TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest INXS

Anyone ever heard of these guys?

Guest INXS

I was just watching this documentary on Showtime called "Hype!" and it was about the rise of the Seattle music scene. The show was kind of boring me because I was never a huge Grunge fan but then this band called "Mudhoney" did a little commentary and then it showed them playing. I liked them and thought they sounded pretty good but my first thought though was "Nirvana rip off." I did a little search on LAUNCH and read their Bio which has albums going back to 1988 on the Sub Pop label and the band is still around today.

Anyway, the Bio only says so much and the CD's look pretty cheap so can any of you fill me in a little more on Mudhoney and tell which albums I should check out if I decide to buy a few?

Guest Nevermortal

They were in Black Sheep, the Farley/Spade movie. Never actually listened to them though.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Wow, I haven't heard that name in at least 5 years, maybe more.

I've never been a big Mudhoney fan. They're just another Seattle band. Aside from Soundgarden and Alice In Chains, all of the "grunge" bands sounded ridiculously similar to me.

I've seen a few interviews with the guys from Mudhoney, and they always seemed bitter that they never really made it big.

Guest Eagan469

They did the kickass cover of "Pump It Up" by Elvis Costello that was featured in the movie PCU.

Guest ElectricRaccoon

They've got a really solid split single with Gas Huffer - "You Stupid Asshole" is the Mudhoney track, "Knife Manual" the Huf. Both real decent. Haven't heard much Mudhoney other than that, though.

Guest razazteca

Were they somehow involve with WILCO? As in some members quit to join the other band?

Guest the 1inch punch

Most Nirvana/Sub-Pop fans have heard of Mudhoney.

Thats how i heard of them, anyway

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Mudhoney was a good/decent grunge band from Seattle that while never setting the world on fire did produce some excellent songs, keep an eye out for old albums and try and pick them up used since they're not really worth paying full price for.

Guest myburninghammer

March to the Fuzz, sort of a greatest hits comp, is worth owning if you're curious about them but don't want to own their records. They had their moments...

Guest HellSpawn

I only got one song, its in the SINGLES soundtrack.

Good, but not enough for me to get something from them.

Guest La Parka Es Mi Papa

The song "Touch Me, I'm Sick" should be required listening for everyone.

Guest Anorak
I was just watching this documentary on Showtime called "Hype!"

I actually own the 'Hype' soundtrack and to be honest there's superior artists present on that album for an 'undervalued seattle' band type label (Posies, Fastbacks, Mark Lanegan/Screaming Trees). 'Touch Me I'm Sick' is great garage rock snotfest but I think its stretching it to claim they ever got close to making a great album. Can't remember where I heard it but somebody once described them as 'the Hermin's Hermits of grunge to Nirvana's Beatles and Soundgarden's Stones'. Harsh but pretty accurate.

Guest notJames

Thank you for mentioning the Fastbacks. They're probably my favourite band out of the Sub Pop scene. Funny thing, I always thought the lead singer was Lulu, the cute girl who played rhythm guitar. That is until I saw them play live, and it turned out to be Kim, the mannish hosebeast on bass. Totally misled by the babyish vocal quality. Ugh. Apparently their PR guys didn't think too much of her looks either, considering this press photo I found. Kinda like how they'd only show Ann Wilson from the neck up on most Heart videos. ;)

Guest cabbageboy

I actually have some Mudhoney CDs...the old Superfuzz Bigmuff has some fun stuff on it, but there stuff is REALLY a matter of taste. Piece of Cake is ok and kinda silly at times. They're a matter of taste due to Mark Arm's ridiculously awful vocals, but the band can go at times.

Guest Anorak
Thank you for mentioning the Fastbacks. They're probably my favourite band out of the Sub Pop scene. Funny thing, I always thought the lead singer was Lulu, the cute girl who played rhythm guitar. That is until I saw them play live, and it turned out to be Kim, the mannish hosebeast on bass. Totally misled by the babyish vocal quality. Ugh. Apparently their PR guys didn't think too much of her looks either, considering this press photo I found. Kinda like how they'd only show Ann Wilson from the neck up on most Heart videos. ;)

Heh, I used to think the same thing as well. Kind of reminds me of Shaun Smith, another lower profile Seattle talent with Satchel, Pigeonhead, Brad & The Twilight Singers. The Quality of material he recorded with these projects varied but he possessed the voice of a black soul singer more than your average grunge mumbler/bellower. Unfortunately he did it all in the body of a long haired Kevin Smith lookalike so genuine fame never came knocking.