TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest alkeiper

Al's New Baseball Column

Guest phoenixrising

Liked the column, especially the analysis of the trades made so far. Also liked the part about sabermetrics and the breakdown for each stat. Where's OPS though? OPS (on-base% + slugging%) is considered one of the best ways to judge a hitter. But that's a minor nitpick. Again, liked the column, and I would read the next one.

Guest alkeiper

Don't know why I didn't include OPS. I probably felt that the other stuff needed to get included. If I do a second version, I'll include it, along with park effects.

Guest DrTom

To me, OPS really doesn't fall into the sabermetric categories. As a roto guy, I look at some of the sabermetrics, and a lot of the indicators are more... geeky... than something like OPS, which has garnered "mainstream" acceptance as a stat. I hate to sum them up in terms like that, but real sabermetrics are like "underground" stats, IMO.

Guest phoenixrising
To me, OPS really doesn't fall into the sabermetric categories. As a roto guy, I look at some of the sabermetrics, and a lot of the indicators are more... geeky... than something like OPS, which has garnered "mainstream" acceptance as a stat. I hate to sum them up in terms like that, but real sabermetrics are like "underground" stats, IMO.

Actually I think you're right about OPS. I remember not too long ago all that was ever held up as the measure of a great hitter was his batting average. In the past few years, OBP and OPS have gone from underground stats to mainstream stats. I think OPS is still kind of on the line...it's beginning to be brought up more and is eventually going to be mainstream.

Guest Vern Gagne

OPS while a good indicator, just seems like some know it all Baseball guy might use to impress his friends.

Guest alkeiper

Mainstream or underground doesn't define sabermetric stats, IMO. It's about how well you measure ability by the stat.

Guest DrTom

I like the sabermetrics Ron Shandler uses in his annual Baseball Forecaster. They're invaluable for player evaluation, and I think reading that book made me worlds better as a Roto player. It was like a light bulb went on above my head.

Guest DrTom

For hitters: the everyday categories (BA, HR, etc), plus OBP, SLG, OPS, BB% (walks/Plate appearances), Contact % ((AB-K)/AB), Eye (BB/K ratio), xBA (Expected batting average, formula in the book), PX (power skill), SX (speed skill), G/F (groundball/flyball ratio), RC/G (runs created per game) and RAR (runs above replacement). For the more obscure stats, they're fully explained in the book.

For pitchers: The usual, plus BF/G (Batters faced per game, used to track arm abuse patterns in starters), OBP, BA vs. L and R, Hit %, xERA (expected ERA), RAR, Control (walk rate), Dominance (K rate), Command (K/BB rate), HR/9, G/F ratio, Strand %, and Base Performance Value.

Shandler devotes a chapter of the book to sabermetrics and explains where all the numbers and skill-tracking categories come from. I like his book because it gives me key insights as to what's going on behind the numbers, and is actually pretty useful to predict seasons and trends.