TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Adam

Do you guys ever..

Do you guys know much about Aussie Rules? I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the game that I hold so dear.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

I thought you were talking about Arena Football, considering the Arena Bowl is coming up..

And funny, we don't talk about that either.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

Yeah, me too. I used to watch some Aussie football on KBL in Pittsburgh (now Fox Sports Net, I think), and they always played the American team that was over there. That team always got creamed. I remember this big bald guy on the U.S. squad, and I would laugh everytime he tried to run. That's all...

Guest Vern Gagne

I remember watching Australian Rules Football on ESPN, Friday night after my brothers football games. That was 17 years ago, but I remember enjoying it, especially the the guy in the white hat and white jacket.

Guest Nanks

That guy... So glad to have built a solid rep around here. Nah 5-Star, none of the yanks have any real interest in our great game, I've tried a few times to kick off AFL threads, but not even the one about McCarts got any love. It's a lost cause

I, for one, think Aussie Rules Football kicks ass.

I got to see part of a match on FOX Sports World a while back, it was pretty sweet.

If I could find it on again, I'd definitely watch.

And I'm American too, if that has any relevance.

Guest Vitamin X
That guy... So glad to have built a solid rep around here. Nah 5-Star, none of the yanks have any real interest in our great game, I've tried a few times to kick off AFL threads, but not even the one about McCarts got any love. It's a lost cause

What can I say? You're like TSM's Outback Jack.

I used to love watching it. It used to be covered on either ESPN or FoxSports (I think it was FoxSports) a few years ago on a weekly show. That was a long time ago though. Haven't seen much on it in like 5 years or so.

AFL is a great game, if we get MLB and NFL over here, why shouldn't you guys get AFL in the US?

Guest Vern Gagne

It might be on FoxSports. But I'm not sure.

Nothing different is ever on in this country. That's just the way this country is. It has to be a sport that's popular here, or it won't get any coverage.

Guest BobbyWhioux

I find Rugby and Aussie Football on every now and then. Forget which channel, though. But it's one of those channels that only hardcore sports junkies are going to have, let alone watch.

Good games, though. I usually watch when I can find it.

Hell, frickin' soccer can barely break into the ESPN lineup.

[Overgeneralization] If we aren't kicking the rest of the world's ass at it, it isn't important. [/Overgeneralization]

Guest welshjerichomark
[Overgeneralization] If we aren't kicking the rest of the world's ass at it, it isn't important. [/Overgeneralization]

That's so true.

Guest Vern Gagne

Nope, and the US is a very good swimming team. It's only on during the Summer Olympics.

I love Aussie Rules.... its just so fucking brutal, those guys make NFL playes look like total pussies...

Guest The Czech Republic
Nothing different is ever on in this country. That's just the way this country is. It has to be a sport that's popular here, or it won't get any coverage.

If it's not football, baseball, basketball, or NASCAR, we don't give a shit.

Guest Mik at Cornell

I lived in Australia for six months last year. I saw Melbourne play Richmond at the MCG and I was also in Western Australia when Brisbane (I think) beat Collingwood for the championship.

I also saw Media Puzzle win the Melbourne Cup...from the fence right by the finish. That was total luck tho.

Guest Vitamin X

Fuck NASCAR, and well, fuck baseball too. It hardly gets less athletic than those two sports. Baseball is all about reflexes and vision, and well any sport in which the average life of a player can extend well beyond 35 doesn't seem too athletic for me. And when did racing CARS become a SPORT? Please. It's a leisurely Sunday activity. *cough(for rednecks)cough*

Aren't we also the best in wrestling, err amateur that is? I mean everytime the Olympics come around USA seems to take the gold in everything, yet most of those sports don't get much recognition on TV. I've also heard we're damn good at volleyball.

Guest nl5xsk1

It's funny that of the four sports that you reference as ones we give a shit about, I don't give a shit about three of them.

Basketball is getting so bad that even their fans, media and players question the state of the game. (and for me, hasn't been good since Bird hung up his number 33).

Baseball is getting to the point that the same half-a-dozen or so teams should have their own league, and everyone else have a different one. Teams like KC or Pittsburgh will never compete, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy where the fans don't show up, and the team can't afford to pay their good players, so the team gets worse, so the fans don't show up (etc etc etc)

And NASCAR is a joke to most of the country. If you live in a place where people care, you care. If you don't then you really don't care. Just because ESPN/FOX is pretending it's mainstream doesn't mean that most of us care.

Football is the real national pastime, and I have very few bad things to say about it - and most of my complaints are minor. (but then again, I'm a hockey fan so according to ESPN or FOX I don't know shit or matter enough to cater to)

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I have absolutely no idea what Aussie Rules football is. None.

If it's anything like Rugby, I might dig it. I love brutality and violence in the name of sport.

For what it's worth, I was under the impression that it was similar to soccer.

Guest nl5xsk1

If it's comparable to anything it's rugby. There are some differences in some of the rules and in the scoring, but forced to pick a sport that it has most in common with I'd choose rugby.

And even though I have to admit that most rugby players or AFL players are tougher than most NFL football players, most of them would have limited size/speed to play most positions in the NFL. (too slow to be a defensive back or wide receiver, too small to be a lineman, wouldn't have the experience to quarterback) But put them as a running back or a linebacker, or especially on special teams, and they'd be murder. I think some AFL player was on the Chargers roster a few years ago as a punter and he was awesome, but for visa reasons he couldn't stay with the team.

I see some of the hits and spills these guys take and I'm like "daaammnnn!!". Theese guys, would not have a problem going over the middle in an NFL game, no matter who was going to light him up, from the legendary Ronnie Lott on down the line. He will catch the ball, take the hit, hold on to the ball, get up and look at the guy who knocked him down like he's less than nothing, then go back to the huddle.

The guys are MEN. Nuff said