TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Favorite creators

In a blatant attempt to drum up some posts (or at least start a "get to know you" thread) I ask of all the comic fans 'round these parts who their favorite creators are and submit a few of my own. Mine being Frank Miller, Alex Ross, Mark Waid, Grant Morrison, Chris Claremont, Tim Sale, Adam Warren, Erik Larsen, and Brian Michael Bendis.

Guest raptor

Here's mine:

Brian Michael Bendis, Kevin Smith, Chris Claremont, Sal Larroca, Scott Lobdell, Judd Winick, Mark Millar, Adam Kubert. On the way up: Geoff Johns, Christina Z (Tigra was pretty awesome), Devin Grayson (seems to be hit-or-miss), Udon, Igor Kordey, Steve Gerber, Bryan Hitch, Christopher Hinz, Scott Philips.

Guest areacode212

Well, off the top of my head, Darwyn Cooke (former Catwoman artist), Greg Rucka (writer, Detective Comics, Queen & Country), Brian Michael Bendis (writer, Powers, Daredevil, and a bunch of other stuff), Steve Rude (artist, Nexus, Superman vs. Hulk), Neil Gaiman (writer, Sandman, Black Orchid), Garth Ennis (writer, Preacher, Hitman), Jill Thompson (artist, Sandman, Scary Godmother, Mick Foley's' latest children's book), Shawn Martinbrough (up until recently, artist on Detective Comics), and a whole bunch of others, but I have a headache.

Guest starvenger

Fabian Nicieza (specifically New Warriors, X-Force and X-Men), Darrick Robertson (New Warriors, Transmetropolitan), Todd McFarlane (as an artist), Mike Stackpole (X-Wing: Rogue Squadron books and comics), Judd Winnick (eXiles v3, Green Lantern), Bryan Hitch (Stormwatch, Authority, Ultimates), Priest and Bright (Quantum and Woody), and some others...

Guest Sassquatch

ALRIGHT!!!

It's about fuckin time this place came alive again.

Since a lot of people are just mentioning writers and artists, I'll do the same thing.

(In no particular order)

Artists:

1. Jack Kirby

2. Neal Adams

3. Mark Bagley

4. Mike Sekowsky

5. Geogre Perez

6. Jim Steranko

7. Gary Frank

8. Gene Colan

9. Dick Giordano

10. John Romita

11. John Romita Jr.

12. Bernie Washington

Writers:

1. Gerry Conway

2. Alan Moore

3. Frank Miller

4. Brian Michael Bendis

5. J.Micheal Straczynski

6. Jim Starlin

7. Marv Wolfman

8. John Byrne

9. Mark Gruenwald

10. David Michelinie/Bob Layton

11. Roger Stern

12. Kurt Busiek

If any of you have any questions about what titles these guys worked on that I am talking about, let me know.

Guest starvenger

>Since a lot of people are just mentioning writers and artists, I'll do the same thing.

Inkers, Letters and Colorists do get the shaft sometimes, so I'll add Tom Palmer, Klaus Janson, Todd Klein and Digital Chameleon to my previous list...

>12. Bernie Washington

I'm not familiar with him.  You didn't mean Bernie Wrightson, did you?

I'll add Laura Depuy and Wildstorm FX on the coloring side. Just got two of their works today (Planetary and JLA: Earth 2).

Guest Vyce

Todd McFarline

It takes BALLS to admit that.

For me, I'd say my current fave is Bendis.  Fave of all time is tough....but I'm a huge Gaiman mark.

For artists, I'm a fan of Mignola and Ashley Wood and Tim Bradstreet.  Basically, dark and gritty imagery is a plus.

Guest Sassquatch

Whoops!

No star, you're right.  I meant Bernie Wrightson.

Thanks for the correction.

Guest pochorenella

I've always liked Jack Kirby's drawing style. Even his DC stuff which gets panned a lot. I loved his Fourth World saga with Orion and his Mr. Miracle Stuff. He's truly the King.

John Byrne is another creator I like that also gets flamed a lot on this forums (or at least the old one). His X-Men and FF stuff is truly inspired. Without him, Claremont was very weak IMO. Byrne's Spider-Man Year 1 is a dark chapter for Byrne though.

Frank Miller's Daredevil and Batman stuff, of course.

Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man, also. Not so much his Spawn stuff.

George Perez, all the way.

Jim Aparo on Batman. Greatness.

Michelinie/Layton combo on Iron Man, my favorite hero.

Jim Lee's got that "superhero style" that I've always loved.

Alex Ross: When I saw Marvels my jaw dropped to the ground.

Brian Michael Bendis. He's amazing.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of others.

Peace.

Guest muzanisa

Alan Moore is the reason I'm still reading comics.

James Robinson for Starman, but liked the first Hawkman as well.

George Perez, Alex Ross, Tony Harris for art.

Guest starvenger

>James Robinson for Starman, but liked the first Hawkman as well.

Um, which first Hawkman?

You know, Zero Hour was supposed to clean up the entire messed up Hawkman continuity.  Silly of me to assume that that would be the case, eh?

Guest The Man in Blak

For an off-beat suggestion, I'll offer Sam Keith for his (early) work on The Maxx.

Guest areacode212
>James Robinson for Starman, but liked the first Hawkman as well.

Um, which first Hawkman?

You know, Zero Hour was supposed to clean up the entire messed up Hawkman continuity.  Silly of me to assume that that would be the case, eh?

I think he means last month's Hawkman #1, which Robinson co-wrote with Geoff Johns.

EDIT: Yeah, Zero Hour made things a lot worse. As far as I can tell, the only thing ZH did was condense all the existing "Hawks" (including the Golden Age and Hawkworld versions) into a single person, who later died or something.

The Hawkman who joined the JLA was Carter Hall, but the one who joined during the point when the JSA was in limbo turned out to be a Thanagarian spy.

And now Carter Hall has been reincarnated in JSA.

Guest J*ingus

Alan Moore is by far my favorite writer. He's so chillingly logical in the way that he'll take an unpleasant concept all the way to its frightening conclusion (Watchmen and Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow? being the best examples).

Aside from him, I'd say Neil Gaiman (Sandman rules the world) and Garth Ennis (not the best writer around, but it took balls to go through with what happened at the end of Preacher).

Guest Sassquatch

I highly recommend that you track down and buy as many Miracleman issues as you can Jingus.

Moore and Gaiman both worked on the book's run with Eclipse in the '80's to early '90's. Moore wrote issues #1- #16 while Gaiman wrote issues #17 - #24. Get your hands on any of those issues and I promise you will not be disappointed.

Guest BA_Baracus

I couldn't name the artists I like the most, since I like all sorts of different styles and my tastes are constantly changing.

Storytellers (not "writers". Many of these guys write and draw their stuff, so their art is part of the story they're telling.)

Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Erik Larsen, Sam Kieth, Mike Mignola, Grant Morrison, Chuck Dixon, Sergio Aragones, Kazou Koike, Katsuhiro Otomo, Kenichii Sonoda, Osamu Tezuka.

Probably forgetting someone, but whatever.

Guest Sassquatch

The books are available in softcover TPB but are out of print and are *extremely* hard to find. The softcover's reprint each of the story arcs that took place in the Eclipse Miracleman series:

A Dream Of Flying (reprints issues #1 - #4)

The Red King Syndrome (reprints issues #5 - #10)

Olympus (reprints issues #11 - #16)

The Golden Age (reprints issues #17 - #22)

The two next story arcs that were supposed to take place were the Silver Age and the Dark Age. The Silver Age started in issue #23 of Miracleman and was going to continue to issue #26 and then the Dark Age was going to start up. But Eclipse went bankrupt and the series was forced to stop with issue #24.

Gaiman has completed issues #25 and has stated that he has been working on issue #26 over the years. The Dark Age has been on Gaiman's mind for nearly 10 years and has said he could tell the story whenever he could get the chance to write Miracleman again.

Guest HellSpawn

Artist

Todd Mcfarlane

Frank Miller

Greg Capullo

Adam Pollina

Tony Daniel

Phil Jimenez

Jim Balent

Writers

Frank Miller

Joe Kelly

Kevin Smith

Jeph Loeb

Fabian Nicieza (former X-men/X-force writer)

David Michelinie (former Amazing S-M writer)

J.M.Dematteis/Keith Giffen/Al Maguire (former Jusitce League creative team)

Guest Grenouille

Artists

Bagley

Romita

Romita Jr.

Ditko

Writers

Stan Lee

Gerry Conway

Paul Jenkins

Probably others that I'm forgetting right now.