TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Just call me Dan

14 Shades of Grey

Guest La Parka Es Mi Papa
man, that is by far the most ignorant thing i've ever heard. fuck man i hate kelly osbourne, but there was 1 good track on the album which i found AFTER i listened to it.

Alright, for the benefit of intelligent discussion, I shall now explain why I don't like Staind.

First of all, they really only have two songs: Angsty, angry rocker and angsty, whiny ballad. Every single song from the two different categories are so similar that it's extremely difficult to tell them apart. This is my opinion, based on hearing the first and second albums in their entirety several times each.

Second of all, the lyrics are written as to be so generic that they ultimately end up meaningless. They all express vague feelings of teenage angst, but really don't approach saying anything insightfull about it.

Third of all, the guitar, bass, and drums all lack charactor and color. They just go through the motions and don't try to add anything interesting to the song.

And finally, Aaron Lewis is one of the worst singers I have ever heard in my life. His voice is the audio equivalent and chewing on tinfoil.

Based on the first two singles from the new album, Price To Play and So Far Away, they don't seem to be changing any of that. And THAT is the basis of my claim that I can safely assume the new album sucks.

Of course, all of the above is purely my opinion.

Guest Choken One

I just think they should make their minds up if they are Journey V.2 or typical bland nu-metal...

I recomend they go with a full Ballad set and get it over with...

Guest Just call me Dan
man, that is by far the most ignorant thing i've ever heard. fuck man i hate kelly osbourne, but there was 1 good track on the album which i found AFTER i listened to it.

Alright, for the benefit of intelligent discussion, I shall now explain why I don't like Staind.

First of all, they really only have two songs: Angsty, angry rocker and angsty, whiny ballad. Every single song from the two different categories are so similar that it's extremely difficult to tell them apart. This is my opinion, based on hearing the first and second albums in their entirety several times each.

Second of all, the lyrics are written as to be so generic that they ultimately end up meaningless. They all express vague feelings of teenage angst, but really don't approach saying anything insightfull about it.

Third of all, the guitar, bass, and drums all lack charactor and color. They just go through the motions and don't try to add anything interesting to the song.

And finally, Aaron Lewis is one of the worst singers I have ever heard in my life. His voice is the audio equivalent and chewing on tinfoil.

Based on the first two singles from the new album, Price To Play and So Far Away, they don't seem to be changing any of that. And THAT is the basis of my claim that I can safely assume the new album sucks.

Of course, all of the above is purely my opinion.

I did not question your reasoning behind assuming why this album would suck, but I asked for opinions on this album from people who heard it.

Let's say I aksed a question to about a movie some people saw at a sneak preview and wanted to know how it was. You then decide to chime in and say "The first tow sucked, this one is gonna blow!" Did that help me in any way or even answer the question? No.

I apologize for jumping to gun and stereotyping your first comment as an indication of your knowledge of music, but you presented your comments as such.

I can certainly see your points. I asked the question because I personally enjoyed the 2nd single and I would liek to get varying opinions and explanations from people who HEARD the album.

Does that seem fair?

Guest Choken One

No.

The album doesn't have any bite to it as Dysfunction and Tormented again but

Ya like "So Far Away" ? You'll get a good dose of similar stuff to it (Joe Zane to be most notable)...Don't buy the album because it's meaningless and doesn't go anywhere.

I am not a Staind hater...I think they are "Just there"...they shown they can do some good stuff when motivated but 14 Shades just has this "Let's get Sentimential and get radio ready tracks"...

Guest Just call me Dan

Thank you very much. I believe with the few straight answers I got I'll just DL it and go from there. If I happen to really like it, I'll buy the album for the crisper sound. Thanks to everyone.

I did not question your reasoning behind assuming why this album would suck, but I asked for opinions on this album from people who heard it.

Let's say I aksed a question to about a movie some people saw at a sneak preview and wanted to know how it was. You then decide to chime in and say "The first tow sucked, this one is gonna blow!" Did that help me in any way or even answer the question? No.

I apologize for jumping to gun and stereotyping your first comment as an indication of your knowledge of music, but you presented your comments as such.

I can certainly see your points. I asked the question because I personally enjoyed the 2nd single and I would liek to get varying opinions and explanations from people who HEARD the album.

Does that seem fair?

Oh, it's fair enough, I just felt like chiming in with my dumb opinions.

Guest Shaved Bear
Mudvayne is the poor man's Slip knot...

What does *THAT* say for how much they suck?

You have your opinion I have mine, learn to deal with it

Guest Just call me Dan
Oh, it's fair enough, I just felt like chiming in with my dumb opinions.

Bah, that was just me uselessly flaming, I usually don't do that. Hilarious sig, by the way.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

You have your opinion I have mine, learn to deal with it

I wouldn't say they're the "poor man's" Slipknot. I'd just call 'em another Slipknot. Same formula, same sound. Guys dressed up all crazy playing loud music. Simple guitar riffs, banal annoying vocals, but both bands have a solid musician in their midst, being Slipknot's drummer, and Mudvayne's bass player. Mudvayne has one up on Slipknot, since they've got David Bottrill (Tool, King Crimson) producing them, but on the same token, if they were worth a damn, the cds could be decent.

My overall point: They're pretty much the same damn band, and neither is good.

Guest Choken One

So AOO

What would you take?

Slipknot/Mudvayne or Stone Sour?

Guest saturnmark4life

^Slipknot/Mudvayne on account of Slipknot were never the worst thing ever, as in I can actually listen to them in some capacity which I cannot do with Staind, and Mudvayne have one good musician (maybe two, the drummer's decent).

The sheer notion anyone could EVER think Staind was better than Justin Timberlake has made me vomit all over my keyboard. Justin fucking owns you.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'd take Mudknot. Stone Sour has everything that's bad about both bands, with the more annoying factors of Staind. Terrible, awful band.

Guest cynicalprofit

while they maybe terrible, awful, horrible bands, they are making music and you arent. So go make some that dosent suck then.

while they maybe terrible, awful, horrible bands, they are making music and you arent. So go make some that dosent suck then.

So you have to make music to judge music? Kindly fuck off, please.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Gotta love the "all criticism is void" argument. I'm pretty sure that in a few very rare anecdotal exceptions, it shouldn't hold water anywhere. Maybe for construction of bombs and heavy weapons, but certainly not music.

To stay on topic, I heard another song off the new Staind album the other day. It continues to make me want to die.

Guest whatitistoburn

Staind do a good cover of "Sober."

Oddly enough I'm going to their concert in about an hour. Last time I saw them I was fairly bored. I didn't become a staind fan because I wanted to watch the singer go Dashboard Confessional. And yet here come the acoustic guitars. Oh well.

Guest Nevermortal

Mudvayne sound nothing like Slipknot.

Staind do a good cover of "Sober."

That is one of my least favorite covers of all time. It makes me want to fuck Aaron Lewis up the ass with a two by four wrapped in barbed wire.