good after I-Ching was finished teaching her. The one thing that most people goof on about the book is how I-Ching told Diana that if she rubbed her hands in rice that she could break anything with a chop. Besides that little goofy idea, the run itself is fucking solid. Diana's long time love/crush Steve Trevor is captured by the debuting super villain Dr.Cyber who would go on to become one of the Pre-Crisis Wonder Woman's most persistent adversary's. Diana travels all over the globe in this run to set things right and to hunt down the evil Dr.Cyber who gave Diana a very personal blow when she had Steve Trevor murdered before her very eyes. If fans ever wanted to see just how much DC catered to the masses with some of their books during the late '60's/early '70's culture renaissance, then look no further. This run epitomized the styles of that time period along with the mood and attitude of the people. This run boosted Wonder Woman sales the FUCK up and with good reason. Unlike her male counterpart Superman who was getting *killed* in sales, fans were able to relate to Wondy thanks to this run and made her seem more human. The female fans were also at an all time high by reading Wonder Woman around this time due to Wondy's ass kickin ways. I love this run and can not say enough about it. It was like James Bond meets Alias. This run gets a HUGE recommendation from me to go out and track as well. But for now, I wish DC would someday make this run into a TPB for all the fans who do not know the greatness that is Karate Diana Prince. Mike Sekowsky and Dick Giordano also became my Gods and yours during this run and Mike's art is just so retro and sweet to look at as well. Dicky is the man who helped make Batman one of the most bitchin DC comics of the early/mid '80's while nearly every other major DC character was in the gutter creatively.

Guest gthureson

Doctor f'ing Strange.

I don't really care which series it is. I have smatterings of the 2nd Strange Tales, his 2nd solo series (Sorceror Supreme) and an old novel format collection, but I would love if they released a bunch of Doc in TPB's.

Guest Sassquatch

Gthureson, you will be happy to know that Marvel has released a Marvel Visionaries TPB of Dr.Strange's solo late '60's run which is awesome stuff.

I believe Marvel will also be releasing a TPB with his 2nd series run which was a pretty damn good series.