TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DerangedHermit

'Zo to sign with Nets

Guest DerangedHermit

From the Associated Press:

DALLAS -- Alonzo Mourning will sign a free-agent contract with the New Jersey Nets next week, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said Friday.

Advertisement

The Mavericks had been interested in signing the former All-Star, but now will have to look elsewhere to fill their void in the middle.

"We found out that 'Zo is going to NJ," Cuban wrote in an email. "Why? A variety of reasons I can't go into, but foremost is that he felt he had less competition in the East."

Cuban deferred further comment to Mourning and his agent. A Nets spokesman would not confirm the deal and a call to Mourning's agent, Jeffrey Wechsler, was not immediately returned.

Mourning can't officially sign with the Nets until next Wednesday.

Mourning was diagnosed with kidney disease in October 2000, and missed the first 69 games of that season. He played the full 2001-02 season, averaging 15.7 points and 8.4 rebounds, but missed all of last year when the ailment worsened.

If he joins New Jersey, he would reunited with former Georgetown teammate Dikembe Mutombo. The Nets, who won the East the past two seasons, are looking for more depth inside to compete with the top teams from the West.

But the Nets also must keep free agent Jason Kidd, who could leave to sign with the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs.

Mourning was Dallas' most coveted free agent. Cuban was in Miami the first day the two could meet to show how much he wanted him as his starting center. Although the Mavericks could only offer the midlevel exception, they sweetened the deal by making it for as many as four years.

The Mavs also were interested in Karl Malone, but he is headed to the Los Angeles Lakers, where Gary Payton also will be signing. Dallas also was going to bring in Jermaine O'Neal for a visit, but he canceled his trip upon deciding to stay with the Indiana Pacers.

Remaining big-man options for the Mavericks include P.J. Brown and Brad Miller, but Brown can get more money elsewhere and Miller might be leaning toward re-signing with the Pacers now that O'Neal is staying.

Dallas won a franchise-best 60 games last season and reached the Western Conference finals, where it lost to eventual NBA champion San Antonio. The West has gotten a lot tougher in recent days, especially with the Lakers gearing up for a run toward a fourth title in five years.

Cuban, though, doesn't seem concerned.

"What other teams do is up to them," he said.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Guest bob_barron

As I said in the other two other Nets threads-

This fucking sucks. I HATE Alonzo Mourning and do not want to see him a Nets uniform at all.

I am happy that the Nets are getting so much coverage on the boards though

Guest Ripper

Another non shooter on a team that needs a shooter.

If the signing of Mourning doesn't bury jason Collins on the bench, I will personally have to find a way to buy the nets just to fire Byron Scott.

And whats up with the no love for Ryan Scalabrine. That guy is all hustle, can hit the perimeter shot, and will get you some boards.

Guest bob_barron
And whats up with the no love for Ryan Scalabrine. That guy is all hustle, can hit the perimeter shot, and will get you some boards.

You're not showing him any love either Ripper.

It's BRIAN Scalabrine.

Guest Ripper

Well...red head guys look like a Ryan, so thats what I'm gonna call him.

[grumbles under breath] damn nets fan knowing the right name for the 12th man on the bench and showing everyone that I was wrong.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

You know, the 76ers could use 'Zo.

Somebody get me Billy King on the phone.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

How many games will it be before 'Zo undergoes more health problems?...

Guest Ripper

Once he has started a season, the kidney problems haven't caused him to miss a game. He missed both seasons when he wasn't cleared before the season. He'll be there for all 82.

Guest starvenger

This fucking sucks. I HATE Alonzo Mourning and do not want to see him a Nets uniform at all.

You think that's bad? The Rockets have Patrick fricking Ewing as a coach. Such a thing cannot lead to any good.

Anyways, has the probability of Byron Scott getting canned now increased?

Guest bob_barron

You think that's bad? The Rockets have Patrick fricking Ewing as a coach. Such a thing cannot lead to any good.

Anyways, has the probability of Byron Scott getting canned now increased?

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA

Don't be dissing Patrick

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Bob do you know why Patrick Ewing Theory is called Patrick Ewing Theory?

Anyway, who give a crap about this. The Nets now have 4 ok centers instead of 3. That oughta turn it around.

Just out of curiosity, how do you score if your players can't shoot?

Guest bob_barron

Anyway, who give a crap about this. The Nets now have 4 ok centers instead of 3. That oughta turn it around.

Yea but Patrick Ewing is one of my all time favourite players- Theory or no theory.

Guest starvenger

Yea but Patrick Ewing is one of my all time favourite players- Theory or no theory.

Funny, Ewing is one of my LEAST favourite players. Never liked him, never will. Kind of like Tie Domi.

Guest Choken One

Smart Move all around...

Mourning will get Georgetown/NY love and that will add some interest but Kidd is almost assured to be leaving...They need to get Gilbert Arenas...

Guest Choken One

I'm just now hearing about Kidd and His deal with New Jersey.

Disregard my prior statment.

But Sweet Fancy Molasses...

Kidd

K-Mart

Collins

Zo

Jefferson

Prepare for ugly 73-65 games New jersey fans (all 18 of you)

Guest Vern Gagne

Where the experts on this one? I heard the Spurs, the Mavs, the Lakers, the Nuggets, most recently the Pistons, and Mourning returning to the Heat. Never once where the Nets mentioned. God, are these so called experts right about anything?

Guest Choken One

Just to throw it out here...

What big names are left?

Payton, Malone, Kidd,O Neal, 'Zo are taken...

Isn't it pretty much the Clipper Kids still around and that's it?

I'm banking S.A try to make up for losing Kidd by signing Maggette to replace The Admiral.

Guest Lethargic
Where the experts on this one? I heard the Spurs, the Mavs, the Lakers, the Nuggets, most recently the Pistons, and Mourning returning to the Heat. Never once where the Nets mentioned. God, are these so called experts right about anything?

The ESPN guys have been saying for a couple of months that Zo and Kidd was basically a package deal. Wherever Kidd went Zo was going to try to go. They said a million times he was either gonna go to the Nets, Mavs, Nuggets or Spurs.

The Spurs have to be pissed about now. All season all we heard was how great the Spurs were going to be this summer. They had all this crap room and they were gonna sign Kidd and about 18 other major free agents and would be unstoppable next year. Well, so far it seems that every other team in the league has stepped forward while the Spurs are still sitting there with 6 players on their roster and nothing but scraps left over to sign. The Lakers just signed half of the Hall of Fame while the Spurs will be lucky to get Olowakandi. Oh wow, look out Lakers.

The Nuggets are the same way. Nuggets have soooo much room, so far they've done nothing but lose Howard.

Guest Choken One

I think the Big Name guys didn't go to S.A because of it being a Small Market and playing second fiddle to Duncan...

I hope S.A doesn't think that Garnett will rush to deal with them...

S.A just needs to sign a Good Rebounder ala Maggette or Brown...

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Spurs need to get either Brown or Brand to fill in Robinson's spot, but if they can't, sit on the cash and don't get guys who don't help you just to say you're spending money.

Guest Choken One

I thought Brand Already re-upped his contract or am I just listeing to the "EXPERTS" again?

Guest ant_7000

Other teams are scared to touch the Clipper players because Sterling can match any offer on Brand, Odom, and Maggette. The players might sign a one year deal and then become unrestricted free agents.

Guest Tony149
The Spurs have to be pissed about now. All season all we heard was how great the Spurs were going to be this summer. They had all this crap room and they were gonna sign Kidd and about 18 other major free agents and would be unstoppable next year. Well, so far it seems that every other team in the league has stepped forward while the Spurs are still sitting there with 6 players on their roster and nothing but scraps left over to sign. The Lakers just signed half of the Hall of Fame while the Spurs will be lucky to get Olowakandi. Oh wow, look out Lakers.

The Nuggets are the same way. Nuggets have soooo much room, so far they've done nothing but lose Howard.

Kidd was always the Spurs' first choice. They couldn't do anything till they found out what Kidd was going to do. Now that they know he's staying in NJ they can move into finding a big man; and their big man was never supposed to be a household name.

Brown is staying with the Hornets. The Spurs would probably want Brand, but with the Clippers able to match the offer if they want, they may not want to take the chance of making an offer only to have the LA match. The 7 footer (I'm not going to bother spelling his name -- many probably don't either) from the T'Wolves is also somebody the Spurs will look at.

Kidd staying in NJ is better for the Spurs as they won't have to blow all their money towards one guy, then having to let him or Manu go after next season. Parker is somebody who will be around a long time if he doesn't get seriously hurt.

Guest Dangerous A

If the Spurs go for Brand, they may pay out of the ass for him, but he's the best available free agent right now that hasn't made a public committment. Brown is good too and you can get him for cheaper, but not as skilled or young as Brand.

Guest Lethargic

But if they sign Brand, Duncan has to move to center which is something he has never wanted to do. I would expect that their big man will be either Olowokandi, Nesterovic or Brad Miller.

Guest Tony149
But if they sign Brand, Duncan has to move to center which is something he has never wanted to do. I would expect that their big man will be either Olowokandi, Nesterovic or Brad Miller.

I would assume if the Spurs got Brand, they'd move him to center, even if he's "small" compared to Shaq.

I guess that's why they seem like they'll target the 7'0 center from Minn. Him or Olowokandi.