Character Development Promo #211-B3

Guest Ash Ketchum

---

BACKSTAGE AT THE FIRST UNION CENTER

PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA

JUNE 17TH, 2003

11:29 AM

---

Inside the SWF Commissioner’s office in the First Union Center, we find the Suicide King seated in a high-back plush leather chair. He is busy shuffling through some papers, talking to himself as he reads through them:

"Let's see... 'The Best of The Magnificent Seven' DVD with commentary from Tom Flesher?" He reaches over grabbing a small rubber stamp off the ink pad on the corner of his desk and stamps the document. He finishes up by signing his name on the dotted line.

"Approved. New line of SWF Battleground action figures?" "...Eh, it'll sell pretty good with the fans. Approved."

He puts the paper on a pile of completed documents, turning his attention to the next one.

"Neilsen of the Jungle boxers?" King "What the hell?!?! Who would buy that crap?" "Rejected." King places the paper in a file where he keeps all rejected proposals. Hey, you gotta use something to start a fire. He then picks up a pen and jots down something down on a post-it note. "Note to self: Fire whoever came up with idea for Neilsen boxers."

BUZZ!

King spins around in his chair and hits the button on his intercom. “Yes? What now?”

"Mr. Applewhite, your 11:30 is here," his secretary answers, with little enthusiasm.

"Send him right in. I'm expecting him."

King folds his hands together on his desk as the door opens, revealing none other than SWF US Champion "The Nightmare" Michael Craven. He seems a little nervous about something.

"You wanted to see me? Something about a 'job evaluation'?" Craven replies, gulping at the thought of hearing any bad news from the commissioner.

"Yes... in a way. Please, take a seat, Mr. Craven." King motions.

"You can call me Michael if you wish, sir," Craven answers.

"Same difference. Just sit down." The commissioner has an aura of coldness that surrounds him and projects out of his voice at the moment. Craven takes a seat slowly, almost seeing nervous, like he was fighting The Hville Thugg.

"Now let's see... Mr. Craven... you've done some for me in the past, haven't you? Taking on Nathan Kibagami and Neilsen of the Jungle? You were supposed to BEAT them. You were supposed to soften Neilsen up for me, Craven. I had bruises on my body thanks to you."

Craven gulps as King moves onto his next point.

"And Kibagami? Your job was to soften him up Janus. But he beat you, didn't he?"

Craven becomes angered at something King said, replying with the harsh truth.

"I don't care. I don't do dirty work for Flesher or his crew-"

"And what about Mike Van Siclen beating you for the US Title?"

The Nightmare, caught off guard, tries to explain himself.

"It was an accident! I-I-I didn't-"

King slams his hands down on his desk, leaning over it to get a better look at Craven. His eyes stare holes into Craven's face, his lips slightly curled down into a frown. Craven sulks down in his chair, almost afraid King is going to kill him right in his office.

"I don't want excuses. I want results, Craven."

Still standing, King flips through his papers.

"And one more thing... your most recent title reign."

Craven's arms tremble slightly, fearing that the one thing left will be analyzed and ripped to shreds by King.

"49 days, with 4 consecutive successful defenses? I must say... that's a bit impressive. "

Craven looks befuddled as the commissioner continues on.

"And that Craven Section idea... that was a nice little touch, Mike. I don't know where you got the idea from, but I like it. I like it a lot." He sits down in his chair, turning back around to face away from Craven. "I like the way things are going for you, Craven. I might even see a little of myself in you."

Craven opens his mouth, but King swings his chair back around and leans forward into Craven's face.

"The keyword here is MIGHT. Remember, we've got one thing in common right now, and that is that we're both products of the same league-"

"I know, I know: 'ML Pride' and all that crap." The Nightmare cuts him off in mid-thought. "Yeah, I know about that, and thank you for the compliments, Commissioner, but I was wondering-"

"Why I booked you against Mak for the US Title?" King's lips curl into a smile. "Simple. It's what's I want to see. I want to see you get into that ring and prove to me that you're worth the investment."He eases back into his chair. "You don't wan't to do it? Then fine. I've got a hundred other guys who can fill your spot."

"I never said I wasn't willing to..." Craven answers back calmly.

"And that's not the point."

King gets up out if his chair, standing above Craven. He looks to the ceiling for a moment before he continues on.

"You see, Michael, I know that somewhere inside of you is a monster wanting to unleash itself. Hell, you could probably beat Flesher if you bring your A game. That is... if you still have it."

Craven jumps out of his seat, feeling inclined to respond to the commissioner's doubtful question.

"I do-"

"Then prove it," King challenges. "At 13th Hour, I want to see you tear Mak Francis apart physically, mentally, and emotionally. I'll be watching."

Craven begins to smile as he moves to reassure King that he's not going to back down.

"Don't worry. I'm putting Francis back in a hospital bed. Permanently."

King smirks, patting Craven on the shoulder for a second before he turns around, looking out the window. A light mist is falling outside in the Philly air, the wind brisk and cool for springtime. He looks out into it, still thinking about what Craven could be.

"You keep thinking like that, and maybe one day, people will think of you as the second coming of me . Hell, maybe they'll give you a new nickname. 'The King of Nightmares' Michael Craven. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"

"Sure does..." Craven answers as he gets up out of his chair. King turns around to see Craven leaving his office, closing the door behind him as he walks past the secretary and out of the commissioner's quarters. He walks down a hall, mostly deserted save for a few SWF workers still cleaning up, a smile on his face as he laughs under his breath.

"... But I'm already your second coming, King... and at 13th Hour, Mak Francis will be the first to bow before me... 'The King of Nightmares'... "