TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Adam

The One and Only SmackDown Spoilers Thread

Guest wwF1587

im actually a little excitted for the show... matt/rey should be good.. pipers pit should be watchable.... big show/brock sounds decent just for the ending...and im a little interested in billy's return... if not just to laugh at him

Guest Ghettoman

I think there's one thing were not gonna appreciate until Thursday.

From the sound of it there was no offical ending to the Brock/Show match, no pin or DQ or anything, the ring just exploded. So that means.....2 number one contenders of course! And we all know what that means...

BUT! Can anyone remember a time where they did something other than the typical third man interference DQ to set up a three way? I think it's great the WWE is finally figuring out good ways to get people over and set up fueds outside of there typical overdone formulas. It's as if for once they got the live crowd to pop big, did something unpredictable, progressed an angle and had an interesting match to boot.

Smackdown just looks gold this week to me, we got the cruiser rematch people are saying was better than the last, we got the introduction of new characters, and old, we get some Comedy with Los Guerreros and Piper actually out of the main event, a limited amount of Mr America, and what should be some fun to watch matches up and down considering all....oh and that ending of course. :D

Guest EternallyLazy
If you people REALLY wanna bitch about title linage, then I have some fasicinating news for you.

If the World title is fake because it was unified with the WWE title, so is the US title because it was unified with the Intercontinental title.

Thusly, this NEW US title is a fake belt. Which means we now have TWO fake titles (via linage of course).

Jesus Fucking Christ! When did you guys become as geeky as Star Trek fans?!?

I VERY seriously doubt 99.9% of the fans out there CARE whether a SCRIPTED wrestling title has real "lineage" or not. Get a live will ya?

AND another question... so by the logic presented here, a fake wrestling world title needs lineage to be anything special right? Okay, so what if a new national promotion starts up? What if Ted Turner gets back in the game and creates a new wrestling promotion that will rival WWE's. He signs all of the remaining big name talent and goes head to head with Vince. Okay, they need belts right? So are you saying for these belts to look legit in OUR eyes (the geeky star trek fan like wrestling fan) then he has to create a title and then have it unified with a "legitimate" world title?? And what if that can't happen? So does that make the new titles "fake" ?

EDIT: note: This is in response to the several posts about this stupid "lineage" bullshit, not just this post I have in quotes

Guest Polish_Rifle

Looks like 2 straight weeks of solid Smackdown from top to bottom. Just cut out the Taker/FBI stuff and the Mr. America/Vince/Zach saga and I will be happily entertained.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

The WWE put the time and effort into unifying those titles (see; we the fans had to suffer though it) and now we can't hold them accountable for bringing them back without any explanation whatsoever?

That seems unfair.

Guest the 1inch punch

as long as Benoit or Rhyno or Eddy gets the belt, i wont complain

Guest jester
The WWE put the time and effort into unifying those titles (see; we the fans had to suffer though it) and now we can't hold them accountable for bringing them back without any explanation whatsoever?

That seems unfair.

[Applauds]

Exactly. When you think of how they completely changed around the belt scene only to say "Oops, we need a few more singles titles afterall" it shows that they have absolutely no long term planning, or even a basic understanding of how to use their talent.

I used to be totally opposed to the brand split, but now I think they should hold on to it just to show they are clearly sticking to SOMETHING.

Guest Austin3164life
5) Funaki vs. John Cena:  Ends in a 30 second squash

This match could have been a lot of fun. *Reads the part about Mr America/Vince/Zach saga and frowns*

I think there's one thing were not gonna appreciate until Thursday.

From the sound of it there was no offical ending to the Brock/Show match, no pin or DQ or anything, the ring just exploded. So that means.....2 number one contenders of course! And we all know what that means...

I never got this. Surely if Big Show called Lesnar out to the ring next Thursday, cheap shotted and pinned him he'd be the World Champion. Technically the match never ended. Technically the match is still going on right now.

Obviously it's not, but in kayfabe terms the match never finished. Of course in kayfabe terms, the HHH/Booker T HV Title Match from Raw before Backlash is still going on, so there ya go.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Benoit is too big for the US title. He was on the verge of winning the Big Title just a few months ago.

Benoit is too big for the US title. He was on the verge of winning the Big Title just a few months ago.

So was Booker T on the other side of the spectrum, and he's going for the Intercontinental Title.

Going back a bit futher, so was BRET HART when he came back into WCW, but he won the US title anway...

Guest Anglesault

Well, they get out of jobbing the fatass again, and Angle's mega bad ass unstoppable face run continues.

Yay.

Guest BifEverchad

I'm interested to see how this plays out on television, be it a stupid finish or not...

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Ok, and that makes putting the title on Benoit right.... how?

Guest Lightning Flik
Ok, and that makes putting the title on Benoit right.... how?

It doesn't make it right.

It's just we at least get him to stop jobbing himself out repeatedly lately.

Guest Anglesault

Anyone else remember when people were getting excited about serious Angle? Where he would be pushed as a main event serious face?

Two weeks in and no offense.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

The way they are working the Benoit angle, there is VERY LITTLE they can do to get heat on him and make the fans think he's worth their attention. How are they going to explain his losing streak? How are they going to explain him rising from the ashes and getting back on track?

Guest Banky

Does Benoit have any credibility left? They could book him like Hogan in the late 80's and no one would buy it. The January 2003 - to present streak of HELL has completely buried him. He is at the lowest point in his career, and I feel bad for him.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

He had credibility right up to his loss to Cena - but then it went all down hill. The brain-trusts at Titan saw the crowd giving him a standing ovation as a _bad_ thing, so in order for the crowd to _stop_ doing that, they decided to job him out until the crowd loses all respect for him.

Worst... Turn... Ever...

I mean, I could see *one* possible way for this to work out, but it involves Arn Anderson.

Guest Banky
He had credibility right up to his loss to Cena - but then it went all down hill. The brain-trusts at Titan saw the crowd giving him a standing ovation as a _bad_ thing, so in order for the crowd to _stop_ doing that, they decided to job him out until the crowd loses all respect for him.

Worst... Turn... Ever...

I mean, I could see *one* possible way for this to work out, but it involves Arn Anderson.

Aside from people who actually value Arn (5% of the company's demographic), that angle would fail too.

Benoit jobbing to Cena did kill him. Cena had the chance of a lifetime to make something of himself, but his terrible in-ring skills are hindering him terribly. Also, his rapper gimmick has progressed very little since WM. At this pace he won't headline any Wrestlemania, and if he doesn't work on becoming a stronger wrestler, he won't make it for the next one. But look on the bright side, Cena isn't exactly getting a bigger push than Benoit these days.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Here's the thing with Arn - he's the Benoit of old. Not stylistically, but in terms status. He was never world champion, he was always in the shadow of others, always-a-bridesmaid-never-a-bride. They have their history in WCW that could be fleshed out. Do the fans know this? No. Could the WWE easily tell the fans this? Yes. Would the fans care? If done right, Yes.

Guest Banky
Here's the thing with Arn - he's the Benoit of old. Not stylistically, but in terms status. He was never world champion, he was always in the shadow of others, always-a-bridesmaid-never-a-bride. They have their history in WCW that could be fleshed out. Do the fans know this? No. Could the WWE easily tell the fans this? Yes. Would the fans care? If done right, Yes.

You sure the fans would care? Think the WWE could do it? I'd say nay for both.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

I say nay for the WWE doing it right, I'd say that it would be difficult to get the fans emotionally involved simply because fans have become so emotionally detatched from the product - but it's still possible.

Guest Banky

Maybe after 5 video packages and a serious push over guys like Lesnar and Angle people would buy it. So yea, I agree.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

If they base everything around Benoit's pre-RR promo about his desire to win the WWE title in order to make all of his sacrifices mean something, and then after he lost the match he sunk into a deep depression, and Arn sees this and doesn't want Benoit to end up like him (Arn could so cut that promo), so he alligns himself with Benoit - helps train him, get his passion back, etc. along with some footage/montages of Arn and Benoit respectively and together, along with Benoits journey back up to the top, I think it could get over.

It would work, and it would be a good way to get Arn out there one last time. For someone who by his own words was strictly average, Arn rarely gets the credit he deserves for what he has done in his career, and him playing mentor to Benoit would be perfect, a feather in the cap, if you will.

Benoit deserves a lot better than what has been done to him for the last what, five months?

Even if they gave him the US title (by tournament or just literally giving it to him) and he spent the next 4-6 months legitimzing it, it would be light years better than what has happened to him. Not to mention better than what Hunter has done with the World title since it was handed to him.