TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Toshiaki Koala

Superman 64 Review

Throughout the ages, there have been many works of art. Most have been forgotten. There are some, however, that stand above the others, that do not fade with time but grow in luminosity and brilliance until they outshine all human achievents except each other. These enduring masterpieces preserve, define, and even shape the times during which they are created.

Now, however, the geniuses known collectively as "Titus" have crafted a masterwork so stunning, so beautiful, and so revealing that it stands as a monument for all time, a work of such truth and all-encompassing brilliance that it will forever shine and enlighten, an enduring testament to the awesome power of the human mind. It is the very distillation of that quicksilver essence we call "genius".

I really don't know where to begin. I am hesitant to label it a masterpiece, as doing so would almost be an insult. So many lesser works have gone before it and been called masterpieces that to do so here would almost diminish, in our eyes and minds, its majesty. When placed next to, say, the Mona Lisa, it is as if Da Vinci had placed the canvas on the floor, removed his trousers, squatted, and (I hate to be vulgar) released his bowels into the air.

The story is one of the most truthful and genuinely heartfelt that I have ever experienced (not seen, experienced). The brilliant and wicked Lex Luthor (whose genius seems telescoped from that of the team behind this game), has trapped Superman in a virtual prison resembling the city of Metropolis, and the Man of Steel must call on all of his resources to escape. This sounds crude on the page, I know, but it is absolutely beautiful when played. In the masterful first scene, the face of Luthor is seen not clearly as one would expect in a lesser work, but as a blurred, jagged, garbled mess resembling a pizza that a train has run over multiple times. This is a reflection of Superman's inner being. Who is this man? he muses. We, along with Superman, see his physical self but not his true person. This Luthor hides behind his mask of brilliance. When Superman asks, Who is Luthor, we ask, Who are any of us?

This feeling of mystery and wonderment continues throughout the game. The minions of Luthor are seen not as tangible human figures but as gossamer, shadow-like half-entities. We can't see where they end and the world begins. Superman himself faces this problem, but on many more layers. The world around him is hidden along with its denizens. Through the power of Kryptonite, Luthor has cast an ethereal green fog over the landscape, shrouding it in awe and mystery. What lurks in the depths, we wonder along with Superman. This is a game whose own depths surpass such musings.

The conclusion of the game is as beautiful and heartrending as any I have ever experienced (again, that word). As Superman engages in a final, epic showdown with a grainy, washed-out amalgam of pixels representing an alien thug, a loud screech is heard. The colors on the screen are inverted, the motion slows and finally stops. All of this time, our hero has fought, hoping for a conclusive end to his suffering. He finds nothing of the sort. He is disappointed, and so are we. But deep down we know that his tribulations were anything but futile.

Even the manual is filled with lush layers of brilliance. We are promised the powers of X-Ray vision, yet they are found nowhere in the actual game. Our frustration at this reverberates through the halls of our souls, and through the shimmering veil of doubt Superman has cast over himself.

After playing this, I'm really starting to think that they should stop making games altogether. When placed side by side with this epic masterwork, even the most brilliant of games seem shallow, empty and heartless. Continuing the comparison, they are a frozen puddle. Superman, on the other hand, is a warm, living spring of beauty and wonder. It has so many layers, each one containing its own treats and enjoyment. I would say it's like a good book, but what book has ever been this good?

Edited by Spine Upon the Pine

Guest RenegadeX28

Wow, I remember actually being hyped for that game. I rented the game one day after school, being hyped. I played for a bit....the flying was cool and all.........but then...........the realization. My other friend came over, and we both died laughing at how bad this game was. This is the kind of stuff you would be punished with in an eternity in hell!

Guest caboose
Throughout the ages, there have been many works of art. Most have been forgotten. There are some, however, that stand above the others, that do not fade with time but grow in luminosity and brilliance until they outshine all human achievents except each other. These enduring masterpieces preserve, define, and even shape the times during which they are created.

Now, however, the geniuses known collectively as "Titus" have crafted a masterwork so stunning, so beautiful, and so revealing that it stands as a monument for all time, a work of such truth and all-encompassing brilliance that it will forever shine and enlighten, an enduring testament to the awesome power of the human mind. It is the very distillation of that quicksilver essence we call "genius".

I really don't know where to begin. I am hesitant to label it a masterpiece, as doing so would almost be an insult. So many lesser works have gone before it and been called masterpieces that to do so here would almost diminish, in our eyes and minds, its majesty. When placed next to, say, the Mona Lisa, it is as if Da Vinci had placed the canvas on the floor, removed his trousers, squatted, and (I hate to be vulgar) released his bowels into the air.

The story is one of the most truthful and genuinely heartfelt that I have ever experienced (not seen, experienced). The brilliant and wicked Lex Luthor (whose genius seems telescoped from that of the team behind this game), has trapped Superman in a virtual prison resembling the city of Metropolis, and the Man of Steel must call on all of his resources to escape. This sounds crude on the page, I know, but it is absolutely beautiful when played. In the masterful first scene, the face of Luthor is seen not clearly as one would expect in a lesser work, but as a blurred, jagged, garbled mess resembling a pizza that a train has run over multiple times. This is a reflection of Superman's inner being. Who is this man? he muses. We, along with Superman, see his physical self but not his true person. This Luthor hides behind his mask of brilliance. When Superman asks, Who is Luthor, we ask, Who are any of us?

This feeling of mystery and wonderment continues throughout the game. The minions of Luthor are seen not as tangible human figures but as gossamer, shadow-like half-entities. We can't see where they end and the world begins. Superman himself faces this problem, but on many more layers. The world around him is hidden along with its denizens. Through the power of Kryptonite, Luthor has cast an ethereal green fog over the landscape, shrouding it in awe and mystery. What lurks in the depths, we wonder along with Superman. This is a game whose own depths surpass such musings.

The conclusion of the game is as beautiful and heartrending as any I have ever experienced (again, that word). As Superman engages in a final, epic showdown with a grainy, washed-out amalgam of pixels representing an alien thug, a loud screech is heard. The colors on the screen are inverted, the motion slows and finally stops. All of this time, our hero has fought, hoping for a conclusive end to his suffering. He finds nothing of the sort. He is disappointed, and so are we. But deep down we know that his tribulations were anything but futile.

Even the manual is filled with lush layers of brilliance. We are promised the powers of X-Ray vision, yet they are found nowhere in the actual game. Our frustration at this reverberates through the halls of our souls, and through the shimmering veil of doubt Superman has cast over himself.

After playing this, I'm really starting to think that they should stop making games altogether. When placed side by side with this epic masterwork, even the most brilliant of games seem shallow, empty and heartless. Continuing the comparison, they are a frozen puddle. Superman, on the other hand, is a warm, living spring of beauty and wonder. It has so many layers, each one containing its own treats and enjoyment. I would say it's like a good book, but what book has ever been this good?

My 'Patented Caboose Sarcasm Detector Machine™' just exploded.

Guest Mystery Eskimo

I downloaded a rom of that game from Kazaa, but it was virus-ridden. I guess I should be grateful.

Guest RenegadeX28
I downloaded a rom of that game from Kazaa, but it was virus-ridden. I guess I should be grateful.

Virus-ridden? I wouldn't be surprised.....