TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Hollywood Fashion Plate

DC Versus Marvel (1995)

Guest The Hollywood Fashion Plate

Back in the day, I thought this was a pretty good little series with a great buildup and a totally unexpected payoff (in the form of Amalgam). My biggest complaint, though, is that most of the battles got minimal panel time. Green Lantern vs. Silver Surfer, for example gets one page, and ONE panel of their fight- and you can't even see how

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

Surfer
wins it!

Anybody else have anything to say about this?

Guest Youth N Asia

I was thinking/hoping that each book would be it's own fight, or maybe 2 per book. I didn't think the whole thing would wrap up in 3 issues (since #4 was a swerve)

The fights were lame and some were decided on popularity rather then who should of won.

Guest Steviekick

For the record, Lobo would trash Wolverine in a fight. Admantium claws and healing factor are countered by the Main Man's meat hook and immortality.

Guest Youth N Asia
For the record, Lobo would trash Wolverine in a fight. Admantium claws and healing factor are countered by the Main Man's meat hook and immortality.

Not to mention Wonder Woman would pounce Storm

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

The only good part of that entire series is when the Twins see Batman and Captain America's lives and realize they both did a good job.

The rest is crap.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

I have the series and there are some cool little elements to it, like Peter Parker getting a job at the Daily Planet and hitting on Lois, but it's pretty lame overall. It was a means to an end just so they could get to the amalgam thing and not much is done with the big clashes or the cool team ups that could have gone down.

Whatever became of that Access guy anyway?

Guest Youth N Asia

It was too rushed. It could of played out for a few months and been better

Guest Youth N Asia
Didn't Aquaman beat Namor by dropping a whale on him?

UGH! That was the worst one of all.

Guest starvenger
I was thinking/hoping that each book would be it's own fight, or maybe 2 per book. I didn't think the whole thing would wrap up in 3 issues (since #4 was a swerve)

The fights were lame and some were decided on popularity rather then who should of won.

Yeah, the big 5 fights were decided by votes, so some of the minor fights were affected by that. Surfer/Lantern and Namor/Aquaman were probably the "swing" matches, since they could both believably go either way, I think.

Guest JMA

I hate ALL DC/Marvel crossovers. Some things just shouldn't be done. Case in point, the DCU heroes are like a pantheon of gods while the Marvel universe has more "human" characters. They should never, EVER, be crossed over. And for the record, I'm a fan of both companies.

Guest SP-1

I wouldn't mind seeing someone write that today (ignoring the past one completely - hey, both companies tend to do that anyway when it suits them).

Let Mark Waid write it and let Alex Ross cut loose with the art. They told a hell of a story with multiple superheroes in KINGDOM COME, and I think they could tremendously outdo that with a DCU/Marvel battle/crossover.

When the heck is JLA/Avengers supposed to come out anyway? Or did it stall . . . again?

Guest starvenger
I hate ALL DC/Marvel crossovers. Some things just shouldn't be done. Case in point, the DCU heroes are like a pantheon of gods while the Marvel universe has more "human" characters. They should never, EVER, be crossed over. And for the record, I'm a fan of both companies.

Please tell me that you've read the four original crossovers before making that comment...

Guest Vyce

Wait, wait - Aquaman beat Namor with a whale?

Wait, wait - Aquaman beat NAMOR?????

Weak.

Guest crandamaniac

Yes, Aquaman did beat Namor, in one of the stupidest fights ever

And JLA\Avengers is still a go, with the first issue of the 4 issue mini-series debuting Sept. 3rd

Guest William E

They should have put out single comics for each of the top fights like Cap VS Batman, Spidey VS Superboy, and Hulk VS Superman. The writers should have came up with the winners but then again that would have probably caused each Company not wanting their character's job to the other guy's, so you kinda see why it was based on the fans votes.

I liked how they had Captain America thrash Bane and when Superman and Hulk both punch Braniac out.

Guest Grand Slam

From the little I read, my favorite was the Thor / Captain Marvel fight. Thor dropped a Ferris Wheel on him, then we he transformed back into Billy Bateson to get out of the wreckage... well...

Let's just say it was a "Sports Entertainment" finish.

Guest JMA
Please tell me that you've read the four original crossovers before making that comment...

I've read both the nineties crossover and the Silver Age one. I didn't like either.

Guest JaKyL25

About the Green Lantern vs. Silver Surfer fight in question from the original post, Kyle Rayner (sp?) was the GL at the time, right?

If so, then yeah, I believe the Power Cosmic could destroy him in one panel.

I stopped following comics soon after this happened. Is Kyle STILL the Green Lantern?

Agreed that Lobo would own Logan.

I didn't like the conclusion of the Batman vs. Captain America fight. I mean, sure, they probably ARE around an even match, but in the crucial climactic moment, a Batarang HITS Cap, but the Shield MISSES? Bullshit. I'd like to see the Batarang hit percentage rate vs. Cap's Shield's hit percentage rate.

Guest Youth N Asia
From the little I read, my favorite was the Thor / Captain Marvel fight. Thor dropped a Ferris Wheel on him, then we he transformed back into Billy Bateson to get out of the wreckage... well...

Let's just say it was a "Sports Entertainment" finish.

Yep, Marvel tried to Shazam and Thor threw his hammer at him knocking him the hell out. And Wonder Woman picked up the hammer later....BUT DIDN'T USE IT!

Guest WrestlingDeacon

Wonder Woman was supposed to face Storm and put the hammer down realizing that she had an unfair advantage over Storm compared to how the match was originally invisioned. Although mixing Greek and Norse myths make my head hurt.

Guest Youth N Asia

Yeah, I read the book and know what happened, it was lame (and hammer or not she should of gone over)

Guest SP-1

Wait, you don't like Kyle? I love Kyle. He's no Hal, but Kyle's pretty awesome in his own right. I mean . . . it's not just your average joe with the ring. It's an artist. I mean, Kyle's capable of alot more than they're let him do, IMO. Someone with a really creative mind should be doing more with the ring, but as a character I still love Kyle.

Guest JaKyL25

Oh, okay. I can accept that he's grown with time.

Like I said, I stopped collecting comics back then, and was never a regular GL reader anyway. I had always had much respect for Hal Jordan, though, and when they replaced him with Kyle I picked up a few issues and didn't like it that much.

Though to be fair Kyle was still a major noob with the ring by the time I gave up on the comics. And at the time of Marvel vs. DC here too. What year was it when he took over for Hal?

Guest pochorenella

I sort of ejoyed it. I figured since the final battles were all decided by fan votes they had that particular issue (#3?) mostly done with only those fights left to draw until the votes were in, so they decided to leave only a couple of pages for each fight, and those would be drawn at the last minute.

Also I have to express disappointment with the art, except with the issues drawn by that italian guy, I forgot his name. What became of him, anyway?

And JLA\Avengers is still a go, with the first issue of the 4 issue mini-series debuting Sept. 3rd

It's about damn time. I cannot wait any longer for this.